1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just love the information you get from this site. Yesterday I was browsing and read a thread on a jiggly grip safety. The replies made it look very easy just detail strip pull the one leaf spring back a little bit and it should snug it up. Low and behold my Raptor had a bit of a loose grip safety compared to my other guns. Well the wife was coming home late and I have never detail stripped before so I pulled up the thread and said lets go for it. This was 5:30pm

MSH pin came out pretty easy. The ambi safety caused a bit of problems, but there are threads on here about that and after some more reading and some pulling got that off with no further problem. When the sear/disconnector and the rest of the insides were out and I stared at them on my table I have to say I was a bit worried. Followed instructions and slowly got everything back together. The MSH pin was a bit of a pain to get back in, then I got the right punch and it worked like a dream. At 8pm. Yes 8 pm I got it back together completely. The grip safety looseness, the whole reason I did this had tightened up as well. Did a function check and was happy.

Then I compared the raptor to my other guns and noticed I installed the sear pin the wrong way, the bulge was on the wrong side. So 8:30 I have to take it apart again, I am anal like that. The wife who has long since been home just shakes her head. This 2nd time went like a dream. Quick and easy.

Got it put back together again and performed another function check. No premature hammer falls, safetys all worked, no hammer follow.

Here is my question: Is there any way I could have done something wrong at this point? All the function checks worked nothing goofy happened at any time. The pencil test was a ok. This is my almost full time carry gun, last time out of course it went boom. Could I have done something that would make it go boom boom boom or no boom at all? Not to say I am worried but with all the threads on people playing with the insides messing up function has me a bit leery.

I do plan on going out Thurs during lunch and throwing a box through it, but until then as anal as I am I just want to make sure.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Be sure unloaded....Dop a pencil, eraser first, into the barrel...Cock and pull trigger...If pencil launches you're good to go...It will go boom...

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
You should go one step further. As said above, with gun UNLOADED, put a pencil in the barel and pull the trigger, the pencil should launch and the gun would have gone "boom". Keep the trigger pulled all the way back, cycle the slide (magazine out, of course). The hammer should stay cocked. Release the trigger, you should hear/feel the sear "click", pull the trigger and it should launch the pencil again. This will tell you the disconector is working so the gun will not go "boom,boom" with one pull!:eek: Good luck.
)

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
glocker:

The nature of the Swartz safety is such that you should pencil-test the gun every time you look at it....

(Just IMHO.)

Otherwise there's not much going on in the frame that's different or unusual etc. Just don't forget to put the Swartz actuator pin (in the frame) back in properly. And don't trash it putting the slide back on....

(I managed to find a way to install the top lever on a Colt Series-80 style drop safety so it wouldn't raise the flag and operate the plunger in the slide.)

Regards,

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies.. Everything looks good. I might be a glutton for punishment, but I am going to do another detail strip tonight, this time on my classic custom 1.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Detail stripping a 1911 is great way to learn the functions and to clean your 1911.

Here is some great info for safety checking a 1911 after you have it all together. I do this and the "pencil" check every time...

http://www.cylinder-slide.com/1911safetyck.htm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts