1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...after shooting some painfully slow Winchester 155gr. Match ammo tonight, (1048fps), and having the gun cycle flawlessly, I may go to a 26lb. unit instead. What do you think? 1048fps is far slower than 155gr. .40 ammo. Heck, it's slower than even 165gr. .40 loads and barely faster than 180gr. .40 ammo (180gr. Gold Dots go 10008fps in my 4" Glock 23). So what does this all mean? Well, if the gun cycles fine with this downloaded stuff with a 23lb. spring, chances are it will cycle fine with a 24lb. spring, which is what I was going to upgrade to. Bottom line, it will still be undersprung.

So, does a 26lb. spring sound like a good starting point to you 10mm, 1911 guys?

------------------
Glock/Mossberg/AR15 *The* Combat Team

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
turbonatr

By flawlessly, I take it that the slide did not slam back into the frame excesivly hard. I would say that this is a good thing, and that you may not be under sprung. If you are going to try different springs I would suggest stepping up incrementally until the slide action seems to be less than optimum. If the slide barely cycles, and drops the empties at your feet, I would say you have too much spring.

I also suggest that you visit the Wolf's Gunspring web site to see what they recomend. They may provide a better recommendation for a starting point.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By flawlessly, I mean the weak ammo was able to generate enough energy to eject the empty case without any type of jam. If ammo as weak as this can cycle the slide without a problem, I would think full power 10mm ammo would be battering the gun, hence the need for a heavier recoil spring.

Wolff doesn't give a recommendation on a spring-rate starting point, they only explain the distance at which brass is thrown and to work off of that when choosing a recoil spring. Guess i'll have to buy a few and see which is best.

------------------

·
Registered
203 Posts
I shoot 135 gr at 1400 fps in my Delta Elite and also have shot 155's and even the original Norma heavy bullet hot loads made for the Bren Ten.

I've had complete success with a 22 lb Wolf spring on a full length guide rod.

I would recommend you also ask Wolf what they recommend. Let us know what they say.

------------------
When the world is at peace, a gentleman keeps his sword at his side.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Don't think of the stock Delta setup as really being "worth" the claimed 23lbs. At least on my gun, the stock setup felt ALOT weaker than a single Wolff 24lb spring. I'd try the Wolff 24lb spring first.

IIRC, you can't put the Wolff spring on the Delta Elite plug; you need to get a standard-diameter 1911 plug or guide rod instead. With a Wilson Combat FLGR and CP shock buffer mine works great with all kinds of ammo with the 24lb spring.

------------------
CastleBravo
The Pit: http://www.geocities.com/mr_motorhead/index.html

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,382 Posts
If the gun is running well, then don't fool with the spring. A pound or two change in spring rate isn't going to preserve the gun, but moving up too much in rate will possibly cause reliability problems. If you're trying to preserve the gun by reducing the violence with which it cycles, try going to a higher-rate MAINspring and/or a square-edge firing pin stop.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Thanks CastleBravo. I'm thinking my 22# spring may be a little light. I'm using a Harts recoil reducer FLGR and buffers I got from Kings so I don't think I've been battering the frame but the 24# would be better if the pistol functions well with it.

Read your past reviews on your stock and then customized Delta. My experience has been about the same. Mine is the most accurate 1911 I've ever had, even better than my Les Baer in .45. I've had the best luck with McCormick magazines.

I reload and my preference has been towards 135 JHP's moving out as fast as possible. I figured if a 125 JHP .357 at 1350 fps has a one shot stop record of 96% then a 135 JHP .40 bullet at 1400+ fps must be better.

------------------
When the world is at peace, a gentleman keeps his sword at his side.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I agree with RickB, run a heavier hammer spring to help take up some energy, either in combination with heavier recoil spring weights or with the factory spring. Have you replaced the factory recoil spring since you got it? You bought it used, right? Anyway it might be cheaper to try that first before buying FLGRs and new plugs and such. I'd definately start with a new factory replacement from Brownells.

[This message has been edited by BB (edited 08-15-2001).]

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bought the gun used, but unfired. When I got it, it was in mint factory unfired condition. The owner of the shop I do business with is a good friend of mine. He knows the original owner of the gun (dude who owned it before me). The gun sat in his safe for years, untouched. He found a great deal on a stainless DE and decided to sell this one, 100% unfired. Not a mark was on this gun. Zero wear on the frame rails and all other metal to metal contact surfaces.

Currently, the gun still has the factory double spring set-up. I tried Shok-Buffs (SB), but the gun doesn't seem to like them at all. I get failures to feed with the SB installed, so I don't use them. Maybe i'll do as recommened above and try a heavier hammer spring before I go crazy.

Thanks gents.

------------------

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I'll pass something on that Brian Bilby told me when he finished my first Colt 10mm:

He claimed that anything more than 22# was for full power ammo only. To prove a point, we started with a 14# spring in my gun, and using my IPSC major load both shot double taps with the gun with springs ranging from 14-26#. When we got the spring above 18 the distance between each hit was increased significantly. The reason, Brian explained, was that the gun was "oversprung" and the heavy spring was slamming the slide home so fast the muzzle would dip, causing accuracy and speed to suffer.

No matter if it was me or him shooting the gun, the effect was the same.

His theory was to find a spring that would not beat the gun up and stop there. He did not believe in the idea that going with with the heaviest spring that would realiably function as this tended to hurt how well one could shoot the gun. All of my 10mm's have 16.5# Wolf springs in them for this reason- it is the spring that I could shoot fastest/most accurately. I use ShockBuffs and my frames are just fine.

Again, when I use a full power pin/defense load I go back up to 24#.

Hope this input helps.

------------------

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I installed the Wolff 24# in my Delta Elite and it was too heavy in my opinion, for the very reasons Brent stated in his post. I went down to a 20# and thats where I stopped. I really think I could drop it another notch, but for now the 20# is working for me.

------------------
No man is above the law and no man is below it. Nor do we ask any mans permission when we require him to obey it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Brent,
Very informative reply, thanks!!

Maybe I should stop worrying about it and just enjoy the pistol for a little while. The stock recoil spring set-up has less than 200 rounds on it right now. I guess I'll put another 300 rounds through the gun before replacing the factory set-up. The gun doesn't seem to like buffers, so I'm going to toss them. Last thing I want is a reliability issue.

The loads I practice with are a 180gr. FMJ at 1100fps and a 200gr. at about 1050fps. My "carry"-type loads are a 155gr. at 1350-1400fps and a 180gr. at 1200fps. Think a 24lb. spring for the carry loads and something like a 20-22lb. for the practice loads is about right?

------------------

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I too have found the Shok-Buffs don't work well with the stock system. To be honest I have always been impressed by the wide range of loads that work well with the dual system that Colt put in the gun. I think they did their homework, especially based on the types of 10mm ammunution on the market in the late '80's, but what 1911 fans want out of their guns has changed.

To this end we all go with single springs at specific weights. Hope your experimenting goes well!

------------------

1 - 13 of 13 Posts