1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well...?

When answering, please explain all the terms: autoindexing, dies, etc. etc. etc. I am an ABSOLUTE beginner...thanks.

------------------
Jeff More
Irvine, PRC
All your AR-15 are belong to us!

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Originally posted by Skunkabilly:
Well...?

When answering, please explain all the terms: autoindexing, dies, etc. etc. etc. I am an ABSOLUTE beginner...thanks.
Primarily, has one more "station" (5 total) for the "Powder Check System" to check for no/double charge, and optional Auto Case feeding assembly.

The 550 requires you to place cases by hand, on the turret, and has 4 station's.

Both use 3 pistol dies, and seat, and crimp the bullet seperately.

The 650 is more automated, although both feature an Auto-index turntable. Auto-Index is the locating of the case under the die so that it aligns when you pull, or push the lever.

You would start with a downstoke to deprimed, then an upstroke to prime, then the caseplate is rotated, and the case charged. The case mouth is flared on the downstroke when the charge is inserted, and the bullet is placed (by hand), the caseplate is rotated again, and the bullet is seated to the adjusted depth. The caseplate is rotate again, and the case is crimped. After the first case is placed, and finished, each pull of the handle finishes another round.

The 650 will have 5 running at one time, the 550 with have 4.

Check out the Dillon website if you haven't.
http://dillonprecision.com/

Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
another differance is the 550 is easier for a beginer to learn how to reload on. the 650 is a good machine to crank out alot of round on. I've loaded 1000 round an hour on mine, but I wouldn't recommend it for a beginer. the 550 can be used like a turret press, and you can simply load 1 round at a time until you get confortable with it, then use the press to it full potental. the 650's primer system doesn't allow it to be used in that manner.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Supercomp,

Sure you can use the 650 one round at a time. Simply remove the primer advance (1 easily accessible allen head--they even provide the wrench) and manually advance the primer feed when you need it (one push of the lever).

Steve

1 - 4 of 4 Posts