1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings to all. Need advice. Friend is selling his Colt DE, been fired, but can't tell it by looking. Have read somewhere in this forum about weak springs and damage to pistol because of this. What should I look for? Should original springs be replaced? If so, what should they be replaced with? Is $500.00 a fair price? Thanks to all, really love this place!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Definately a fair price. I have seen them around me on consignment for about $700.

------------------
Simian

NRA Life Member

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Da$n ahh Darn good price. Get Wolff extra power springs. I've got 2 DE's with mega rounds through them and they function fine. Only changes I've made is when I purchased them I installed extra power Wolff springs and Bar-sto barrels.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Go for it at that price - but get heavier Wolf springs if you are going to shoot full house 10mm in it.
NAA

------------------
Colt 1911: Best damn "Government" in the World!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Darn it all, you guys are forcing me to trade paper for steel(could this become a problem?). Looks like I'll become an owner of a DE. Would still like some more of your excellent advice on springs(poundage),(what comes stock?), full lenght guide rods, ammo/#spring, or any thing else you experts can help a novice out with. ((In Service, are you referring to Jessie?)) ((BC, what is a "milder spring"?)) Does anybody know how many DEs were manufactured? What years? Thanks, BC, CB, hoser, Simian, sousana, and In Service. cec

·
Registered
149 Posts
The DE has a dual spring assembly. Early guns had a plastic guid rod which you probably want to change. You should stay with a standard (short) guide rod, the long ones has no documentet advantages, they even make the gun harder to take apart. Your options 1) replace dual spring with singel spring, you will need new standard spring guide and 23/24 lb spring 2) keep dual spring, get new DE steel guide rod, keep inner spring and replace outer spring with 19/20 lb.

[This message has been edited by 10mmfan (edited 10-02-2001).]

[This message has been edited by 10mmfan (edited 10-02-2001).]

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Not using a FLGR in a DE is IMHO a mistake.

(How's that for acronyms?
)

Depending on the ammo, 10mm can be up to 50% more powerful than comparable .45 ACP. I say go for every potential improvement in the recoil setup you can get, no matter how small. It is basic mechanical engineering that a FLGR will ensure the more uniform compression and expansion of the spring than a stubby plug. I would recommend a steel FLGR, 24lb Wolff recoil spring and a CP shock buffer. This arrangement has proven utterly reliable in my Delta Elite with all kinds of ammo.

Will sticking to the stock setup cause horrible problems? I doubt it, unless you plan on firing lots of max loads out of your gun. But it is rather weak... the claimed total of 23lbs for the two springs is almost certainly bogus. And the upgrades I described are quite cheap.

------------------
CastleBravo
The Pit: http://www.geocities.com/mr_motorhead/index.html

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Some good input on both sides of the guide rod issue.

In my Bilby custom Delta Gold Cup I use one because I like any weight I can get to speed up double taps. It really doesn't make the gun hard to take apart, just requires a bushing wrench. I switch back between 16, 18 and 24 pounds springs too with this gun.

In my carry DE, which is box stock I stuck with the factory system because it works, and I like being able to charge the gun with one hand (in the veeeeery unlikely event this was needed).

------------------
NRA, USPSA, IDPA and MCRGO member
http://www.ehhs.cmich.edu/~bchamber/10mm.html

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,282 Posts
I've got the Cominolli frame-saver in mine, which is a kind of "belt and suspenders" set-up; full-length rod, with shok buffers both behind and in front of the guide rod head. It does work, and the buffers are still in decent shape after 1500 rounds of various power. I use a 24# recoil spring, and have found the gun will still function reliable even with light fairly light loads.

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
So, who sells a Delta Elite factory type recoil guide in all steel? Hey cec, I picked up my blue Delta Elite yesterday. Enjoy your new DE.
Regards,
Sam

[This message has been edited by SamColtFan (edited 10-06-2001).]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts