1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I came across a '70 series barrel and it has the distinctive yellowish hue/tint of nickel. I know Colt produced nickel plated '70 series 1911s but I can't tell for certain if the barrel is nickel also. Anyone know about this?

·
Registered
236 Posts
The nickel plated series 70 my wife has (before she had me) and the Colt 22 conversion unit in nickel both have steel barrels without nickel coating. Not sure nickel would hold up in that application.

·
Registered
23,227 Posts
I am not aware they ever did. I have seen a few presentation guns in pretty wood boxes that were nickel, but do not remember a nickel barrel.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Though not regular production, my elctroless nickel Colt Government, purchased new, did have a have a nickeled barrel. I replaced it with a Bar-Sto. So even though I don't have the gun anymore, I still have the old electroless nickeled barrel.

·
Administrator
74,033 Posts
The barrel in a satin nickel-plated pre-80 Combat Commander I once owned was also nickeled, so it's probable that they did the same with the Government Models, at least for a time. I held onto the barrel for several years after I upgraded it to a Bar-Sto in the Commander.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts