1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was really thinking about getting a compact/micro/ultra or whatever its called 1911 for CCW but every manufacturer forum I read many horror stories about how they have many problems with them and have to do a lot of work to get them as reliable as the Glocks/Sigs/Hk's are out of the box for many thousands of rounds after. Is this pretty much how they are or is it just a dumping ground for angry fans.

Thanks

jtcannonball :hrm: :hrm:

·
Premium Member
20,405 Posts
No dumping ground...this is the forum for 1911's. You'll find many short fans. I just happen to be of the old school...the shorter you go, the more chances of malfunctions you have. I've been carrying 1911 platforms for 35 years, and have experience with most. Personally, I believe nothing shorter than a Commander is reliable, WITH THE EXCEPTION of the Kimber 4" Compact and Pro models. They are bull-barrel accurate pistols. Notice, I didn't say the Ultra versions. I still believe in the 5" guns, but do have two Kimber 4" guns that have been very reiliable, and have been for several years.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Stick with a 5" 1911. The shorter models can be problematic. It's hit or miss with those. There are definate advantages with a 5". If your worried about weight, go with an alloy frame 5". You will find it just as easy to conceal and carry a 5" 1911 as a Commander or Officer model.

The 1911 requires more attention and TLC than other guns. But in the right hands they are probably the best fighting gun there is. It takes more of a commitment to carry a 1911. But it's certainly worth it.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I have a Para LDA Carry Model (3 inch barrel) that I'm not real happy with. The slide cracked at the muzzle (right through the front sight dovetail) after about 300 rounds. According to Para, the recoil "system", a guide and two springs for $30, should be replaced every 3000 rounds. This is clearly not a gun that was designed to be shot a lot. I'm selling mine to get a S&W M&P compact.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
PS The gun was pretty reliable, feeding just about everything. The only problem was a few stove pipes which I attribute to the "new and improved" Para PXT extractor. This is another reason why I am selling the pistol; the PXT extractor is a problem and you can't go back to the stock (JMB) part as the slide will accept only the new "wonder part". I will never buy another Para.

·
Banned
758 Posts
I have never had a single failure with my Colt 1991 compact or 1991 fullsize, yet a good range buddy of mine got rid of his glock because of constant problems.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Never met a series 80 Colt or Para Ordnace that I liked. But that's just me.

I think Springfield is were it's at now.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
im still a little skeptical of the smaller ones, buts because the only one i had smaller than a commander was a defender. i bought it used and even though it looked like new i had to do quick a bit of polishing and adjusting to get it to run right.

i would love another defender though, i miss that one.

and as far as the comment on springfield, i agree. my gi45 has been 100 percent out of the box. i carry it on duty and off.

i dont for a second think that 1911's are unrealible, although my only compact one gave me fits. i do think that the design is better in the full size and commander size though.

i would like to find either a defender, or find a springfield of the same size, for off duty carry.

right now springfield is putting out some great work horses, ( hee hee no pun) while i cant find a decent priced colt anywhere around.. lol

russel
SDMF

·
Registered
461 Posts
My 3" Kimber (1st gen) has been 100% reliable, but if I were looking for a another compact I'd go with a 4" on an officers frame. I think that's the sweet spot.

·
Registered
15,317 Posts
blinders

There are only 5" 1911s; shorter guns become something else.........

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have a 5" Kimber, a 4" Colt and a 3" Micro. I carry the 4" and 3" 'cause they are the ones that run. The Kimber is really set up for target. All the horror stories I read on the internet are not borne out around me. I'm not saying they don't have troubles on occasion just that any pistol can have troubles. All the folks I know who own and shoot compacts seem to be doing just fine and that's quite a few. I asked a dealer who can't seem to keep them in stock how many were returned for warranty work and he said the % runs about the same as everything else he sold.

Early on they did have a number of issues but I think things have improved a lot the last few years.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Have 3 Kimbers, one of each size, Team II, CDP 4" and CDP 3". The only malfunction that comes to mind was with the Team II a single stovepipe in the 5" while it was brand new.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am really interested in the 1911 design because I like the ability to have a palm and external safety for carrying as apposed to my Glock G17 which has just there trigger safety. After looking at a Colt Defender and a Springfield Loaded Ultra (I think?) I really like these sizes, but if there not real reliable I would spend the same amount and wait till January and get the HK 45c when it comes out.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,299 Posts
So, a gun that has been in production for 25 years is more of a risk than a gun that hasn't even been released, yet? Reminds me of the guys who waited for a 1911 from SIG (or S&W), as if a company with zero experience could make a better one than companies that had been making them for decades. I would trust no gun based on a report or even a reputation (Glocks have an excellent reputation for reliability, but I rarely see one go 100 rounds without a malf, so you won't sell me a Glock on reliability). My compact 1911 wouldn't go ten rounds in a row, when I first got it. A bit of tweaking, and I think it's been 1000 rounds since I had a problem. You'd think the tweaking would be done at the factory, but I'll trade extra attention for the result. Sort of like tuning and balancing the carbs on an old Jag (or, in my case, an old Triumph); a hassle to do, but when you get it right?

·
Banned
721 Posts
RickB said:
(Glocks have an excellent reputation for reliability, but I rarely see one go 100 rounds without a malf, so you won't sell me a Glock on reliability).
You must be a jinx on Glocks or something. I've been shooting Glocks and been around literally hundreds of Glock shooters (I ran a range for a couple of years) and I have rarely seen a Glock malfunction. My Glocks certainly can go 100 rounds, 1000 rounds or even 10000 rounds without a malfunction. I have one Glock that I've had for many years that's well over 10,000 rounds and it's only jammed once that I can remember.

So, I call BS. :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just went to the range yesterday with my Gen 2 Glock 17, to test it out after putting some texture on the grip. 150 flawless rounds. I usually shoot between 150 -500 rounds per trip. I have owned this Glock for 15 years.

I think something is wrong if you experience 1 failure per 100 rounds. Glock will probably give you a new gun to replace the problematic one if you call them.

I've also shot my S&W 1911's (yes, I own more than 1), with similar reliability track record with the exception of a couple of after-market magazines (Mec-Gar 10 rounders). So to me, this new, unexperienced 1911 producer is doing well.

One quick point about companies: People with experience can move from one company to another. S&W apparently have the help of some former Colt and/or Springfield people, and they have collectively put in a lot of thought into the S&W 1911 line. I would hardly consider them lacking experience with the 1911 platform.\

[EDIT]: Ah, forgot to add that I've shot 2 Springfield Champion 4". One with bull barrel and one with a compensator. Both proved reliable beyond 200 rounds, at which point my hand and wrist start to complain.

·
Registered
474 Posts
My first gun was a glock. I loved it, so much I bought and traded more. I still love them. They are great guns. I have a Sig that I love with zero problems. Have a Walther PPKS that I just got too not long ago that is nice.
I always had a 1911 in the back of my mind for a long time, but when I went to go buy one, I would always get something else, like my Sig, or another Glock. I finally got a 1911 not long ago and completely fell in love. I fell in love with history and the mechanics and design of the gun. Now it is all I want. I am hooked on this type of gun. Now I won't go sell my others because they certantly have their place and I still enjoy them.
I see the 1911 as the "graduation" gun, the gun you move up to, the gun that you get when you are, "ready." The 1911 is a shooter's gun and I feel one should have experience and time with other firearms before owning one. The 1911 is the acme of guns now in my mind.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,299 Posts
full-auto said:
You must be a jinx on Glocks or something. I've been shooting Glocks and been around literally hundreds of Glock shooters (I ran a range for a couple of years) and I have rarely seen a Glock malfunction. My Glocks certainly can go 100 rounds, 1000 rounds or even 10000 rounds without a malfunction. I have one Glock that I've had for many years that's well over 10,000 rounds and it's only jammed once that I can remember.

So, I call BS. :D
Your right, and I take no offense. It's no coincidence that I'm on the 1911 forum, and own no Glocks. I shoot almost every weekend, in IDPA and USPSA competition, and it is a rare day that I see a Glock get through a 100-200 round match without a feed failure (could be lame reloads, but that should affect everyone, regardless of gun type or brand). Chuck Taylor claimed he put 275,000 malf-free rounds through a Glock 17, so my weekly, peanut gallery comment is, "Two hundred, seventy-five thousand . . . and one." I just happen to be around when they hit the limit.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts