1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a lot of searching and there is a lot of info here but I am a bit thick and did not get convinced on the varied answers. I am running the Dual Spring Short Guide set up in both my Delta 10mm's and really do not want to change what is working. I was lead to believe the Larger Spring has a Rating of 16 Pounds and the Smaller Spring (7lbs?) which makes up the total desired of 23 Pounds, Is that correct? Plus I may want to try a 20lb (total) spring to reduce potential frame/slide pounding. Which brings up the next question - would I replace with a Long Spring rating of 13 LBs + the 7LB to make 20? Not sure that is how it works but I would like to know. Wolf rates everything but my Colt replacement springs do not have the poundage listed anywhere, not the packaging or the website. Just want to know what is stock in case I want to order from Wolf next time, and or experiment with reducing the Return Spring rate.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,328 Posts
I think you are correct that the consensus is 16+7=23#. I'd suggest upping the mainspring to 25# if you want to reduce the recoil spring rating.
Is there a source, other than Colt, for the inner spring?

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I recommend running a small radius firing pin stop, a 25# mainspring, then experimenting with different spring rates. You'd be surprised how much you can drop that recoil spring rating when you use the new firing pin stop. I hear it's quite a difference in the 10mm, too.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think you are correct that the consensus is 16+7=23#. I'd suggest upping the mainspring to 25# if you want to reduce the recoil spring rating.
Is there a source, other than Colt, for the inner spring?
I do not know of any other source but I must admit I have not looked. I was just looking at options and everything I have read so far says that a 20 LB return and a 21 - 25 mainspring should be "nicer" and that sounds right to me. And I wanted to experiment a bit along with getting a supply of some springs once I drill down on what I have with the double setup.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is a bit confusing and I may be little thick headed but Wolf says in order to use there single spring set up I would need to get the larger diameter guide to use their single 23lb return spring. That would be the simple thing to do I think but I really like the idea of the second spring kicking in at the "end/middle" of the cycle, I like the "progressive" Spring theory. But if I went to the one spring/fatter guide idea then I would l have to decide short or long Guide. Oh no too many decisions.

·
Banned
7,730 Posts
Beak:

I will throw this out there and you can think about it. Things are softer with the dual spring set up and the colt gi de variant guide rod. The inner spring only comes into play that last half to the rear and first half to the front. Unlike a single spring set up say in a 45, you do not get the slam home harder say going from the 16 to 18 and one half. The same is true of using the single spring 23 vs the combo 23. The combo 23 goes home softer. Now the heavier main spring and a flat bottom or small radius firing pin stop may let you go to a lighter outside recoil spring on the two spring set up. I am given to understand some that run the single spring keep the 23 with the heavier hammer spring and flat bottom firing pin stop. Some of them are running barn burning ammunition instead of the softball ten which most factory ammo is now. I have not played with mine that much. I shoot only small amounts of 10mm as my gun is a convertible to 40. Think 45 plus five to ten dollars for ammo vs free forty and you will understand. I do not reload pistol cartridges. The 10mm goes back to battery about the same as the forty five or the forty. It is just the coming to the rear that is a little more pronounced.

Do you shoot the 10 in such a manner or contemplate shooting the ten in such a manner that faster shot to shot recovery is of significant concern? Do you shoot the ten in such volume that you are concerned about hurting your gun at some point in the future? These are the questions I would ask myself.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Beak:

I will throw this out there and you can think about it. Things are softer with the dual spring set up and the colt gi de variant guide rod. The inner spring only comes into play that last half to the rear and first half to the front. Unlike a single spring set up say in a 45, you do not get the slam home harder say going from the 16 to 18 and one half. The same is true of using the single spring 23 vs the combo 23. The combo 23 goes home softer. Now the heavier main spring and a flat bottom or small radius firing pin stop may let you go to a lighter outside recoil spring on the two spring set up. I am given to understand some that run the single spring keep the 23 with the heavier hammer spring and flat bottom firing pin stop. Some of them are running barn burning ammunition instead of the softball ten which most factory ammo is now. I have not played with mine that much. I shoot only small amounts of 10mm as my gun is a convertible to 40. Think 45 plus five to ten dollars for ammo vs free forty and you will understand. I do not reload pistol cartridges. The 10mm goes back to battery about the same as the forty five or the forty. It is just the coming to the rear that is a little more pronounced.

Do you shoot the 10 in such a manner or contemplate shooting the ten in such a manner that faster shot to shot recovery is of significant concern? Do you shoot the ten in such volume that you are concerned about hurting your gun at some point in the future? These are the questions I would ask myself.
Great info - again. I am lucking that I am getting some great new ammo from a local small manufacturer for $26 per 50. new, not reloads, Hornady, FMJ & Hollow points - with about 1200 muzzle velocity - great round. I am looking for more knowledge but mostly to run the best set up for my 10's for long term use and retaining in as pristine condition as possible. I do not reload either and doubt that I will. I have drawn myself down to 3 main calibers, 38 Super, 45 ACP and the 10. I have a 44 mag but that is for the bedroom drawer. I have learned so much on here from you and others like LOG and Rickb to name a few that stand out that I can't stop asking and looking for more knowledge all the time. Great hobby - love the Colt 1911's. Sorry got off subject a bit.

·
Banned
7,730 Posts
I may not be remembering right but I think most current factory stuff is 180 at 1000. This is the equivalent of the FBI ten mil lite that rose out of the ashes of a shooting in Miami. We all found it curious at the time it was just a slight margin above the IPSC 175 power factor at the time. You would be hotter by a good margin unless your bullet is substantially lighter. Protective measures may be in order as you contemplate.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I may not be remembering right but I think most current factory stuff is 180 at 1000. This is the equivalent of the FBI ten mil lite that rose out of the ashes of a shooting in Miami. We all found it curious at the time it was just a slight margin above the IPSC 175 power factor at the time. You would be hotter by a good margin unless your bullet is substantially lighter. Protective measures may be in order as you contemplate.
Thanks - I use an independent site known as Ballistics.com for ammo ballistics info. They rate most 10mm between 1000 - 1400 of the ones they have tested, and even a couple at 2400 Velocity at the Muzzle. I have some PMC HP's 170 Gr that they rate at 1200, my Local Factory ammo feels the same (recoil) as the PMC and mine are 155 HP's & 165 FMJ/Flat Nose so I believe my guys rating of 1200, and they feel very consistent and burn cleaner than others I have tried. For me the 1200 is what I think I would load for if I have to get into it someday.

Thanks for the info Guys - I think I have got the info I need to go forward from here. It sounds like the original question of the combined dual spring rate is 23 allowing for 16 on the longer/bigger return spring and 7 on the smaller inner spring. I do like the dual spring concept from Colt and plan on staying there but I may experiment by dropping the bigger spring to 13 to go for 20 total and go from there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts