1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What does the Mk IV stand for on the Colt?

What does the Mk IV stand for on the Colt?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
:hrm: , I once heard a story long ago that the 'MK IV' rollmarks actually stood for the name of a Colt employee, Mark Ivy.

Yes I know I sound gullable but it sounded sincere when I was told it.

·
Registered
451 Posts
if that's true, I wonder what greatness did "Mark Ivy" do to deserve to have a gun named after him?

Also why would they put "MARK IV" instead of "MARK IVY"? who's suppose to know that it stood for a person's name?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Oh, great... the "question with no good answer" has reared its' ugly head for the umpteenth time... :rolleyes:

Mikey D...

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
darkest2000 said:
if that's true, I wonder what greatness did "Mark Ivy" do to deserve to have a gun named after him?

Also why would they put "MARK IV" instead of "MARK IVY"? who's suppose to know that it stood for a person's name?
Maybe because Colt had Trooper revolvers of the MKII and MKIII variety.....MKIV just fit......like all the revolvers being named after snakes :hrm: , just a style?

Steelharp said:
Oh, great... the "question with no good answer" has reared its' ugly head for the umpteenth time... :rolleyes:

Mikey D...
:biglaugh: sorry to fuel the fire :biglaugh:

Hey you know, the letter D is the fourth one in the alphabet, maybe they named 'em after you MiKey D
:eek: :D

·
Registered
696 Posts
Oh, my word, the secret's out... thanks, JeffC... now I hafta killya... :D

Mikey D...

·
Registered
451 Posts
here's what I think:

1911 = MK I

1911A1 = MK II

Pre S70 = MK III

S70 = MK IV

Then again I'm stupid and ignorant so the above is probably wrong.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
RogerC said:
That Mark Ivy story is pure urban legend crap.

could very well be crap.....

Steelharp said:
Oh, my word, the secret's out... thanks, JeffC... now I hafta killya... :D

Mikey D...
:biglaugh:

darkest2000 said:
here's what I think:

1911 = MK I

1911A1 = MK II

Pre S70 = MK III

S70 = MK IV

Then again I'm stupid and ignorant so the above is probably wrong.
Hey, where is our Mark? as in mark1648, he could end this mystery.

Then again, so could dsk :hrm: .

·
Registered
634 Posts
some of you guys have way to much time on your hands, I have no clue as to the origin. I will ask around in the morning and see what I can find out.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
JeffC said:
could very well be crap.....

Hey, where is our Mark? as in mark1648, he could end this mystery.

Then again, so could dsk :hrm: .
Maybe Mark will have a gun named after him too.

Mark MDCXLVIII :D

·
Registered
422 Posts
I always thought it had a parallel with the Lincoln Mark IVs. You know, that whole 70s thing with loud clothes, loud cars, and loud rollmarks. :)

·
Registered
535 Posts
We're gonna get spanked for going off "topic".

But then again, that Mark Ivy thing is so silly.........

I suppose I could bring it back by asking, Are there any INTERNAL differences between a MK IV and a 1991?

·
Registered
634 Posts
OK, I asked the question and was told it was a marketing call, at the time we were making the trooper series as "Mark" so this was carried over to the new model O with the firing pin block safety.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Mark1648 said:
OK, I asked the question and was told it was a marketing call, at the time we were making the trooper series as "Mark" so this was carried over to the new model O with the firing pin block safety.
Sorry for my ignorance, but when you mentioned the firing pin block were you referring to the Series 80 FPS? If so why is MK IV stamped on Series 70...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts