1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like a 2011 with a Commander slide that someone decided to revise the frame on by deleting the grip safety.

Takes 2011 mags...

Does this thing share most of its parts with 2011s/1911s, or is it more different than that?

It seems

-weird
-rare

Both things make it something I might want.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Holy crap? No one?

Honestly I was "detonics still is in business?"

Well, then. I'm going on a road trip to the Denver gun stores to see if I can find one to handle...

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Is it because the MTX was built in 2010 and is still available today in MTX-h.???

I honestly don't know what would be rare or weird???

Looks like you're the guy that needs to purchase one and give us a range report. I have an old Seattle Combat Master and would like to hear how Detonics is quality wise now a days.

$1500 is a bit steep for me for an unknown and I'm not real fond of double stack.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like you're the guy that needs to purchase one and give us a range report. I have an old Seattle Combat Master and would like to hear how Detonics is quality wise now a days.

$1500 is a bit steep for me for an unknown and I'm not real fond of double stack.
I just handled one.

I'm having very similar thoughts. The gun would be a good deal for 900 bucks...:|

·
Registered
47 Posts
Detonics

I have always been a big Detonics fan. When Siddle bought out and restarted Detonics, I ordered the generation Combat Master. That was about 4 years ago.

Got a call about 6 months ago saying it was ready.

Never mind. I'll pass

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I just handled one.

I'm having very similar thoughts. The gun would be a good deal for 900 bucks...:|
While I agree that $1500 for a handgun is steep, I don't think that its reasonable to think that the MTX could be had for $900 given the amount of machining that was put into this gun. Would it be a better value at $1250, yes it would. But its not unreasonable at $1500 given that these are nearly custom pistols with super tight tolerances and a great finish.

Not sure if you got to shoot the one you handled, but I've had mine at several group shoots with my gun group and everyone who has shot the gun swears its the softest shooting/easiest handling 1911 they've ever laid their hands on.

Just to correct the OP, its the shorter CombatMaster length slide, not a Commander length slide.

I'm not a fan of the extended magazine release, it may be great for competitors, but I'm more of a concealed carry guy, so that extended release is more of a pain in the side (literally) than I'd like for a carry gun. I'm still hoping to see a 5" government size slide mated to the lower frame, that would probably be the best 1911 ever.

While many are afraid of double-stack 1911 pistols because of wide grips, the thin aluminum, with integral grip surface, is actually something that is comfortable for most shooters. Again, there have been many dozens of people who have shot my gun from teenage girls to big burly men to petite women and all have loved the grip. It looks bulkier in the photos than it feels to the hand thanks to the superbly ergonomic design.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Just to correct the OP, its the shorter CombatMaster length slide, not a Commander length slide.
Are you sure? The MTX is listed as having a 4.25" barrel.

I didn't look at the MTX-H, rather the one with the barrel bushing. It looked like a double stack commander.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Just to be clear, this is the gun I handled. It had an OD green slide.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,150 Posts
Full credit goes to Melensdad as this is his picture.

I believe Melensdad was assuming that you had run into one with the same slide length as the one in his report. If you look it does indeed have the much abbreviated slide running onl the length of the dust cover.

As for cost? It's a bit of a specialty/oddball gun and ergo it can command a slightly higher price point. Sort of like Kriss groups attempt to bring back Sphinx's high end CZ-Clone (likely very refined but still a clone) and asking near the same dollar amount for what in my mind is a highly tuned iteration of a P-01 (to be fair I assume there is more to the SDP than this) They retail for less than the MSRP but it does remind you that these guns are made in more limited quantities and that it certainly costs a smaller operation more per gun than a manufacturing behemoth such as Ruger or Kimber.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Ahh, looks like they are now producing a longer slide version. My error.

·
Premium Member
9,150 Posts
Ahh, looks like they are now producing a longer slide version. My error.
How is magazine availability? I might be interested in one if I can acquire multiple magazines and I already have a friend that does some custom Kydex that could do me up a nice appendix rig. Maybe a treat from me and for me if I get a 3.9 or better GPA this semester. It would cut into my funds for my planned summer in Europe but I could always pick up a part time job on the weekends.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
They use 2011 magazines that are available from Detonics and other sources.

·
Premium Member
9,150 Posts
They use 2011 magazines that are available from Detonics and other sources.
Ah, this is excellent news. I was considering an STI VIP but as the MTX is cheaper and a bit more intriguing. I am now very inclined to go with Detonics...I already inquired about an weekend job today at a local liquor store where I can also study when I'm not restocking or dealing with customers. A few months of putting away all of my checks from that job and I should have the funding.

STI 120mm magazines for carry and perhaps 126mm for domestic purposes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts