1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped by my favorite gun store today just to say hello and wish them a Happy New Year and to look around......well there in the display case was a Colt 1911A1, Gold Cup, National Match, 70 Series in as new condition, I examined the pistol and could not find a blemish/scratch or wear on it.......I don't think there has been more than a dozen rounds put thru it......beautiful pistol.
Price $1000........I bought it on the spot. So what do you guys think.......did I get burned on the price????

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
You paid on the high end....but I don't think you got burned especially if the pistol is as nice as you've stated and you like it.

Regards,
Sam

·
Registered
906 Posts
I am sure if you keep looking far and wide you might find one
cheeper but it might not be as nice. You bought a gun In your favorite store, an easy find with out running around and taking
up alot of your time. The gun sounds great. Congratulations.
Its yours now just shoot and enjoy.:)

·
Registered
72 Posts
did u buy under pressure????

it sounds to me that you bought a gun under pressure and now has doubt about it. it is not a good way to start a relationship, my good friend.

you owe that colt an apology. i suggest you go field strip it complete to clean, lube, and grease it with the best product you can find. then you need to feed it about 500 rounds of remington round and repeat the first first.

·
Registered
865 Posts
You didn't say if it came with the box or not. If it had the box I think you did OK. If not, I think you MAY have been able to find one a little cheaper if you looked long and hard. I don't think that you got "burned" however.

As someone else once said; "you didn't pay too much, you just bought it too soon.":biglaugh:

Enjoy your Gold Cup and don't feel bad at all.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Lets put it this way. How would you feel if you had not bought it
and went back the next day and it was gone? Sometimes you pay
a little more just to have it when you want to.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I live in small town USA. Its a little drive to get to a band aid shop. (hospital) My local man had the same thing about a year ago, it sold in two weeks to local man. I say no to your question. If for no other reason than to say you didnt have to go through waiting, looking, ordering, shipping, guessing exact condition, etc. You put your mit on it and was satsisfied and that is all I use when I make a decision. Happy shooting.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
As far as your "deal" you didn't get a deal that you can brag about, but you have nothing to be upset over either.

As far as your pistol, it sounds as if you got a good one. I'd rather pay the extra up front and be happy with a pistol than try to skimp and then wish I had gotten what I wanted every time I go shoot. The pistol spoke to you, you took it home. Nothing wrong with that. You will always find someone who can say he got a better "deal", but can you find someone as satisfied as yourself?

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
If you are still happy twenty-four hours later, than you did well. Unless you spent your "rent money" on it, then it was a fair price.
I've always thought that the only waiting period that there should be on firearms, is that you should be able to get your money back in three-days if you change your mind.
ML

·
Registered
844 Posts
If it is what you wanted, you had the money and were satisfied with it, you did good. I bought a stainless Delta Elite at one of the two shops that I always frequent. I paid $850 for it and it was pristine. I could have waited and looked for a better deal, but it has been in my safe now for several months and ain't goin anywhere. And Yes, I do shoot it, and reload for it.

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
We're talking about Colts. Normally, having the box and paperwork makes for a more complete collectible package and can have a positive impact on the value of a Colt to collectors.

To put "Taurus" in the same sentence as Colt is like mixing oil with water. It just doesn't work.

Regards,
Sam;)

·
Registered
628 Posts
I wouldn't say you were burned, maybe singe your tail feathers a little. Now if the grin is still on your face does it really matter?

A Taurus on a 1911 forum? A complete Taurus package would be the handgun, the cash registers sales reciept, and the brown paperbag they dropped the handgun in.

·
Registered
197 Posts
To answer that question Thug, Taurus has been around for quite some time. So far, none of their guns have reached "collector" status. On top of that, the guns they produce now are generally considered a step up from the ones that they made 20 years ago.

Going back to the Colt Gold Cup issue, I think you paid a wee bit on the top end. So long as you enjoy what you have and understand how fast those things can move off a dealer's shelf, I wouldn't worry too much. I wish you many fun shooting sessions with it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
DorGunR said:
Price $1000........I bought it on the spot. So what do you guys think.......did I get burned on the price????
Well, I paid $375 for mine...

But, that was in 1978 and from a local super market that sold guns. :D

·
Registered
906 Posts
A Taurus on a 1911 forum? A complete Taurus package would be the handgun, the cash registers sales reciept, and the brown paperbag they dropped the handgun in.

HAY, You got bag with yours. They just pushed mine over the counter and said good luck and laughed.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Gentlemen.......thanks for all the replies. I felt the 1K price was a fair one but I wanted to ask the "Pros".........you guys.
The pistol was on consignment and there was no wiggle room from the dealer whom I know and trust. This is my 5th 1911 and I know I will still be looking for more.
Thanks again for your replies and have a very Happy Ney Year:)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Enough with the Taurus crap.

It ain't Colt simply because it doesn't have the place in history that Colt has. Plus, Taurus' offerings started-out "shaky". But the stuff Taurus is putting-out now is superior to some of the stuff Colt was putting out a while back. To compare a current production Taurus with an average Colt is a lot closer comparison than some of you gun snobs will admit. Go on paying your prices for something with the Colt logo stamped on it. Your call, but my two Taurus M44's will go bang just as regularly as your Colts will. And that is more important to me than a stamped pony pic and "bragging rights" at sale. For me, buying a gun is all about whether or not the gun "speaks" to me. And above a certain level of quality, ALL brands of guns speak to me.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts