1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Gov Delta Elite this week and at first I thought I was going to have to do something about the trigger as it was really really stiff. It must have been almost new (looks it)because the trigger is much better after dry firing a couple of hundred times. I was wondering if those alluminum triggers are a pain to replace and if they are just to look cool or if they actually help with the trigger pull. Are they just for overtravel adjustment?
Here is my 10mm

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,290 Posts
I left the steel trigger in my Delta, because long, steel triggers are so rare, and it looks cool. Unless you are going to have a trigger job done, one that would reduce the trigger pull below four pounds (my Delta goes 5+), the steel trigger is fine. Most aftermarket triggers are slightly oversize, so some material has to be removed for a perfect fit. The last time I put a Videki trigger in a Colt, it took no more than a little polishing off the top and bottom of the shoe, and it slipped right in.
Your gun appears to be a very early production model; mine is circa 1990, and it doesn't have the "10mm Colt Auto" on the right side of the slide. Nice gun.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. Actually the trigger and the mainspring housing are nylon (aka plastic) so I suspect its a later production .. I don't really know. I got a good deal on it and carved and scrimshawed the faux ivory grips myself.

Thanks again... I may just stay with the plastic trigger now.

·
Super Moderator
22,290 Posts
It is definitely an early gun; the "enhanced" models came out in '92, and only the early guns that I saw photographed for gunrag articles had the second line on the slide rollmark.

·
2,953 Posts
Rick,

I am curios about that plastic trigger. Wouldn't be an earlier gun than yours with the steel trigger correct? I think the first Deltas had the steel trigger along with the early series 80 guns. I think the plastic triggers are a late 80s early 90s "and on" feature. Is it possible that the two lines you talk about aren't consistent with model year?

From what I remember, the delta elite came about somewhere in 85....is that correct?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the guesses on when it was made. I must admit I really like it a lot. Fun to shoot. I still can't believe the white dots blew off the first time I fired it (two of them). I fixed them up just fine though.

shiro

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
Originally posted by shiroikuma:
Thanks for the replies. Actually the trigger and the mainspring housing are nylon (aka plastic) so I suspect its a later production .. I don't really know. I got a good deal on it and carved and scrimshawed the faux ivory grips myself.

Thanks again... I may just stay with the plastic trigger now.
Hello shiroikuma....
Nice Colt! Great job on the grips. Are they designed from Pacific Northwest indian art? Do you have an extra set of grips you could let me borrow?

Regards,
Sam

·
Super Moderator
22,290 Posts
re: Date of production. Shiroikuma's gun looks just like the one tested in Guns & Ammo in '85 ('87?). My gun, circa 1990, has the metal trigger but only "GOVERNMENT MODEL" on the right side of the slide. I don't think Colt used plastic triggers until the early '90's, so the pictured gun has apparently already had a trigger change. I've always preferred the fine, vertical cocking serrations on the pre-enhanced guns, so it's a very cool gun, plastic trigger and all.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I'd bet you live in Alaska. I lived there for 10 years. Nice gun, nice grips. Where'd you find that thing?

I never thought about it but I'd bet some fossilized ivory grips would really look great on mine.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Samcoltfan.. Well if you throw money at me I might do some for you..
They are done using the stylistic conventions of the Northwest coast native americans.. I did a paper on them once. I thought they would looks screaming on a pistol grip and they do! It's definatly a matter of taste though as they are bold and in your face for handgun grips.

Now if I just had a .45 Winchester Magnum grizzly auto to put em on..

Rick B I doubt the trigger was switched as the gun appeared almost unfired when I bought it

JiminCA -yep Alaska and it's still pitiful for bears but better than a stick in thier eye!

shiro

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
My Delta Elite had the plastic trigger that I had replaced with a solid Videcki trigger. The trigger pad itself felt better than the plastic to me, but most of the improvement came from the work done by the gunsmith in installing it and fiddling with the other parts of the mechanism. If you have ANY work done on the guts of your gun, don't fool around... send it off to somebody top notch like BCP. (I did otherwise and got screwed... fortunately no permenant damage
)

------------------
CastleBravo
The Pit: http://www.geocities.com/mr_motorhead/index.html

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
CastleBravo... that is a sweeet custom delta Elite you have on your page. Did the slide have to be milled to put the sights on?

You have quite the 10mm collection.

shiro

1 - 13 of 13 Posts