1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Difference between Remington "Golden Sabre" 5 auto 230 grain amd the Rem-UMC Value Pa

... other than the plated case? The value pack ammo has been 100% reliable, and when I can find it, it is affordable enough to practice with and refresh my carry ammo.

Just wondering how much I'm giving up verses the premium stuff.

·
Registered
270 Posts
You can find gel tests of both those and more on youtube. The gel tests showed val pack HP rounds mostly behaving like FMJ.

I look for or load rounds that have a similar recoil pulse as my carry ammo then just fire enough of the premium rounds to know where they print. Since the difference in POI has been a max of about 2" at 15 yards for my 45's. Training with the cheap stuff and carrying premium ammo works for me.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Golden Saber bullets are top of the line, fairly advanced technology bullets that offer really good expansion and penetration. Great for self defense. Cost more.

Rem-UMC JHPs are low tech, old technology that work OK but aren't in the same class as Golden Sabers. Cheaper.

·
Registered
130 Posts
For reliability you aren't giving up anything. Remington doesn't make a higher grade of primers (the #1 cause of misfires) for handgun ammunition. You are giving up some terminal performance though.

Shooting anything living will always have some randomness to it, but in ballistic gelatin Golden Sabres will expand under a wider array of circumstances.

Are Golden Sabres still top of the line? I guess they are for Remington ammunition. Compared to premium SD ammo from almost anyone else... Not quite so much IMO.

·
Premium Member
6,108 Posts
For reliability you aren't giving up anything. Remington doesn't make a higher grade of primers (the #1 cause of misfires) for handgun ammunition. You are giving up some terminal performance though.

Shooting anything living will always have some randomness to it, but in ballistic gelatin Golden Sabres will expand under a wider array of circumstances.

Are Golden Sabres still top of the line? I guess they are for Remington ammunition. Compared to premium SD ammo from almost anyone else... Not quite so much IMO.

I've burned a lot of standard Golden Sabre and never had a misfire due to a primer issue (or any other cause for that matter). Far as that goes, never a problem firing any of the cheap green/white box stuff. Can't say the same for Winchester white box or Federal Champion. Golden Sabre is top quality home defense ammo that is just as good as other brands home defense ammo that is not bonded LE grade. The bonded version of GS is still one of the best for serious SD and one of the most reliable out there in terms of feeding in damn near everything.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I've checked videos on YouTube - from a 5" barrel, fired through 4 layers of denim, the round expands to 0.652" (around 44% expansion) and retained 221 grains of weight - about 96%. It penetrated 17.5 inches of ballistic gelatin in that test, so I guess that translates to about 16 inches in flesh.

However, in other videos, when shot from barrels less than 4" in length, velocities were well under 800 fps and the bullet showed no expansion at all.

The good news is I have yet to have a failure to feed in anything I've tried it in, and it has fired 100% - no bad primers. It also seems to shoot small groups, very close to point of aim for pistols sighted in for 230 grain ball.

Since I carry a full size 1911, and am on a low budget, I'm going to keep using it when I can find it. It might not be the best choice for a shorter barreled piece.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Golden Sabre is top quality home defense ammo that is just as good as other brands home defense ammo that is not bonded LE grade.
There is no such thing as "bonded LE grade". All premium bonded bullets are available for sale on the civilian market. All copper expanding bullets are also available to the civilian market. The ideas that the Golden Sabres are top notch, but there are better options available, are not compatible. It is either top notch or there are better option available.

·
Registered
113 Posts
There is no such thing as "bonded LE grade". All premium bonded bullets are available for sale on the civilian market. All copper expanding bullets are also available to the civilian market. The ideas that the Golden Sabres are top notch, but there are better options available, are not compatible. It is either top notch or there are better option available.
Actually, Remington does make a Golden Saber Bonded LE loading that isn't available in consumer retail outlets that sell the non-bonded commercial Golden Saber. In my limited testing, it is top notch.

·
Premium Member
14,684 Posts
Since I carry a full size 1911, and am on a low budget, I'm going to keep using it when I can find it. It might not be the best choice for a shorter barreled piece.
full size or 3" it may not be the "best" choice , but put your shots where they need to be, (in the blood rich vitals) and it's still a 1/2" dia heavy chunk-o-lead at "worst" case scenario

Which i have NO doubt will make for a bad day on any thug

moral of the story..shoot what's reliable first, and second, the best you can afford

..L.T.A.

·
Premium Member
6,108 Posts
Standard Golden Saber is a non-bonded bullet. Remington sells that bullet as a component, but not the bonded version. The factory loaded ammo is marked "Golden Saber Bonded" and has a part number of GSB45APB. I have never seen it offered for sale by anybody as a regular issue round. Some places do sell it along with the bonded versions of other brands (like SGAmmo) that are normally sold primarily to LE. SGAmmo is where I got mine.

GS Bonded is a top notch load, though it is somewhat dated compared to newer designs. The standard GS bullet is also excellent, and has a good reputation compared to other non-bonded ammo marketed as personal defense ammo. Both versions feed better than any other bullet or factory HP ammo I've tried.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Golden Saber bullets are top of the line, fairly advanced technology bullets that offer really good expansion and penetration. Great for self defense. Cost more.

Rem-UMC JHPs are low tech, old technology that work OK but aren't in the same class as Golden Sabers. Cheaper.
Yeah - heard good things about GS. Carry the 124 gr +P in my G19 and the 230 gr in my 1911. Never had any failure to feed/extract/fire issues.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Actually, Remington does make a Golden Saber Bonded LE loading that isn't available in consumer retail outlets that sell the non-bonded commercial Golden Saber. In my limited testing, it is top notch.
Those bullets can easily be bought over the internet. You can apply whatever label you want to their performance, but anyone can buy them. I don't understand why you keep insisting otherwise.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts