1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My most reliable 1911 is one that I custom built. I have 3k+ rounds through it, and I have only had one failure to feed, which wasn't actually the gun's fault - a friend let me try a mag of his reloads and one round had a primer that wasn't seated fully. So technically, it hasn't hickuped one time since the first test fire, literally.

Not only is it reliable, it's dead on accurate and feels better in my hand than any 1911 in my safe.

I haven't measured the trigger pull, but I think it's in the 4-5lb range. I stiffened up the stock weight of a C&S tactical ignition kit. It is not a hair trigger by any means.

I have been carrying it daily for the last few weeks. When I do, I feel sure it will work when I need it, which in turn gives me a fair amout of personal security.

Do you carry a custom gun you built? If not, why?

Take care.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I don't carry a gun Ive built because I haven't finished building one yet. I've got a gun built on a springfield slide/frame that isn't refinished yet but it's a fullsize so it's out of the question for me. I can see myself building a commander size and carrying it in the future though.

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
No,
I've never had the slightest desire to build my own gun, and carry it or not.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Do you carry a custom gun you built? If not, why?
Take care.
More power to ya.

To be really honest here........with my mechanical ability if I carried a gun that I personally built it would be a guarantee of getting myself shot dead :mummy::bawling: if I ever needed said gun to save my bacon. That is just the reality of my mechanical talents in relation to building up a gun from scratch.

I trust the makers of the guns I own to make them. All but one of the herd has actually run full tilt right out of the box. Some needed a touch of accuracy work though and my smith might tweak them a bit but those makers do seem to know what they are doing in terms of my experience to date. My name brand "carry" guns (one 1911 9mm and one 1911 .45) also have at least 10,000+ rounds through them now so I know them very well. I am comfortable trusting them and the folks who made them.

Be safe, shoot well. :rock:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Unfortunately, I don't trust my own skill yet. This is much like my auto repair skills... I'll fix your brakes, but I won't ride in the car once I'm done.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
mine is in the process of being modified but I'm able to carry it as I'm working on it...

·
Registered
373 Posts
Sorta

I do trigger spring work on all my S&W revolvers to improve the double action pull and I repair my 1911's as needed, ie. sears springs etc. that wear out over time. It is good to know how your guns work and to be able to repair them. I recently purchased the first Glock I have owned in many years, the first thing I did was get the armorers manual for it, I intend to know it inside and out before long. A police officer buddy laughed at me for wanting to know how to work on a Glock, he swears I'll never break it, but I will if I can!

Robin

·
Registered
317 Posts
I do trigger spring work on all my S&W revolvers to improve the double action pull and I repair my 1911's as needed, ie. sears springs etc. that wear out over time. It is good to know how your guns work and to be able to repair them. I recently purchased the first Glock I have owned in many years, the first thing I did was get the armorers manual for it, I intend to know it inside and out before long. A police officer buddy laughed at me for wanting to know how to work on a Glock, he swears I'll never break it, but I will if I can!

Robin
If you were in the service it is possible! they say a soldier can break and anvil with a rubber mallet!

seriously I once built a PARA frame kit myself and it worked great, but I had to sell it, now where I work would never except anything not professionally made and I carry what I carry on or off duty

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Nope.

Frankly, I'm a fairly good manipulator of controls, but a lousy mechanic. I'd like to build one myself one of these days, but it wouldn't be my carry gun. It's a confidence thing, I guess.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I spent 9 months building the gun I spoke of, making sure each step was perfect before moving on to the next. I'm am an overachieving perfectionist when it comes to anything I make, or build. Some call it anal, I call it realistic.

:)

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
I spent 9 months building the gun I spoke of, making sure each step was perfect before moving on to the next. I'm am an overachieving perfectionist when it comes to anything I make, or build. Some call it anal, I call it realistic.

:)

Whatever you have to tell yourself to get through the day
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
I spent 9 months building the gun I spoke of, making sure each step was perfect before moving on to the next. I'm am an overachieving perfectionist when it comes to anything I make, or build. Some call it anal, I call it realistic.:)
Again....more power to ya. Enjoy that gun. :rock:

·
Registered
745 Posts
I've never built one from the ground up, but I have modded my own daily carry. On my SA "Loaded" Gov't model over the years I have, fitted a new EGW bushing, EGW slide stop, EGW square bottom FPS, Grieder solid trigger, EGW ignition components (hammer, hammer strut, sear and disconnector), new S&A magwell/MSH removing the ILS components and installing Ed Brown guts, with new mainspring, new sear spring, and replaced the full length 2 piece guide rod with a Ed Brown GI style. There has probably been some other cosmetic changes too that I am forgetting. Zero post mod failures and several thousand rounds through the process. It seems to be an ever evolving pursuit of the perfect CCW/defensive piece. It'll probably get more work done to possibly include a new finish in the future. It's been through daily carry, training courses, and the like and has been utterly reliable. I trust it.

-Hershey

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Yes, my carry gun is a customized SA Mil-Spec that I did my own work on.

I personally enjoy working with my hands and I really learned a lot and had a lot of fun working on my 1911. I plan to build one from the ground up when I have the time and money.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts