1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, I know. 30 grains! :)

Seriously, though, I understand the BIG differences, +P versus standard, 230 versus say 185.

But 230 loaded to 850 or 200 loaded to 900 ft/s are so close in weight velocity and energy, what is the difference? I'm thinking while the edge in terminal ballistics might go to the 230, it has to be a very slight edge.

Just curious. I'm trying out a Hornady 200 gr. 900 ft/s load from Hornady and Fiocchi, but haven't gotten them to the range yet. I kind of like a few extra ft/s velocity for my 4" barrel guns.

Would using the 200 gr. 900 ft/s load affect choice of spring weight at all?

Thanks.

John

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Your target will never notice the difference between the two. If you like them, I'd use them.

No need for any spring change.

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I figured there wouldn't be much difference. Just variety is the spice of life, eh?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Speer has a 230gr standard and a 200gr +P. From what I've read, the 230gr standard pressure load performs better on both penetration and expansion. Go figure.

I think it's not so much about which weight or velocity of projectile you use, but how that projectile was designed to perform and having it within the velocity window it was designed for.

No matter what you shoot out of your 1911, it's going to make a big hole in whatever it hits. The rest is just hair splitting.

Shoot what feels right for you and runs in your guns.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Spring rate wont be an issue.
The difference between 230 and 200 grain bullets is this...the 200 grain slows down faster, even through the air, and especially through tissue.

Compare the downrange velocity of both of them...dont just look at muzzle velocity.
Just an approximate figure...but...if you start that 200 out at 900fps and the 230 at 850fps...by the 50 yard line they will be doing nearly the same fps. Its momentum. Hope this helps

·
Registered
672 Posts
After shooting both of them loaded to major power factor for IPSC matches, I have found that the 200 gr bullet will give a snappier recoil backward where the 230 grainer tends to raise the muzzle more.
IMHO, you can get back on target quicker with the lighter bullet.

FWIW

dj

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I forgot more mass will retain more energy further out. This probably is splitting hairs. Maybe I'll just stick with the old tried and true 230 gr. Been doing it for 20 years, but figured maybe there was a good reason the 200 grain is getting marketed for defense.

"Marketed" probably being the operative word there.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
JohnCollins said:
I forgot more mass will retain more energy further out. This probably is splitting hairs.
It is splitting hairs, but its still good to know...you asked the difference and this was the best way I knew how to explain it.

A small difference...but a difference no matter how you slice it.:)

EDIT: Marketed IS the operative word IMO...fps sells...even if it does nothing at all for terminal performance.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I have had 2 cases of Fiocchi 200gr 45acp on order since July...they are backordered over 150 cases of this round and over 500 cases backordered of the 230gr load....so I called Georgia Arms and have 500 rounds of the 200gr Gold Dots coming in at normal velocity NOT plus P stuff....and should be happy with that load for both practice and self defence....I like the snappier load of 200 or 185 over the 230s....methinks better ballistics also....
will let you know when it gets here....

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
GilaJorge said:
I have had 2 cases of Fiocchi 200gr 45acp on order since July...they are backordered over 150 cases of this round and over 500 cases backordered of the 230gr load....so I called Georgia Arms and have 500 rounds of the 200gr Gold Dots coming in at normal velocity NOT plus P stuff....and should be happy with that load for both practice and self defence....I like the snappier load of 200 or 185 over the 230s....methinks better ballistics also....
will let you know when it gets here....
Please do post your thoughts here when you get your ammo. I honestly think looking at the numbers, the difference between these loads is probably splitting hairs, but I'm curious. I am going to shoot them side/side, as well.

I have 3 1911 pistols, and Gold Dots give me trouble with a couple of them occasionally. I'm looking into the XTPs because they seem to have the same (or nearly) reputation for feed reliability as the golden sabers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts