1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the future I would like replace my Glock-17 with a Colt 1991A1 as my defensive carry weapon. While I'm saving for the purchase I would like to know whats the difference between a Colt 1991A1 & 1991A1 Government model? Is one a better choice for a defensive weapon over the other? Thanks Jack

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
I did not know that there was a difference unkess you were refering to a commander or compact model.

------------------
DEATH TO THE NEW WORLD ORDER!

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
jackdarkknight, if your referring to the 1991A1 and the 1911A1 then basically the only difference is in the quality of the finish. The 1991's come with a matte blue finish or a matte stainles while the 1911's came in polished blue or stainless. Both function the same and parts are 100% interchangeable. From what I understand, the 1991 line was intended more as an economical line. You can't go wrong with either one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by jackdarkknight:
In the future I would like replace my Glock-17 with a Colt 1991A1 as my defensive carry weapon. While I'm saving for the purchase I would like to know whats the difference between a Colt 1991A1 & 1991A1 Government model? Is one a better choice for a defensive weapon over the other? Thanks Jack
On the Colt web site they list under personal protection a 1991A1. Then under preformance products a Special Combat Govt. Competition (I incorrectly called this a 1991A1 Govt.) The Combat Govt. has some enhanced features like a polished & throated barrel, a flared mag. well(?) & other features I'm not familiar with. Whats the difference between these 2 pistols? Thanks Jack

·
Banned
5,947 Posts
Hi JDK...
The 1991A1 is Colt's standard production Government Model. The Colt Special Combat Government is a Government Model from Colt's Custom Shop. The estimated difference is probably about $600 to $700 and all the custom features already mentinoned.
Regards,
Sam

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
Let me educate you to the Colt tradition. A Government model is the Colt 1911 made for civilians. It has to be full size 5" and either 45ACP, 38SUPER or 9mm. If its 4.5" in barrel length and a Colt its a Commander. If its 3.5" its an Officers. If it 3" its a Defender from the Colt people. So your best choice is a M1991A1.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,216 Posts
While "1911" serves to describe all of the decendents of Browning's design, here on the Colt forum we should make a greater distinction. M1911 and M1911A1 are military designations. The pistols made by Colt for commercial consumption are the Government Model, Commander, and Officers ACP (note: Officers Model is a .38 revolver). The M1991A1 is a Government Model variation that has a matte finish resembling the wartime M1911A1. No M1911's have been made since the mid-'20's and no M1911A1's since the mid-'40's, so all full-size Colts of even not-so-recent production are "Government Models". In the last ten years, Colt has gone from "Government Model" to "Enhanced Government Model" to "XS Government Model" to "XSE Government Model" - those are not necessarily official Colt designations, but what shooters and collectors call them. The M1991A1, in 5", 4.25" and 3.5" forms are the less-expensive versions of their like-dimensioned bretheren.

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
I guess you have a point RickB. But the 1911A1 in civilian form continued until 1970 in my book. Because it was unchanged in basic form and sarety function until the series 70 from the Commercial line. Which is either a 1911 or 1911A1 until then. Dating January 1912 till July 4, 1970. Hint July forth is my own addition as well as January 1912.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,216 Posts
So, what would you make of a gun described as a Series 70 1911A1 Commander? If we mix the designations, nobody knows what anyone is talking about. I think Colt started down that slippery slope when they changed the name of the Commander to Lightweight Commander. I guess if we can still argue the merits of ".45 Long Colt" versus ".45 Colt", more than 100 years later, we can still make conversation about 1911A1 Government Models, .45 Officers Models, etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts