1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, approaching 1000 rds. Should I detail strip and clean soon or should I wait? How long should I wait?

thanks

·
Registered
27,705 Posts
I only CLEAN my pistol every 500-800 rds. I detail strip about twice a year. But some folks like to detail strip every time they take it out of the safe. I have never had my guns not work because they were dirty. I have never had them not work unless it was due to A-Merc brass I inadverdently reloaded. I lube them and wipe them off every time I shoot them. You don't need to detail strip but some folks will tell you they wouldn't trust their life to an uncleaned (detailed) gun. That is like saying you won't take your vehicle on the road unless you just changed the oil and rotated the tires. You trust your life to that vehicle without checking the brakes every time you start it up. Some unnamed gunsmith who used to post here by the initials of Dane Burns said he only cleans his guns every 1000-1500 rounds. He should know. Some folks just can't sleep unless they have cleaned their guns. It is up to you. I would venture to say people cause more problems than they fix by detail stripping their guns. The factories tell you not to do it.

------------------
"What most of these people need is a good slap upside the head. What I don't need is any more lawsuits." John "The Tooz" Matusak

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
It really is an individual thing...If there's any hint of it starting to "sludge" up from too much crap down, deep inside...then maybe it's time...Personally, unless it's actin' weird or I KNOW it's been invaded by deadly chemicals or some such...I wouldn't even bother...1000 is a good time to assess everything though...I NEVER ignore my guns...I just KNOW when they need it...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Originally posted by gyp_c:
...I just KNOW when they need it...

You hear those little voices inside your head too, huh? You're right - about 1000 rds, and they start telling me it's time for a bath.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
...uuuhh did I NEED TO KNOW that? Personally...I'm sure you're quite clean...

Drop the soap and step away from the pistol Shane!!!

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I detail-stripped my Para at 2,000 rounds.

The only area that was seriously dirty was the extractor and the cavity around it. It was filthy.

Based on that experience, I'll detail-strip the slide at 2,000 rounds and the frame at 4,000 rounds.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Originally posted by SBLars:
ok, approaching 1000 rds. Should I detail strip and clean soon or should I wait? How long should I wait?
thanks
Have a 1911 where I didn't detail strip the frame until after about 50k rounds (virtually all lead bullets). Didn't have any problems with it and didn't notice anything unusual when I finally stripped it. Also didn't notice any difference after I did do it.

OTOH, I completely strip the slide after every firing session.

My feeling is that it's much more important to detail strip the slide than the frame.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I agree that the slide detail strip is more important than the frame. It really depends on what powder you're shooting, what you use for lubricants, and the climate you're in.

The firing pin hole, the extractor and extractor hole, and the breech face seem to collect the most carbon.

The feed ramp on the frame and the mag well are the dirtiest parts of the frame. Even after several thousand rounds I've really never noticed dirt build up in a 1911 frame around the moving parts unless it has been over lubricated.

I always detail strip a newly acquired 1911, even thise NIB. You'd be surprized at metal filings and other debris that you'll find.

I'd say detail strip after 1000 rounds if it makes you feel better.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I always detail strip a newly acquired 1911, even those NIB. You'd be surprized at metal filings and other debris that you'll find.

Me too. I have to know what kind of workmanship was done. I also make mental notes of what kind of materials were used so I know what to watch for in the future. You mentioned flakes and debris, I think about the only junk I didn't find inside my Custom CDP was a half-smoked cigarette. There was trash everywhere in there!

Think of a detail strip on a NIB gun as the final inspection the weapon SHOULD have received when it left the factory. Not very many years ago, this was standard practice and the inspector's initials were stamped on the piece. In order to get that kind of built-in quality from the factory nowadays, one must buy from Smith & Wesson's Perfomance Center or Colt's Custom Shop. It is a shame that quality is now hit and miss on standard factory models from nearly all makers.

Gun nuts are a rather picky crowd when it comes to quality and workmanship. It is truly a shame that we now have to get Wilsons and Baers in order to match what we used to be able to get from Colt..... Quality on EVERY SINGLE gun released. Quality you can COUNT on. Not a hit and miss like we get today.

[This message has been edited by Inspector Harry Callahan (edited 08-16-2001).]

·
Registered
61 Posts
the .45 I carry every day gets cleaned whenever I notice it is getting too dirty. It may be after a match, or after 2 months of lint buildup and no rounds fired. There is no such thing as a gun that is too clean. However I have seen some filthy 1911's that didn't slow down. It is a personal thing. I've never gone for more than 500rnds without a full cleaning.
Daniel

------------------
1 peter 5:8

1 - 11 of 11 Posts