1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first .45 auto, a Colt 1991A1.
It's three months, (bought New in the Box) and 600 rounds old.

Today I detail stripped it for the first time, and guess what? The sear is cracked! It's cracked down near the feet of the disconnector.

O.K. here's the story. When I first got the gun , I was cleaning it and ignorantly/accidentally dropped the hammer on the frame w/ the slide off (this happen 4 times, and only 4 times!)

So, did I crack the sear? I'm a little flustered over this. I really don't think that the 4 hammer drops should have done this (though I know it was not good). I just feel the parts should be tougher than this!

In addition, I have been having lots of failures to go fully into battery. I doubt that the two are connected, but thought I would mention it just in case.

So, should I continue to use the gun? It is a series 80. Or, should I put it up until I can get it fixed?

Is the sear a drop in part? Or, does it need to be fitted?
Right now, I just want a functional gun. It doesn't have to be a target piece.

Your help is appreciated,
Elsworth

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Well if you're sure it was new, then you need to send it back for repair. I wouldn't shoot it. I wouldn't mention the maintenance incidents. Didn't cause it, unless it was just defective anyway. Just a crappy part...Bummer...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Agree. If it's new, then it is still under warranty. You shouldn't have to tell them why the sear cracked, or why it doesn't go into battery. Just send it back, and tell them what's wrong.

I wouldn't try to shoot it any more until you get it fixed.

To answer your question directly, I doubt that your 4 accidents caused the sear to crack. As gyp_c says, it's likely a bad part. It does happen, even with the best products. That's why they include warranties.

The sear is (usually) a drop-in part, but in this case, don't bother. Let Colt do it.

·
Registered
555 Posts
In all likelihood dropping the hammer when the slide was off didn't cause the sear to crack (it that were the case I'd have gone through dozens of sears by now). It was probably just a weak part that needed to be replaced. Don't shoot it until you get the sear replaced--should be under warranty. I don't think the failure to go into battery is related. Once you replace the sear you can try to figure out the other problem and become a full-fledged member of the "why won't it go into battery club? (extractor? ammo? mags? feed ramp?)

·
Registered
711 Posts
Just a thought here, but this could be an opportunity to put in a Nowlin or Cylinder & Slide trigger kit. Unless you are satisfied with the existing trigger pull, then yes, send it back.

------------------
Bullseye Rules!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help guys. I plan to call Colt today.

For some reason, I was mentally prepared for a certain amount of "hassle" out of the 1911. I guess, I had heard so many stories over the years about how much they jammed, and how hard it was to get them "right".
I'm still planning to stick it out.

As far as the failure to go into battery goes, I am suspecting a too tight extractor, though the feed ramp is a little dinged up too. We'll see.

Fiddling with this gun is sort of fun and challenging. I think I like it.

Thanks again,
Elsworth

·
Registered
364 Posts
*OUCH* Dropping the hammer on the frame is VERY bad. The frame will deform, and possibly crack. Hopefully you have survived it, but....ONE drop is all it could take. If you got away with 4...count your self very lucky.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Just notate all the problems you can think of and anything you're not happy with and follow the directions they give you after you contact them...You can still mention the problems or criticize the poor adjustments...Maybe they'll fix it all...These days there are too many people trying to get that 1911 dollar...Besides...nothing ventured nothing gained...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts