1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a Delta Elite 10mm today. I have heard these guns are hard on the frame & slide and can end up with cracks in same. I took it apart and checked the normal spots on the frame and slide,rear of plug opening in slide and front of frame where recoil guide rests against frame,and did not see any peening at all. Are there other areas I should check? Are the stories true? It has two recoil springs,one full length and one much shorter,is that stock? Are magazines expensive and/or hard to come by? Any recommendations from owners would be welcome. Sorry for all the questions but with all the Colt 1911's I have owned I have never owned a Delta Elite before. Are these guns worth keeping, or more trouble than they are worth?
Thanks.
P.S. I will post pictures when I get it put back together and working.(See my previous thread).

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Congrats on the Delta!

I have heard these guns are hard on the frame & slide and can end up with cracks in same.
No more than any other Gov't. The frame rail above the slide stop opening was enlarged....thus greatly reducing any propensity of cracking.

Are the stories true?
I would say hugely exaggerated.

It has two recoil springs,one full length and one much shorter,is that stock?
Yes, that is stock. Conventional wisdom would be to ditch that system. Use a conventional GI type plug, guide, single spring of 20 or 22lb., depending on load and whether you also use a EGW flat FPS.

Are these guns worth keeping, or more trouble than they are worth?
Worth keeping!! I have 3 and think they are great......

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Congrats on the Delta!

No more than any other Gov't. The frame rail above the slide stop opening was enlarged....thus greatly reducing any propensity of cracking.

I would say hugely exaggerated.

Yes, that is stock. Conventional wisdom would be to ditch that system. Use a conventional GI type plug, guide, single spring of 20 or 22lb., depending on load and whether you also use a EGW flat FPS.

Worth keeping!! I have 3 and think they are great......
Should I replace the plastic spring guide and with who's?
Where do you get your magazines?Thanks for your help.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,285 Posts
Factory mags are great. You should be able to find them on gunbroker or ebay, if you don't want to pay for new (Brownells?). I also have three Mec-Gars, and they have worked perfectly, too.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Factory mags are great. You should be able to find them on gunbroker or ebay, if you don't want to pay for new (Brownells?). I also have three Mec-Gars, and they have worked perfectly, too.
Do you know if the firing pin and extractor are the same as the .45 series '80? I need new ones, any recommendations? Three of these? Wow I'm impressed, and sorry but that makes you an expert to me!!!
Thanks again.

·
Registered
836 Posts
In the last year I have bought two, one stainless, one blue. I LOVE THEM!!!!!
What I did was (optional) installed a FLGR, changed to a Wolff 20lb recoil spring with a shock bumper, added a HD Firing pin spring, 25lb Wolff hammer spring, and fitted a EGW square cut firing pin stop. The 25 lb hammer spring and firing pin stop also slow the slide down as well. My guns also had original springs and showed no adverse wear. My blue pistol's firing pin safety stop looked worn and natty, so I replaced it. They definitely rank high amongst my most shot guns!
Congratulations, welcome to the 10mm club, now start scrounging brass!!!

John

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,285 Posts
Do you know if the firing pin and extractor are the same as the .45 series '80? I need new ones, any recommendations? Three of these? Wow I'm impressed, and sorry but that makes you an expert to me!!!
Thanks again.
The firing pin and extractor are different for 10 and .45. You should be able to get them from Ed Brown, if you can't find Colt parts. Be sure you order Series 80 parts, as non-80 won't work.
You're impressed because I have three magazines? :biglaugh: Everyone should have at least four or five.

·
Registered
699 Posts
The Colt mags are excellent, although the prices are on the rise. Make sure that you get a Delta mag with the removable floorpiece. Colt made some lower quality mags with a fixed floorplate that say 10mm but they are not "Delta Elite" mags.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Colt mags are excellent, although the prices are on the rise. Make sure that you get a Delta mag with the removable floorpiece. Colt made some lower quality mags with a fixed floorplate that say 10mm but they are not "Delta Elite" mags.
I will keep that in mind, thanks. So no one makes a quality aftermarket mag?

·
Registered
160 Posts
In a pinch .45 mags will work. I have two Delta elites, one stainless and one bright stainless. They are excellent guns. I love the 10mm caliber and wish that was the miltary choice but........

·
Registered
836 Posts
That's INTERESTING, I only have one mag that says DELTA ELITE on it, and has the "Delta" symbol. The rest say "10 mm", even the Colt replacements I got from Brownell's. But for all tense and purpose they are identical in construction. One of the new 10 mm Colt mags gave me some trouble but I disassembled it and filed and repaired where it was binding, it works fine now. All my mags have standard springs in them, slowly though I plan on updating the mag springs with the Wolff replacements.

John

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'd like to put my hands on one of these. I've been carrying and shooting Glock 10mm for years and love the caliber. However, I have seen photos of cracked frames on Deltas though.

If you're new to the 10mm and you reload you're going to like it. There's a huge range of loads you can make. Also give Double Tap Ammo a try if you'd like some hotter stuff that performs well. They make a good "woods gun" load with an XTP 200 gr bullet.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Were the cracked frames you observed in pictures on guns before or after the fix? Cutting the "U" in the frme was done to prevent cracked frames? I understand took action quickly.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I am looking at mags for my Delta as well (it came with one that is damaged)

Brownels has 10mm mags from Colt and Metalform.

You might also consider Cobra mags. I am thinking of trying a 10 rd one.

Has any one had exprience with these?

Any other ones we should consider?

I heard Wilson was making 10mm mags and that there were 10mm Power mags but have not heard much about them.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Were the cracked frames you observed in pictures on guns before or after the fix? Cutting the "U" in the frme was done to prevent cracked frames? I understand took action quickly.
I saw them around 1990-91 time frame. Was that before the "U" fix?

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'd like to put my hands on one of these. I've been carrying and shooting Glock 10mm for years and love the caliber. However, I have seen photos of cracked frames on Deltas though.

If you're new to the 10mm and you reload you're going to like it. There's a huge range of loads you can make. Also give Double Tap Ammo a try if you'd like some hotter stuff that performs well. They make a good "woods gun" load with an XTP 200 gr bullet.
The Hornady is pretty HOT, especially for the price. Most of the 10mm is not loaded too hot. How does double tap compare to the Hornady. Who makes the hottest?

·
Registered
285 Posts
The Hornady is pretty HOT, especially for the price. Most of the 10mm is not loaded too hot. How does double tap compare to the Hornady. Who makes the hottest?
I don't know who makes the "hottest" but the Double Tap runs just what McNett advertises. I got 1160 fps with a Glock 29 using his 200gr load with a Hornady XTP. I also tried his Equalizer load, it's pretty cool. A 135gr JHP over a .40 ball.

The reason I like the 10mm is it really is a do it all pistol cartridge. You can use if for hunting, self defense or competition. Just load it up or down depending on your needs at the time.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Chip McCormick sells a 9 round 10mm magazine. I have 4 and they are sweet. with 9 rounds plus one in the chamber the Delta basically becomes a 10 shot .357 magnum:rock:

www.chipmccormickcorp.com

Kings Gun Works sells a steel full length guide rod that allows use of the dual recoil springs. Some folks go to one heavy spring. I am a springmaker and prefer the lower stress levels of the dual springs. If you use two springs, make sure you have springs that are wound in opposite directions, otherwise they will bind and cause jams.

www.kingsgunworks.com

1 - 20 of 20 Posts