1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I have a totally unreliable Ruger 22 cal (Ruger 22/45). Probably the biggest jam-a-matic I ever owned.

DId anyone hear of a recall?

·
Registered
355 Posts
I've got the same gun with the 4" slab side barrel. I've probably put 3000 rounds through mine. I love it. Great little plinker, but if you don't keep the chamber and slide clean, it won't shoot worth a darn. With cci blazer ammo, I've gone 400 rounds between cleanings without one problem.

Haven't heard of any recalls, and I wouldn't send mine in anyway.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
I too have a 22/45.

Mine has the 4" bull barrel, and has never given any problem over many years' use. (Except like all Ruger .22LR semiautos, they're always difficult to disassemble and reassemble. ;) )

·
Registered
841 Posts
That's a shame, what are you experiencing? Have you done a detailed cleaning?
You know taken it completely apart and checked for any burs or something gumming up the works. After owning 2 MK II, I jumped all over the 22/45 Lite when it came out.
Was yours new when you got it? I inherited one from my brother and it required some new parts but it runs like a champ now. Don't give up on it.

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
The MK III's including the 22/45s were recalled in 2005 when they first added the loaded chamber indicator. "Bullseye" of the Guntalk forum discovered a problem where a round would be set off if the chamber indicator was hit hard enough, like the gun being dropped on it. He used a hammer to try it. Ruger stopped shipping and did a redesign based on his findings. It had nothing to do with the gun jamming.

To the OP, you may want to visit Guntalk and post the problem there. Be descriptive as to the type of jam you are having or post pictures.
http://guntalk-online.com/forum/index.php

·
Registered
14,941 Posts
I shoot a basic 5.5" Target Model, as well as the 10149, which features a threaded barrel and rails top and bottom. They never fail. I've done the slingshot mod and 86d the mag cutoff via a Tandemkross bushing on both. My daughter, one of her friends, and my brother are all recent acquirers of 22/45s.

We all love them; they never fail.

I'd bet that whatever's wrong with the OP's is a simple fix. He didn't give enough info to make any kind of recommendation, though.

My first thought would be that it just needs cleaning and lubing. Also, every 22/45 mag that I've bought has required some kind of dry lube, in order for the follower to freely move up-and-down the mag. Graphite works great, but is messy.

I removed the LCI from both my 22/45s. Discarded the metal piece that engages the cartridge and reinstalled the LCI.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have the same but model 10107, 5.5" barrel. No issues at all. Very accurate and reliable. A good cleaning might help. Just have fun getting it back together.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have the 22/45 with a 4" bull barrel. It runs pretty much flawless. I did disassemble the magazines and did some de-buring as they has some rough spots where the follower would hang up.

It's simple to take them apart, make sure to note how the springs are oriented, then get some 400 grit wet dry sand paper and smooth the tube out inside and out paying attention to the track that the thumb piece runs. Also be sure to run your mags dry, no oil as oil can cause all manner of feed issues. Maybe a small amount of graphite like was said earlier, but if you really smooth out the track and thumb piece you shouldn't need anything.

And as has already been stated, try some different ammo, CCI Mini Mags work flawless in anything I run them in.

·
Registered
14,941 Posts
I'm running what used to be cheap, bulk ammo in mine, of various brands. Only ammo I've had problems with was Remmy sub-sonic; it's worthless. The Remmy won't run in my 10/22, either.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Funny you ask this because my 22/45 is a mess also. I've done quite a bit of research and have found that if the gun is clean then the likely culprit is the extractor and its best to replace with the Volquartzen Exact Edge Kit.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/36...mark-iii-22-45?cm_cat=Cart&cm_pla=ProductDesc

I'm going to get two kits because its supposed to be a good upgrade for the 10/22 rifle also.

My extractor doesn't look bad but I guess and I have heard that the point has to be extremely sharp in order to flip the shell clear.

You are supposed to use just the extractor on your 22/45 not the spring.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I have a SS MKIII that will shoot anything. There are a couple of things you can do to help with the feeding. Stingers are not recommend in this gun, as per Ruger. One is a mod to the magazine to allow the bullet to release a tad earlier. This works quite well on the 22/45 due to the feed angle. This mod works very well. http://www.1bad69.com/ruger/stovepipe.htm I had one magazine that worked and one that did not. What I found was the lips were at a different spacing. Once I corrected the one off it ran just fine.

If the LCI gets gummed up it will cause stove pipes too. I use this as a indicator as when it's time to detail clean.

A dirty chamber can cause problems too.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Not all Rugers are difficult.

I too have a 22/45.

Mine has the 4" bull barrel, and has never given any problem over many years' use. (Except like all Ruger .22LR semiautos, they're always difficult to disassemble and reassemble. ;) )
:D My son now has my 22/45 SS hunter and I have a New Ruger SR22 pistol. Not only reliable but very easy to field strip.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts