1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wasn't sure if this would be better here or in General...

Anyways, I had a coupon and I just got my CCW permit, so I figured I'd try the Galco Stow-n-Go for my S&W 642. When I checked out, the guy asked me to verify my age.

:scratch: :confused: :scratch:

Discuss. Personally, I'm annoyed and will continue to try to avoid Dick's and Field & Steam stores.

·
Premium Member
2,008 Posts
i gave up on dicks years ago when they began pulling reloading equipment. coupon or not, i would have walked out after speaking with a supervisor.

·
Banned
3,845 Posts
LOL---could care less what Dicks does!! To put it "mildly" would rather have a "Herbal Colon Cleanse and Tonic" than step one foot in that horrid place!!

·
Registered
586 Posts
People are just dumb sometimes. It's really no different in any other store buying any other product. Employees don't know the product, policies, or laws. A perfect example: I smoke. I'm a deputy sheriff. I went into the convenient store down from my house the other day in FULL UNIFORM to buy a pack of Marlboro's. The clerk carded me. :scratch:

·
Premium Member
20,345 Posts
Dick's have that name for a reason.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Dick's have that name for a reason.
I live in CA. I've been into a bunch of Dick's and I have never seen anything related to firearms or hunting... I guess we got the short one...

·
Premium Member
20,345 Posts
CA is explanation enough. You would probably kill to get an AZ Dicks, although we hate them.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I think it's clearly time to say to them DON'T BE A DICK!!!

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As a sidenote, the Stow-n-Go isn't overly comfortable, most likely because it's bigger than it needs to be for a 642 (it's designed to be used with a number of small/medium sized revolvers, including a 2.5" Bulldog). I'll be returning it later today.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I can guarantee it has nothing to do with the cashiers intelligence.
I'm sure you are all aware that computer cash register systems give a boat load of information to the merchant. During programming, I'm sure every item they sell goes into a classification. Holster would obviously be earmarked under guns. Without having a sub category I'm sure a flag pops up to alert the cashier to check ID...that's just their job and they must do it for fear of loosing said job.
It's an upper management and legal advisor problem!!!
I'm speculating if you bought a bore brush, gun oil, gun case or any other gun related items the same would happen.
Programmers are not always gun guys. Who knows, maybe the softwear can't differentiate.
I'm pretty thick skinned about this kind of stuff.
That said... I'll never shop at Dicks, but that's another story.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
You know, I live a half hour or so from the original store, and the sad thing is that as a kid, when there was just the one store, Dick's was a hunting/shooting/guns/Army/Navy sort of store (remember army/navy stores? Surplus military stuff etc) and you headed there every year before hunting season for the awesome deals on guns and ammo. Oh, they also had some fishing stuff eventually. But then they started expanding and opening new stores, and nowadays if you go to say the Albany store they have the gun section hidden in a separate area in the back and if you carry ammo up front to buy the clerks give you disgusted looks. If you go to the old store in the crappy area they are still nice and good people there, but most of the stores are golf/clothing stores afraid to admit where they came from. Just sad.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I don't know how they stay in business. Our local store has been a ghost town the few times I've been in there, prices are typically high, and selection poor. I bought a few boxes of ammo during the great ammo shortage out of desperation but nothing since then. I have no incentive to return.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Went to a Dick's (new local store) once, unimpressed! Won't return! Their decision to ban AR sales after Sandy Hook didn't help my ill mood as I entered but the hodge-podge of items inside sealed the deal for me.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I go to Dicks to look around at stuff I might want to buy, then I find it elsewhere. The white collar decisions have snubbed their core customers only to be blessed by their fellow libtards. The store in my area is mostly empty of customers and a very small work force whenever I step in; I've been expecting a store closing sell for a while. I suspect a backdoor payoff has kept their doors open.

·
Premium Member
20,345 Posts
Then why even go in? They do a customer count every day. Even if you go in and know you are not going to buy anything you are encouraging them to stay open. Totally ignore them and price shop at another store and online.

·
Registered
7,746 Posts
I think it's clearly time to say to them DON'T BE A DICK!!!

No, it's clearly time to say "Don't Be A Dick Supporter!"

·
Premium Member
20,345 Posts
They won't last much longer. That's a shame because competition means better prices for the consumer. But I guess they never competed in the first place.

·
Registered
301 Posts
The Dicks here do booming business, selling sporting goods and active wear.
Hell I just bought a few ammo cabinets from them.
I don't care if they don't sell AR's or flamethrowers or ballistic intercontinental missiles. They have the right to choose what they sell as we have the right to choose what we buy.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts