1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm attempting my first detail strip after owning the pistol (Para Ordnance P13.5LTD) for well over a decade. Everything has been going pretty well more or less (there's a couple proprietary parts to this Para over the general 1911).

But once I removed the safety I accidentally bumped the trigger and landed the hammer on-frame. :bawling:

Now my father had always told me that if this were to happen the sky would darken and the four horsemen would arrive to usher in John Browning's wrath, but for some reason that didn't happen this time. The hammer and frame didn't even take on any marking or visible wear. :confused:

Did I really damage the frame/hammer that badly or am I ok for this one slip up?

·
Premium Member
15,718 Posts
You're fine. Just don't make a habit of it. The frame is thin there and easily peened which will raise an edge (easily removed). I suppose it's possible to crack that part of the frame if you do it enough.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
So its your fault the Four Horseman of the Apocalypse just roared past my house spreading devastation........

J/K :D

Like 1saxman said, "don't make a habit of it"

·
Administrator
73,995 Posts
I've done it by mistake several times, even on alloy frames, with no apparent ill effects. Like the others said, just don't make a habit of doing it.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Did it once and was afraid to open my eyes. Turned out everything was well and did not self destruct. It taught me to be more careful.

·
Administrator
73,995 Posts
You can be sure that generations of recruits and draftees have done it as well when they disassembled their 1911s. It's not a good idea to do it all the time, but they're not that fragile either.

·
Premium Member
20,422 Posts
First total cleaning in over ten years??? I'd worry more about that.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
I heard in 2005 a Cajun down Louisiana way let the hammer drop on a 1911 frame.... then came Katrina and the storm troopers :mummy:

·
Registered
487 Posts
Considering the gun was made to be a combat pistol it should take this sort of abuse a little bit. Like others said, do not do it as a matter of habit. I always slowly lower the hammer after removing the safety, no reason to leave the gun cocked. It actually aids in the removal/replacement of the mainspring housing if you lower the hammer too.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I thought I was the only one who had ever done that.
Now that I think of it, it was about five years ago--about the last time it rained in this area.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,328 Posts
There are a lot of "it's not good to" stuff associated with the 1911 that you probably could do all the time, but never notice. As noted, any gun that's designed to be used by generations of half-trained teenagers has to be pretty tough.
It's like my (trying to) insist that my wife follow my warm-up procedure when she drives my car, as the engine will last longer. If she doesn't, I might have to rebuild the engine at 199,500 miles rather than 200,000. Drop the hammer on the frame 50 times, and the frame will last only 100 years, rather than 150.

·
Registered
44 Posts
remove slide from frame,carefully lower hammer to uncocked position,drive pin out of mainspring housing,pull mainspring down about a half inch-do not remove,cock hammer and wiggle out safety,remove grip safety,remove sear spring.

·
Registered
9 Posts
YOU DID WHAT???? OMG!!! You're gonna bring the Wrath Of Genghis Khan on yourself and your progeny for generations to come, contract 7 different incurable strains of Cooties not to mention that the crotch area of your underwear will start growing jumping cholla! Other than those minor irritations you probably won't notice any significant damage to your peestola - this time. :)

·
Registered
804 Posts
First total cleaning in over ten years??? I'd worry more about that.
Oh, you're supposed to clean theses things? :rofl: All kidding aside, I have a SIG P228 that is 20 yrs. old and I maybe clean it twice a year. I've never done anything outside a simple clean & lube; the thing looks and shoots as good as new. Of course I only shoot that one at the indoor range. My carry gun gets cleaned every 2-3 weeks regardless of whether it's been to the range or not.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't shoot often and hadn't detail stripped my 1911 mil spec Springfield in at least 10 years, but then again I didn't shoot it much, then. I know, I know, that's abuse, but I've rectified that lately and detail stripped her, bought some new Ed Brown parts and Wolff springs from Brownell's and treated her to a new cerakote finish and reassembled her. Took her to the range and she shot better than ever.

As far as dripping the hammer on the frame...it's kinda like getting a door ding on the new car, it's gonna happen sooner or later. Just take steps not to do it too often.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts