1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am dying to get a stone after the hammer and sear of my new Kimber II with a polishing stone but I am also a little pensive about the detail strip. I have detail stripped more traditional 1911s dozens and dozens of times but I am unclear about the new grip safety. Is it all one unit or are there numerous tiny, dinky maddening parts to jump out and get lost and the first chance to escape? Anyone have a source for a manual for the II which includes the detail strip?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
FYI

I got off my own lazy arse and called Kimber. After some himming and hawing about liability, the guy finally said that there is really nothing to taking down the frame, only one extra part. However, he really did not recommend taking down the slide any further than a typical break down. As the frame was all I was interested in that was good enough for me. Broke the gun down and stripped the frame to its pins. There was in fact only one extra part included in the frame that went on the ejection port side of the pistol next to the sear held in by the sear pin. I stoned the hammer and sear and put the thing back together, no hiccups whatso ever and now have a much crisper trigger as a result.

Good shooting all.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Did it myself recently. No problem. There is a plunger that comes up through the frame next to the disconnector. One part. As you take it apart look at how it is installed before removing the sear pin. Put it back in the same place. No biggie.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
One of the things I noticed about my Custom II is the fact that the firing pin is proprietary. What other parts, other that the plunger, spring, and the arm in the frame are different? The point of my question is knowing which parts I can replace with Wilsons or Ed Browns if I decide to customize down the line. For example, will just about any grip safety work with the firing pin block?

Thanks..........

1 - 4 of 4 Posts