1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am recently switching all of my regular .45ACP to nickel 45ACP. When im depriming the centers of some of the primers are the only thing that comes out. The outside of the primer remains in the brass. I have never had this problom before. Could it be that the Nickel brass has just setup so long. Its not every peice of brass just enough to be annoying. Is there any cure for this other than to just chunk the brass that doesnt deprime completly? This brass is once fired from a police range Factory Winchester..

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I can't help. I use nickel plate all the time because it makes it easier to find my brass on the floor of the indoor range I go to. I have NEVER seen what you described happen. It sounds like some kind of die problem.:confused:

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't help. I use nickel plate all the time because it makes it easier to find my brass on the floor of the indoor range I go to. I have NEVER seen what you described happen. It sounds like some kind of die problem.:confused:
Well I thought the same thing at first,but the dies are fine. As far as I can tell with the naked eye. I think I will call RCBS and see if it may be something out of whack that I cant see..

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
It's not your equipment. If your depriming pin punches the center out of a primer, the pin is certainly stout enough and doing its job.

Are the pimers crimped?

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They dont look like it to me trigger creep. Like I said there once fired from a police range. It was factory ammo the same stuff the PD qualifys with and carrys.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
That's a new one on me too. There must be something else going on. Is your decapping pin chipped. If it is somehow damaged it may be piercing the cup, around the anvil. I'd like to see a picture of the decapping pin, a decapped primer, and the primer pocket of the case.

I've found that nickeled brass is more brittle than plain brass. It will be the first one to split.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
A picture would be helpful here.
Could the de-capping pin be to sharp and instead of pushing the primer out it just pierces the primer?

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Here is a few pictures. I myself have never saw this ither.. My die is fine as you can see. I am just discarding the now worthless brass. As I have loaded a few hundred rounds it has gotten better. I get one like this only about ever 75 to 90 rounds.. I figured I will just save the bad brass for dummy rounds.
I doubt it would be worth trying to get the remaining primer out..

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Good pictures, they show what I wanted to see. That is mighty strange. I sure can't explain it. Maybe they used a bad lot of primers when the rounds were loaded at the factory.

What will you do with the rest of your empty cases that you haven't deprimed yet, use them or toss them?

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good pictures, they show what I wanted to see. That is mighty strange. I sure can't explain it. Maybe they used a bad lot of primers when the rounds were loaded at the factory.

What will you do with the rest of your empty cases that you haven't deprimed yet, use them or toss them?
Im kinda stingy so I may try to get it out with a drill bit or something. If I cant I will use them for making dummy rounds. Like I said its not a lot.

·
Registered
14,937 Posts
Nickel brass doesn't last as long as brass brass, anywho.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For the price I got it for I dont care. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
HG, Thanx for the pictures, it helps clarify things.
I’m with Primers, I don’t think your de-capping pin is to sharp or the problem.
The die looks fine.
But I did notice in the photos the “extreme” uniformity of the break line in the primer cup head separation.
I don’t know, faulty primer manufacture?
From the photo it looks like a manufacturing defect. The line is to perfect to be pressure related to me.
Usually when I’ve ever blow **** up it never looks that uniform when I examine the results.

Have you fired these primers in other cartridges or loadings and had similar results?

·
Registered
518 Posts
primer sealant?

I was wondering if it wasn't caused by primer sealant. I can't really see any in the pictures. I would think that the decapping pin would be able to break it all.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
To answer both of your questions no this brass came from a Police range. So the brass was new from Winchester. I have not fired any of it, I am in the process of reloading it. I guess you can say I stockpiled it. I bought several thousand rounds of .45,38,357,40,44 so far only the .45ACP has done this.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Corrosion?

Couldn't it be simply corrosion? I've had some old military brass do the same thing. First thing that (I) would try is to soak them in some hot soapy water, rinse, semi dry and try decapping then.

For the ones that have already separated, you might see if a primer pocket reamer will remove the rest of the primer cup.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Orygun the primer pocket reamer will probaly do the trick. I wont worry with that till I have completly relaoded ever peice of brass I have though..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts