1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a Delta Elite 10mm today. The previous owner(7 days) said it would not fire. The primer was barely touched when attempting to fire. I took it apart and found the firing pin bent. I tried to remove the extractor, but it was a pain to get out. I am pretty sure the bent firing pin would cause the no fire, but the extractor looks bent also. I don't remember having any difficulty removing the extractor on my other Colt 1911's. Please look at the pictures and give your valued opinions.http://www.fototime.com/inv/56012D5344FFEB4

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
There could be a problem with the Series 80 firing pin block. It is possible to install the parts in the frame (trigger bar and plunger lever) incorrectly so that the pistol won't fire. Put a pencil down the barrel (unloaded, of course) and hold the barrel up at 45 degree angle and dry fire. The pencil should be launched several feet. If it's not, then there's likely a problem with the Series 80 parts. If the firing pin is bent, I'd replace it. With the slide removed, depress the plunger on the bottom of the slide and then see if the firing pin moves freely. There are numerous posts regarding S80 parts installation. BTW, I live in S. CA and am jealous that you found a Delta.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,285 Posts
I suspect that the firing pin is bent to the extent that it no longer is aligned with the hole in the breechface. The extractor looks OK. Getting the extractor out of a Series 80 can be sort of a three-handed operation.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There could be a problem with the Series 80 firing pin block. It is possible to install the parts in the frame (trigger bar and plunger lever) incorrectly so that the pistol won't fire. Put a pencil down the barrel (unloaded, of course) and hold the barrel up at 45 degree angle and dry fire. The pencil should be launched several feet. If it's not, then there's likely a problem with the Series 80 parts. If the firing pin is bent, I'd replace it. With the slide removed, depress the plunger on the bottom of the slide and then see if the firing pin moves freely. There are numerous posts regarding S80 parts installation. BTW, I live in S. CA and am jealous that you found a Delta.
You are right about the firng pin safety. I have had a problem in the past. Checked it out, but it is ok. I know what yoiu mean about socal. I want a 1911 WW I repro. so bad.I don't think they can sell the New Agent here either. Bummer.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I suspect that the firing pin is bent to the extent that it no longer is aligned with the hole in the breechface. The extractor looks OK. Getting the extractor out of a Series 80 can be sort of a three-handed operation.
Looks like it is the firing pin. I took out the barrel and tried firing it while watching for the firing pin and it didn't protrude through. Are the firing pin and extractor the same as the .45 series '80 GM? Any recommendations on where to purchase with price and quality in mind?

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,285 Posts
I know the extractor is different for the two calibers, and I think the firing pin is, as well. If you look at the available parts, you'll see what's needed. you do need to get Series 80 parts.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
The extractor on 10,40,9 and super you have to push the hook out in order to remove it. This is normal.

The extractor tunnel is in the same location as the 45 so the hook has to make up the difference for the smaller rim diameter. The Extractor reaching over is why it must be pushed over to remove it.

Colt uses .068 firing pin holes in there small caliber (under 45 ) slides.
the stock pins are .062 ish and allow primer flow on high pressure cartridges.

It may be hard to "see" the firing pin stick out. Using a pen (not a clicking pen but a bic pen) dropped in the barrel (unloaded gun) is a good way to check the hit.

Series 80 have an entire range of issues if set up non factory.

Looking at the firing pin and firing pin block will tell you if the Firing pin is hitting the plunger, thus reducing the "hit" on the primer.

geo

www.egw-guns.com

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The extractor on 10,40,9 and super you have to push the hook out in order to remove it. This is normal.

The extractor tunnel is in the same location as the 45 so the hook has to make up the difference for the smaller rim diameter. The Extractor reaching over is why it must be pushed over to remove it.

Colt uses .068 firing pin holes in there small caliber (under 45 ) slides.
the stock pins are .062 ish and allow primer flow on high pressure cartridges.

It may be hard to "see" the firing pin stick out. Using a pen (not a clicking pen but a bic pen) dropped in the barrel (unloaded gun) is a good way to check the hit.

Series 80 have an entire range of issues if set up non factory.

Looking at the firing pin and firing pin block will tell you if the Firing pin is hitting the plunger, thus reducing the "hit" on the primer.

geo

www.egw-guns.com
I should have checked here first, you are right on about the firing pin, I removed the one from my combat commander and compared them,Where is the best place to procure a new firing pin and extractor

1 - 11 of 11 Posts