1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might have been asked a million times, but I just want to make sure. As far as I can tell, the 1991A1 differs from a typical 1911A1 in these respects:

- Plastic trigger & mainspring housing
- Series 80 firing pin block
- Flat mainspring housing
- "1991A1" written in large letters on the side.

Are there any other major differences between the '91A1 and the '11A1 that I should be aware of?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I think 1911A1s had short triggers and arched mainspring housings, while current 1991s have long triggers and flat MSHs. Also the current 1991 has a lowered ejection port and better (bigger) sights. This is in addition to the differences you already noted.

·
Administrator
73,370 Posts
Also add the throated barrel in the 1991 for JHP ammo, and the fact that control surfaces are all serrated while 1911A1s typically had checkered steel parts.

Then you could go into the fact that 1991s are made on CAD equipment, and use cast or MIM internal parts, and so on and so on.

Oh, and don't forget the lanyard loop.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI 1911 pistols website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
Ok so now you know the technical differences. The others would be to make money during peacetime. To sale a fantastic, though not authentic WWII replica. To those of us who appreciate a fantastic weapon. To reaffirm our greatness as a nation. For those of us who can do it. For a supplier and builder and designer. In the hands of different owners. Who also had this respect and knowledge. This is a great housebreed that does it for the good of the people. During peacetime or wartime. So don't give them the benefit of the doubt. But get them if you appreciate them. Which most here do. Unless their a, "Oh but my $2500 Wilson feeds better then my ____". Who cares, just get what turns you on. I'm sure whatever it is is good on its standing on price, name or, quality hand fitted build. Another technical difference between a WWII A1 and a 91A1. Would be the 91A1s available in stainless. Has an additional 45 years of research and development. And is much better than its predecessor. If not in durability, reliability and, accuracy alone.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I guess it would just be too much to expect that the NEW Colt 1911A1 is manufactured with all bar-stock/machined tool steel parts instead of cast & MIM parts???

The pictures of the new 1911A1 does show a laynard loop, with an arched MSH though. Yet for the price ($1,000 +/-), I think I'll stick with the real OLD things. (As a bonus, I get a little but significant piece of firearms' history as a benefit of the bargain.)

Regards,

Roger

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
about 450.00

Roger asks a good question though. What is inside?? 1080 extruded sear?? that would be nice. machined grip safety.......

If it is the same guts, 450.00 for roll marks and a steel mainspring housing and trigger seems pretty pricy??
geo ><>

It would be KooL if they did indeed find them in a vault somewhere. Not KooL that someone tried to use that.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info guys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts