1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out at the store today, picking up some necessities, when I noticed a new consignment piece, a "Detonics Combat Master Mark V". It's in really good shape, I guess (I didn't get it apart). I'm thinking about picking it up. Is $700 a good price for this piece? It's stainless, I think.

And, if I did pick it up, would it be okay to carry? I mean, I don't even want it if it's just for looking at, not for shooting. If it's a potential goldmine, I'll pass it along to someone more interested in putting it in the safe. I don't want to wring it out; but, I would want to carry it every day, maybe add an ambi safety.

It looks like a fun little toy; but, is it worth it?

------------------
"So don't forget-with enough determination you can win even when you appear to be losing-just keep shooting!"
-Bill Jordan, from No Second Place Winner

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I really liked mine...and so did evryone that got a chance to play with it...My best shootin' buddy finally wore me down and I sold it for 450...that was 3 years ago and I kick myself every time I see one of these posts...They have some unique qualities and if it turns out to be a "shooter" then it's worth every dime...700 is pushin' it, but if it's a "shooter"?
If I was flush and saw a nice one, I'd grab it in a heartbeat...They ARE the original compact...If it's one of the first 10,000 it's even built on a Colt frame...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

MWLWN LABE!

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,390 Posts
I carry mine, and it is a great gun. Based on my experience, and those of some others with whom I've corresponded, expect to do a little "sorting" if the gun is new, or the previous owner didn't. Before my gun would run with an acceptable level of reliability (one minor bobble in 800 rounds), I had to replace the recoil springs and mag springs, adjust the extractor and dimple the slide stop. Unless the gun is new, with the pouch, manual, etc., I'd say the price is on the high side. The Mk. V is the most common of Combat Masters, and I think $550-$650 is more like it for a used gun. There's a used MK. VI, one of the more rare and desireable models, at a gunshop down the street, with night sights, for $550.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts