1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, over Thanksgiving break I am planning on disassembling my Springfield Armory 1911-A1 Mil-Spec 100%. Down to the bare nuts and bolts. I need a walkthrough of how to do such a proceedure. I am pretty sude I could figure it out relatively easily and put it back together with everything working, but having instructions usually helps. Plus, a while back someone posted a topic about the thin web between the disconnector tunnel and mag well had broken through (http://www.1911forum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=62879), if this has occured on my pistol would it be advisable/wise to dremel that "web" into a nice smooth cresent? I could do it pretty easily and would only remove metal to the appex of the crack (if it exist). Anything else I should look for? Is taking it apart going to ruin my trigger job? Also, how hard is it to put the ambi safety back in? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I think you will find that taking it all the way down is not that hard. Once you do it the first time you will see.

Stacey

·
Registered
207 Posts
Disassembly

really isn't that hard. I used the m1911.org site to help me. I was concerned at first, but I was able to get it. I disassembled just yesterday to put in a trigger, ambi safe, and MSH. It gets easier the second and subsequent times.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Go to the Wilson Combat web site and order their manual for assembly/disassembly. It costs about $10 and has pictures of every single step. You will need it at some time and it will save your life.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Unless you physically damage the sear or hammer engagement surfaces, you won't ruin your trigger job.

Also, take care not to bend the sear spring when you do the strip. Altering the spring can change the trigger pull.

Agree with everyone else here; once you do it, it'll seem like second nature...:)

·
Registered
513 Posts
Absolutely. Nothing easier than taking a 1911 completely apart.

Now, putting it back together is another story...

Seriously, the only problem I ever have is getting the sear and disconnector all lined up with the holes for the sear pin. God great advice from a local gunsmith, though. He said to do it about 10,000 times and it will be easy. Worked for him.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Sear pin

A friend of mine showed me how to do it easy.

Easy way to line it up is to set the sear and disconnector in place together with the bottom of the disconnector paddle
even with the bottom of the trigger bow. Turn the pistol on its side and look through the hole with a sheet of white paper on the
table. Pull the trigger just a little bit while you slip the pin through
the hole. After practicing it a few times it usually falls right in.
If you can get a small nail to use for a line up pin, that makes it
even easier. Once they line up take the nail out and put the pin
in.

C-Buff

·
Registered
111 Posts
Wilsons Combat also has a good video of the disassembly/reassembly. Complete and easy to follow. Also www.thegunsmith.com (602-992-0050) has videos (disasssembly/reassembly, trigger job, reliability job) which he shot at his shop which are the very best I've seen and I like even better. I find the videos from AGI to be less than complete and not very helpful.
Stay safe out there,
Ken

1 - 10 of 10 Posts