1911Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been considering upgrading a .40 S&W 1911 to 10mm for use as a trail gun & hunting sidearm. Would be very interested if I could find a reasonably priced Delta though... and probably better off!

Seems I recall a few conversations about the need for upgrading the recoil system on these. With the gun being out of production for a few years now, how hard is it to find parts: guide rods, mags, springs etc.?

Also, how appropriate would the factory 10mm loads be for things like small hogs, bobcats, coyotes etc. since I don't reload?

Thanks guys,

Mac

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
How are things in Nashville? Lovely city- visit it often.

Anyway, all you need to do to upgrade your .40 to 10mm is switch barrels. All else will remain the same.

If your .40 has a non-ramped barrel I can even help you out further, as I just decided to sell a SS Colt Delta Gold Cup barrel and bushing I have that will drop into any Colt, SA, Kimber, etc. .40 that has a non-ramped barrel. Email if you are interested.

For IPSC Major loads I use 18# springs, when I got to full power 10mm ammo for pins or hunting I use a 22# spring. I have gone as high as a 24# springs for some stuff, like origal Norma ammo.

Whitetail on down you will be pleased if you make good ammo choices. Corbon makes two specialty 10mm hunting cartridges that offer incredible ballistics. Of the readily available stuff the Winchester Silvertip does very well.

------------------

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
The 10mm would be excellent as a side arm. In my Deltas I use a Wilson one piece guide rod w/shok buffer and a Wolff 24lb spring. There are also spring Kits available from Brownells.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses.

Brent if it got any more humid here we'd be drinking the air!

Sounds like this may be the way to go... I'll definitely post when the time comes (read, "when my wife feels it's been appropriately long enough since my last purchase"). Oh well, she's a great cook

Mac

1 - 4 of 4 Posts