1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hola.

As you know, I own a blued 1991A1. Recently, I asked on the maintenance board if I was over-lubing my pistola, as it all sorts of oil (Break-Free CLP) would run out of it while it was sitting still. Shooting produced even more oil coming out of the pistol. So, I was indeed getting excessive with the oil.

So, after Thursday's range visit, I stripped it down good, including removing the grips. Beyond that and a good field-strip, I don't know what to do and haven't much confidence in ability to detail-strip.

So, having thus stripped it, I hosed down everything (avoiding the thumb safety and MSH as best I could,) with Birchwood-Casey Gun Scrubber. I wanted to remove all of the oily build-up and start over. Also, I handwashed the rubber grips in warm water and hand soap and then set them out to dry. I left the pistol out overnight on wax paper, disassembled.

* Once it was dry, I noticed that on the slide, where it's stamped, "COLT 1991A1," the bluing looked like it was gone down in the grooves for the letters and numbers. It looked like a bare metal or maybe a salt color, for lack of a better description.

But, on the opposite side where it says, "Series 80," the bluing looked fine. No difference from before.

What happened?

I thought it would be o.k. to go over the outside of the slide with Gun Scrubber, which says it won't hurt finishes. Indeed, the overall finish looks fine. It's just the stamped letters which look bare, down in the grooves of the stamping, that is.

Did I do this by accident? Was using the B-C Gun Scrubber to remove all of the excess oil and powder *outside* a dumb idea?

Or, did the "COLT 1991A1" letters and numbers come this way from the factory, and I never noticed it before I used the Gun Scrubber?

Hoping you can illuscidate (and that I didn't do another STUPID thing to my .45 cal treasure
). Thank you!

Doc

[This message has been edited by Dr. Johnny Fever (edited 08-19-2001).]

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
I don't think Gun Scrubber did anything to the bluing. You are probably right - you just never noticed it before, or the rollmarks were full of crud, and the Scrubber removed it, showing what was underneath.

If it really does look like bare metal, cold bluing works great for touching up rollmarks. Cold blue in general is not very durable, but because it will be in the rollmark (where it will not get worn away), it should make the slide appear brand new again.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Also make sure that it's not a trick of the light. Gunscrubber leaves everything bone dry, which sometimes gives it a slight filmy texture, so you can try a little oil there, see if it's just the coloring.
Also, make sure it's not debri of any kind in there, just to make sure.
Otherwise, it's certainly possible that the finish didn't take in that area, cold blueing being your nearest option.

·
Administrator
74,628 Posts
Gun Scrubber and similar products will often leave a light-colored residue in nooks and crannys. Simply work some lube in those areas and the residue will disappear.

By the way, Gun Scrubber won't hurt the plastic parts on your M1991A1 at all.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your time and your replies, men. I really appreciate it!

Before I reassembled my pistola, I put a few drops of oil (CLP) on a patch and went over the surface of everything. Then, I reassembled.

After reassembly, I used a clean cotton rag to wipe off any excess oil.

Looking at the rollmarks, they look as blued as everything else, just as they did before.

So, was it the Gun Scrubber residue creating the color, then, like Firearms, Plus Inc. said?

Just wondering...

Thanks for all of your help. I'm still learning and don't know what I'd do without you guys!

------------------
I wonder why we waste our lives here,
when we could run away to paradise.

But I am caught in some invisible vice
and I can't get away.

To live and die in L.A.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Yeah, like I said, I've seen that on plenty of guns before (stainless, aluminum, whatever).
Glad everythings alright with the gun :)

·
Registered
843 Posts
Yep, I'm sure that's all it was. No harm, no foul. Your doin' fine Dr. Johnny!-TR

Originally posted by Dr. Johnny Fever:
So, was it the Gun Scrubber residue creating the color, then, like Firearms, Plus Inc. said?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again, guys!

------------------
I wonder why we waste our lives here,
when we could run away to paradise.

But I am caught in some invisible vice
and I can't get away.

To live and die in L.A.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts