1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got some J&B plated 45 cal 210 gr bullets a month or two ago, loaded a bunch and fed them thru my Kimber Custom, my STI Ranger II and even the Sig 220 without issue.
Recently sold the Kimber then a couple weeks later got a SA Range Officer and that thing really has a finicky match chamber. So I picked up a case gauge and it turns out a lot of these rounds will not plop into the gauge, some scratching of the head, adj crimp, adj seating /oal, etc then after I check some of my SD hollow points ( xtp 230 gr ) I notice the label says .451 so I start measuring the J&B and notice they are all either .454 or .455" !

Did I buy .45 colt bullets ?????? :scratch::scratch::scratch:

All of the oversize ( ie, not fit in gauge) rounds still drop into my STI and Sig barrels.

Can these larger projectiles cause a massive failure ?? Should I re-size them, one of my coworked has a sizer he uses for his lead bullets, he said he could size them for me, I could also buy a LEE sizer ?

lastly, can these rounds prove to be less than accurate ? they seem to be all over the place ( or it's me getting used to the Range Officer ). I'll shoot some of my older loaded rounds ( jacketed 230 gr bullets) thru the RO to see how that goes. I mention the in-acuracy issue as I tried some moly'ed bullets in a HK and they got not grip and some would keyhole cardboard at 12 paces, while I'm not getting keyholeing, the accuracy sucks. I'll try the older rounds tomorrow.

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, 45 LC bullets could be anywhere from .451 - .455 but the ones I have seen being sold as an in stock item, without specifying size, seem to be, usually, .452. I cant recall seeing any plated either but I haven't heard of J&B. J&K yes, J&B no. Then again, I don't load 45 LC so I don't know the scope of what's available.

45 ACP plated bullets are usually .451 or .452

Make sure of your caliper measurement, it can be tricky.

Does anyone know if a .455 bullet would actually even chamber in ANY 45 acp aside from maybe the very most generous barrel/chamber?

·
Registered
547 Posts
A .455 bullet seated in thin Remington brass may chamber.
.455 is too fat. Have you called the bullet manufacturer and asked about them?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Whether or not they 'fit' in your chamber depends on how the chamber was reamed. Unfortunately there is some variance in bullet diameter, typically this applies to older firearms but I always recommend slugging (checking the actual bore diameter) so you can best select projectiles. Until you know for certain the risk you have is pushing oversized projectiles down the barrel which equates to overpressure. Another way to determine if this is the problem is looking for signs of excessive pressure in your spent brass. I hope this helps some.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
.454 is a 45LC bullet. You can use the smaller ones in a Colt and maybe, MAYBE the larger lead ones in a 45ACP but probably not. I do have a couple of 45ACP that I can run the larger bullets through but with the gun you are suggesting I'd sell them and get the proper ones.
I have both 45lc and 45acp so can get away with larger ones and use them up.

If you want to sell them let me know, maybe we can make a deal on them.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I looked up th evendor they were J & K bullets, here is the link

http://jkbullets.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8_40&products_id=79

They do not sell any 200 gr 45 long colt bullets
they do sell 1K of 200 gr 45 acp bullets for $ 132.00 that the purchase I made.

I've been using calipers since 1983, these are dail and I check zero each time I pick them up, I do not have a 1" calibrated gauge, but I assume if they zero then they should be ok at 1.45 "

No overpressure signs on the used brass ( no bulging or flattened primers )

Thanks for the replies, I'll run some thru the sig ( light loads )

The PMC brass seems to be most susceptable to not fitting into the gauge after loading, so I'm setting those aside, I assue they have a thicker case wall ??.

Should I contact J&K and ask them *** ??

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
I'd try running a couple thru a LFCD to re-size them down to 45acp minimums......see if they chamber then.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I'd try running a couple thru a LFCD to re-size them down to 45acp minimums......see if they chamber then.

This may lead to poor neck tension and bullet setback. If the bullets function in other .45ACP firearms, I would use them accordingly.

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
I looked up th evendor they were J & K bullets, here is the link

http://jkbullets.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8_40&products_id=79

They do not sell any 200 gr 45 long colt bullets
they do sell 1K of 200 gr 45 acp bullets for $ 132.00 that the purchase I made.

I've been using calipers since 1983, these are dail and I check zero each time I pick them up, I do not have a 1" calibrated gauge, but I assume if they zero then they should be ok at 1.45 "

No overpressure signs on the used brass ( no bulging or flattened primers )

Thanks for the replies, I'll run some thru the sig ( light loads )

The PMC brass seems to be most susceptable to not fitting into the gauge after loading, so I'm setting those aside, I assue they have a thicker case wall ??.

Should I contact J&K and ask them *** ??
If they are at .454-.455 diameter, you got an oversized batch. The J&K plated are made by Xtreme. I just received and order from Xtreme for 230 gr. 45acp JHP's and RN and just checking several they are right at .452. So, if you're sure they are oversized, you may be best served to contact J&K for replacement.

·
Banned
12,388 Posts
You have some typing errors in your posts, so it's hard to tell exactly what's going on. Errors like this:

I assume if they zero then they should be ok at 1.45 "

You probably mean 1.245" brother.
At this point I'm not sure if the 210 grain reported in your thread starting post is correct
or you mean 230 grain, the link in your post #8 above this one is for 230 grain bullets.
Your original post says 210. So it's hard to tell exactly what happened.

So here is some wisdom from an old old guy:

210 grain bullets measuring .454 are for pre-1930's Colt, Rem and S&W revolvers
chambered for the old black powder type 45 Colt cartridge, typically those barrels
were bored to .454" back then, and 210 grain was one of the most common weights.
If your bullets truly weight 210 grains and measure .454 or .455, then you have
bullet specifically made for the old old 45 Colt revolver.

I don't know if they sent you the wrong bullets, or you ordered the wrong ones
by mistake, or whatever else might have happened. But if they measure .454 or .455
those are indeed the wrong bullets.

Will they shoot? Maybe. Will they do harm? Most likely not, but
the wise reloader never uses such oversize bullets anyway. It ain't smart.
Don't use them any more if they measure .454 or .455.

Since the order was last year, J&K may not be able to help you.

Lesson: When you get new components, whether primer/powder/bullet/brass
always check them out before using them. Things get switched out and
mistakes are made. Always check them out. I've done that for 45 years,
you have no excuse for not doing it too.

·
Banned
12,388 Posts
By the way, if you try to resize down to .451 or .452 it will work, but
they probably won't be accurate. I've done it before, and they do size down.
But most of them aren't concentric any more.

Cast lead bullet size down well. Plated and jacketed don't unless you use
one of the special sizing dies made for resizing jacketed.

Set them aside. Lesson learned.
Maybe some old old coot needs them.
Go to a 'Cowboy' shoot and ask around.
Give them away and make him happy.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Nick: part of my post didn't come through. I suggested that he might be able to size the plated bullets down but that I had never done that only having sized cast.
Will the resizing crack the plating?

·
Banned
12,388 Posts
Nick: part of my post didn't come through.
I suggested that he might be able to size the plated bullets down
but that I had never done that only having sized cast.
Will the resizing crack the plating?
No, the copper plating is amazingly malleable and bends easily.
(for fun, take an old plated bullet or one you recovered from a berm
and mash it with a hammer on concrete or anvil. The plating is
extremely malleable! Hard to break until you mash it nearly flat.)

The problem I've had in the past is concentricity. To squeeze the bullet down,
sometimes the bullet pushes itself off center if that's the path of least resistance.
It's only .001 or .002 inch, but that makes a wobbly bullet.

You can do it. But best if the bullets can be traded to someone who needs them!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
My contribution to this thread

...so I start measuring the J&B and notice they are all either .454 or .455" !

Did I buy .45 colt bullets ?????? :scratch::scratch::scratch:
The SAAMI dimension for .45 Colt bullets is 0.4560", +0",- 0.0060"

The SAAMI dimension for jacketed .45 ACP bullets is 0.4520", +0, -0.0030", and for lead, 0.4530", +0", 0.0030"

So your bullets are definitely out of spec for a .45 ACP, and in spec for a .45 Colt.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The inability to seat is ussually from a slight bulge at the base of the projectile, not from the projectie loding in the lands/grooves.

Sometimes a slight burr on the base ( from extractor ?? ) will cause an empty shell not to drop into the gauge, a file takes care of that.

I'll bring home a digital set of calipers tomorrow and double check the bullet diameter now that I see J&K doesn't sell 45 long colt plated bulets.

I am using a LEE die set, which if made after 86 or 96 should be tapered, I'll look it over to see what is stamped on the die.

Thanks Ya'll

·
Registered
3 Posts
I mistakenly purchased a box of .45lc semi wadcutters.
They are .452, same as all the other .45 I've bought.
They are a lot longer though, so seating them to ACP OAL resulted in the bullet being far deeper in the case than a typical bullet.
I did not try firing them, I just pulled the ones I'd made. My concern was that I might be compressing the powder and cause over pressure.

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
I mistakenly purchased a box of .45lc semi wadcutters.
They are .452, same as all the other .45 I've bought.
They are a lot longer though, so seating them to ACP OAL resulted in the bullet being far deeper in the case than a typical bullet.
I did not try firing them, I just pulled the ones I'd made. My concern was that I might be compressing the powder and cause over pressure.

Which semi-wadcutters? 255's work fine as do 300gr flat points. With heavy bullets, you use less powder.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
of the 15 to 19 or so I just loaded that WOULD NOT fit in the cartridge gauge, 4 fit in the RO chamber, another 9 fit in the STI Ranger II chamber, and the final four would only fit in the Sig 220 chamber.

All were consumed via the Sig without issue.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts