1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just agreed to buy a Colt Gold Cup National Match Gold Cup 1971 NRA 100th anniversary Comommorative edition (engraved) with the presentation Box.

It has the most beautiful deep bluing I have ever seen.

It's been fired, but the gun is 95%, at least.

I'm paying $900. USPSA buddy is the seller.

·
Banned
1,324 Posts
A COMMEMERATIVE GUN IS USUALLY ONLY WORTH THE SAME AS A NON COMMEMERATIVE IN THE SAME CONDITION ONCE IT HAS BEEN FIRED.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
ALBY,

I think that you did fine. It is all subjective. If you got what you want for a price that you were willing to pay, then be happy. Where I live in East Tennessee, Colts are out the roof. I never see any good deals such as you hear of around here. Gun Show prices and shops around here have Gold Cups from $800 in o.k. condition to way over $1000. I personally think that the price you paid was fair for what you got. If you keep the gun ten years, you will be able to sell it for a profit if things go on the way they have in years past. Be happy, shoot the heck out of it, and take really good care of it. It is an investment.

Chuck

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply's everyone.

I live in Md and it is nearly impossible to find a good selection of auto mloaders since our state legislature imposed the internal gun lock requirement. So, I'm lucky my friend even mentioned he had this gun for sale. There are tons of SA 1911's for sale, but Colt's are hard to find here !

Im so psyched to have a Colt and especially this one. The comemorative stuff is not that important to me, but the gold cup national match goodies make this an attractive gun to me. It's kind of like buying a Harley. This gun represents the height of 1911 technology circa 1971. It's a little piece of history, and i'm glad to have it.

The gun also has the most beautiful finish I have ever seen. All my other blued guns are really field guns, so the blueing is not deeply polished. This gun is truly a sight to behold.

It will be shot frequently and it will be handed down to one of my boys in about 40 years. The other one will be jealous because he'll be getting my Kimber, and that gun is taking a beating in USPSA competition. (I love that gun too, but it's not a colt...)

Anyway, now i feel as if I may post in this forum as a COLT owner.

·
Banned
5,951 Posts
ALBY......

You've found a nice example of Colt's history. Also, savor the fact that you were able to even find the piece. Colt doesn't make 32 year old Custom Shop firearms anymore.

Regards,
Sam

·
Registered
246 Posts
In Maryland? You did great!

Alby: Speaking as another Marylander, I go looking for older Colts simply because it's easier, more 'legal', and don't suffer the dealer-gouging that goes on. Would love to have one of the new Colts, but I can't. Turned out to be that old blessing in disguise - I'm collecting older Colts and loving it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts