1911Forum banner

Delta Elite--Why buy one?

1K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  RickB 
#1 ·
I'm new to the Colt forum here, because I own mostly Wilsons, Browns, Baers, etc. But I'm curious about the Delta Elite. Can you educate me here about the DE, the advantages and disadvantages about them? Who among you owns one, why did you buy it, how has it performed, etc.? Thanks for the education on it.

------------------
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816.

#2 ·
Hi Paladin....
For a long time, I disregarded the Deltas because of the stories about them beating themselves apart with the potent 10mm rounds. Mostly because of what I read on the Forum, I became more interested in DEs. When I found a beautiful used, blue DE, box stock for $475, I decided to take the plunge. To make a long story short, the DE has become one of my favorite Colts. It's just a blast to shoot! Changed the recoil system and added a FLGR with new Wolff recoil spring and I was off and running. So far, I see no disadvantages and lots of versatility.
Regards,
Sam

#3 ·
I bought my DE because I had an interest in the 40cal and I knew the 10mm was the same caliber with longer case. At the price of $440 I couldnt go wrong if it didnt work out. I knew I could rebarrel it and have the 40 but that has yet to happen. The 10 is tough to beat. Load it slow or hot and it just shoots. I changed the recoil spring system and thats all. The 10 is truly a rocket in the hand with the right loads. Its something different to play with and its still a 1911 style handgun.

#4 ·
Why buy one?

Excellent quality 1911
More powerful than a .45 ACP (almost 700 ft-lbs with factory ammo)
More versatile caliber than .45 ACP (135-220gr, 400-700 ft-lbs with factory ammo)
Coolest rollmarks ever
Neato grip medallions

Uh... what more could you want?

Read about mine on my website.

------------------
CastleBravo
The Pit: http://www.geocities.com/mr_motorhead/index.html

[This message has been edited by CastleBravo (edited 12-06-2001).]

#6 ·
I have had 2. One we purposely destroyed to see if they actually do shoot themselves apart and the second is basically unused in the box because I can't really find much use for it.

Brass and ammo is generally more expensive and harder to find. A .45 can be loaded to +p levels and shoot much like a DE if you need that kind of power. Obviously, you can get more power out of the DE but that extra power past +p .45 is what causes the guns to come apart quicker. I guess you do get 9 rounds in the CMC mag but 8 - 9 not much of a big deal but still an extra round.

It performs just like a 1911 in .45 and the quality is there. If I didn't have the other guns in .45, I might use it more.

#7 ·
I bought mine on the day the "Colt's not selling to the public anymore" news broke. I thought it might be my last chance to get a Colt, and there happened to be a Delta at the shop I was visiting. My observations of the gun are: It has the nicest blued finish of any factory 1911 I've ever seen. It is gorgeous. The trigger was quite good, out of the box. I shot a 3" group with it at 25 yards, and since it was me doing the shooting, figured the accuracy is pretty good. I've had one malfunction in about 1500 rounds. My gun was made during what was supposedly Colt's darkest days, in terms of quality. Even with a 25# mainspring and 24# recoil spring, the gun functions with loads that are lighter than .40 S&W, as well as 135gr/1450fps screamers. I also changed my recoil spring guide, choosing the Cominolli Frame-Saver. I've said before, "I don't know what it's for, but I like it."

#8 ·
Had one, installed a heavier Wolf spring kit. Shot factory loads and loaded my own as well. Was okay but not impressive. Also found mine would feed & fire .40 S&W's without any problems as well (guess the only thing holding the casing was the extractor, as the case is too short to headspace in the barrel) - probably not a good idea, and I am certainly not recommending the process, just wanted to make the point that it could be done. Anyway, have two friends who also have DE's - they seem to really like them. Anyway, hate to say this as I am NOT a big fan of S&W autos (always thought, S&W should make the wheelguns and Colt should make the autos!) but I have a S&W Model 1066 with the 4 1/4 barrel and three dot nite sites. It shot circles around the DE, so when it came time to part with one 10mm (financial circumstances went sour for a while) I kept the S&W and the DE went off. Now times have changed and a friend is trying to trade his DE to me for a Winchester Trapper carbine in .357 Magnum. What do you think, should I do it? (Anyone shoot one of these? They just eat up .38 Specials - talk about a fun plinker!)

After all we do have to keep in mind.... the DE is a 1911 (and we all know how we feel about them!
)

Regards all, NAA

------------------
Colt 1911: Best damn "Government" in the World!

#9 ·
JoeMc - As I am pondering this trade of a Win Trapper carbine .357 Magnum for my buddy's DE - do you have a source for a 'drop-in' type .40 S&W barrel for the DE? I am a LEO and our duty pistol is the Glock M.22 - lots of cheap practice ammo around and brass for reloading.... maybe this will cinch the deal if I can get a .40 S&W barrel for it! (And on that note - anyone know of a source for a 'drop-in' .40 S&W barrel to convert my S&W Model 1066 10mm to a .40 S&W?) Thanks all, regards and good shooting! NAA.

------------------
Colt 1911: Best damn "Government" in the World!

#11 ·
NAA, I got mine from a friend who converted his custom with an Ed Brown barrel to 38 super. I would recommend a Bar-Sto for drop in, I've used them for my 9x23's and they have worked great with very minimal fitting.

#12 ·
Paladin,

You may see a pattern in the responses to your post. Many mention the versatility of the cartridge. There aren't a lot of choices in 10mm, esp in 1911.

In my opinion that is exactly why many people own one (I did once). They want to try out the 10mm, and like the 1911.

Those that stick with the 10mm and really enjoy it, seem to be handloaders who can take advantage of the range of options the cartridge offers.

The merits of the 10mm for differant applications are pretty well discussed (violently at times) on the various internet boards we both frequent.

The merits of the 1911,.... well I suppose you could write more about that than I could

Bottom line: IF you're asking....you know you're gonna try one out sometime

#13 ·
John--You know me so well....

------------------
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." --Thomas Jefferson to Charles Yancey, 1816.

#15 ·
Yeah, I bet you feel REAL bad about that! Well, at least we can split the cost of a therapist.

BTW, got my frame and slide in from Baer and will send out to CT Brian next week.

Delta sounds like a nice piece. I'm not sure about needing to try 10mm, though. I've settled in with .45. Having one sent out to Dane Burns sounds like it could work for next year, while I'm shooting my custom from Tim. Always need to be thinking one step ahead....

------------------

#16 ·
"....the second is basically unused in the box because I can't really find much use for it."

JamesP.,
I can think of a use for your unused DE... In my safe next to my other one would be a great use for it. If you want to let it go to visit with mine permanently, let me know..$$$$ ?

Paladin,
They are a nice made weapon when colt was still Colt. Also what helped was the fact that the 45ACP will never match power to the mighty 10mm when loaded to factory stock loads. The biggest factor was I was able to buy the pistol NIB from my dealer OTD for 540.00 way back when ! I knew the 10mm was not going to stay on top as a great POPULAR cartridge.... Colt would stop production...become a collector's item, and it would eventually double value as it almost has...

They are "Elite"

Dennis

#17 ·
Well, just to pass along my experience from several years back... It was a four star disaster. I bought the DE 10 new, gave it a good cleaning and lube, and proceeded to test her out. As a preface, let me say that I really like shooting my 44s and +P45s, so the recoil was not an issue for me, but for the record, I really feel it is something to seriously consider in this particular offering from Colt. As I began to shoot, something just didn't feel right. The slide slammed so hard into the frame with each cycle, I really became concerned. Then I found out why (or part of the reason...) Each and every case was being ejected w/a large bulge in the base. A quick check of the seating depth of the cartridge in the chamber revealed that COLT DRILLED THE CHAMBER DEPTH ABOUT 1/16" TOO SHALLOW!! Wow.. I couldn't believe it. So, I took it back to the shop I bought if from, and they promptly made the appropriate calls and got me a new barrel. And guess what?? The next one had the same problem. A further check into Colt's inventory of those barrels revealed that they were ALL drilled too shallow.... every single one. Talk about a QC problem. Really made we wonder. Then Colt went "anti-publik", and I through in the towel. I can get the power from other calibers cheaper, and I don't have to modify them to stop from self destructing. I also don't see the sense in doing business w/ a company that doesn't want to do business w/me, but that's another story. If you do go for go it... good luck, I think you'll need it. My answer? Now, don't all you 1911 fans scream... was to go with H&K's 45 and 40, and load to +P levels for those times I really want the punch. They are desinged for it from the get-go, have never given me a FTF as a result of mechanical problems, and, due to the dual recoil spring design are infinitely softer with felt recoil then any comparable 1911 frame caliber. Am I nuts about shooting a half-plastic gun? Not really, but they keep working, and working, and working... so it's a matter of tradeoffs. Just something to consider.

#18 ·
Anyone have the same recoil problem with the DE as BenShootin? If the chamber mechanics were the same for all, I would think that others would have the same problem. Also, are there particular serial numbers that were made at a "higher quality" time for Colt? Several here have referred to a point in time after which Colt had particular QC problems.

------------------

#19 ·
My point about QC was that my gun was made when Colt was supposedly at their nadir, yet it is one of the nicest guns I own.
Ace Custom (of .45 Super fame) makes a .40 conversion kit for the Delta, consisting of a barrel, recoil spring and magazine. Other companies make .40 barrels, but the Ace kit might be the easiest way to go.
Colt went anti-public? Man, I can't believe anyone still believes that stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.