1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here's a memo I found online that explains how the Democrats think they can change a few words in their anti-gun rhetoric and we'll all be more than happy to vote them back into power

http://www.grievousangel.com/DLCMemo2003.pdf

note that the memo explains (accurately, one might say) that Democrats are viewed as gun-grabbers.. the memo doesn't dispute this at all, nor does it try to change this mentality.. it merely tries to twist the 'facts' to sound supportive of gun-owners, while actually doing nothing to change the Dem's anti-gun activity.. note the section that says to stop saying "gun control" and start saying "gun safety".. it's all semantics.. don't be fooled

the memo claims that 56% of all gun owners support MORE gun control laws

85% of gun owners support closing the 'gun show loophole'

and 66% of us support renewing the AWB

·
Registered
490 Posts
Ever since the traditional Democratic party was hijacked by the left in '68, this has been their schtick: CAMPAIGN to the CENTER, but if you get into office, GOVERN to the LEFT. Otherwise, they'd never get elected...:hrm:

·
Registered
983 Posts
What they're describing here is attacking our weakness, the "What do you need THAT for" gunowner.

The gunowners that only care about THEIR guns, that don't care about bans in other categories, or bans that don't affect them.

In short, it's describing a divide and conquer strategy, that people will always accept "present gun control laws + 1".

The NRA needs to address THIS more perhaps than anything else. IMHO, they need to campaign to their own members of the need for this unity, cut back a bit on this "sportsman" crap.

Are you listening, NRA leaders? Use UNITY to fight DIVISION.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I'm not sure if I posted this here or elsewhere but, if we aren't careful this will work. Example, many of my friends are hunters. They care about hunting rights/land use etc., but couldn't care less about the AWB, my handguns, carry laws and much less your handguns or your rights.

They claim the NRA is more about hunting rifles and hunting rights than all other gun issues. Frankly, I'm starting to believe they are correct. Possibly many more are agreeing as well, look at the number drops in membership, while other gun rights group are slowly adding members.

One thing you'll rarely get a hunter or sportsman to understand is, if my rights are gone, they will be next. Generally, they see most of us a targets, plenty of other rights will be attacked before them or theirs. One friend told me, if I wanted to enjoy firearms I should become a hunter. That way when the anti's are finished with "us" they might feel they won and forget about the hunting crowd. If this is truely the way most hunters feel, we are already divided and our days are numbered.

Where are the old days when gun ownership was gun ownership and ALL gun rights and gun owners mattered, even if only among ourselves?

Michael

·
Registered
865 Posts
The Democrats new efforts to get gun owners votes can be covered by an old saying:

"Fool me once; shame on you. Fool me twice; shame on me."

The only thing the Democrats have changed regarding their position on guns is their words. Their desire to ban them is the same.

·
Registered
137 Posts
They're taking Zell Miller's advise when he stated that (and I paraphrase) "most people may support gun control but people don't want you talking about it...". He made this statement in his new book. I never really quite reconciled that statement with reality but who am I to know?

I think the Democrats know that they have really scared the center away from them and they are trying to lure them back in with talk of "common sense".

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree.. they know they lost the 2000 election because of Gore's anti-gun stance.. (not to mention he was a pathological liar, but we're not going there right now).. and with the country becoming even more security-conscious after 9/11, Democrats have realized that beating the anti-gun drum is going to keep losing them votes

but they can't switch their position or they'll lose the support of the soccer moms who refuse to allow guns in their homes, and ask their children's friend's parents if there are guns in their house before the kids are allowed to play there

so the Democrats have latched back onto the word game.. they realized "control" is bad.. but "safety" is good.. the actions are the same.. but the words are changed to increase public support

this is the same thing they did to convince women that killing unborn babies is a good thing.. they called it "choice" and appealed to a woman's freedom... how ironic that they use the same logic to take away our freedom

but such is the Democrat hypocrisy.. they want to take away our right to freedom, ensured by our ability to defend ourselves, something specifically declared by the Constitution, while defending a woman's decision to kill a defenseless unborn child via abortion, which is never mentioned in the Constitution, by declaring it a woman's "right"

·
Registered
197 Posts
DemocRATS Plan

While I dislike partisan politics, the fact is in Michigan the majority of the DemocRATS are anti gun.Some of them in the Detroit area are fanatical about controling guns. I wont identify them but we know who they are. John Dingell is a damn good dem but in the minority.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
This is why I hate catch-phrases.
"gun safety"
"assault weapons"
"smoking gun"
They can mean whatever the user wants them to mean. Or they can mean nothing at all. They work well in newspaper headlines fed to a general public who's too lazy to search for the real meaning.

"Gun safety" is especially dangerous because nobody can refute the need for it. We need to be especially clear that "gun safety" pertains to the physical handling of firearms, NOT to any political spin from either side.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Reply tn Scooter 45

Scooter you are right on target with the catchy phrases they use. More good ones SPRAYING BULLETS ,AUTOMATIC WEAPONS and COP KILLER BULLETS. Beware of Americans for Gun Safety. It is a smokescreen for more gun control

·
Registered
504 Posts
tn_shooter is right on the money: I've run into some of that elitist attitude all too frequently among "sportsmen." The skeet/trap/clays people are the worst - Ducks Unlimited and Quail Unlimited have members in the tens, maybe hundreds of thousands, but they NEVER take a pro RKBA stand. They have NO apparent problem with keeping handguns and "AWs" restricted, and generally support keeping guns expensive and limited to "their kind of people."

Even some of my fellow local grassroots NRA members have made comments from time to time like "well, I wouldn't want someone like THAT having a a gun", referring generally to a younger, 'hip hop' looking person.

I look around and say, okay, if HE/SHE doesn't get involved in shooting and RKBA, who's gonna be around when WE'RE gone - at 51, I'm one of the YOUNGER members of our group.

And the racist/classist roots of gun control once more raise their heads.

[/rant off] :mummy: :D

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
The "sporting purposes" angle was precisely one of the ways credibility was drifted away from anyone who saw firearms as universal tools for self defense etc in the U.K. in the 1960s/70s.

If the "gun lobby" were to simply focus on this and hammer away at it, grabbing the assaulting bulls by their horns and denouncing their agenda as anti-human rights and anti-American, we might see some real progress. A clear delineation in the battlelines is needed, and then a relentless pounding where it counts.

·
Registered
504 Posts
RKBA = Right to Keep and Bear Arms. Kind of a shorthand for pro-2nd Amendment rights in general. :cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts