1911Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What makes the Brown $200-$500 more expensive on average than the Wilsons? A friend told me that Wilson buys frames from Kimber, then fits their parts to their specs.

I really like the Wilson combat but if I am going to spend about $2k then would the Brown be worth the extra bucks?

I don't do any competition shooting but am a nut for accuracy, even thought I am not that good. Just like to know that when I miss it aint the gun!

I currently have a full size 70 series colt and a Kimber pro carry I.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I own both brands. I own one EB Kobra Two-Tone, and um, five Wilsons. I'm going to trim the herd and just have four Wilsons: a 1996A2, a Protector, a CQB, a CQB-C, and a s/s KZ-45. The Kobra and s/s KZ-45 are soon to be history. I'm gonna miss the KZ...

I would encourage you to look around for a lightly-used, heavily breathed-on CQB, Protector, 1996A2, or Millennium Protector. They can be had for a considerable savings over a new pistol, and the warranty service (in the unlikely event you should ever need it) is superb. I've personally seen WC step up and go over the top when it came to making a customer happy.

The Ed Brown pistols are likewise excellent. You'll find used, pristine, examples are harder to come by due to the smaller numbers produced. You will be well-served by either brand.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
TH55:
I get asked this question quite a bit. The best advice I can give you is that it is like comparing apples to oranges, as the two makers assemble and finish their pistols a little differently. Brown blues his pistols and machines most of the parts that he uses so he can control the tolerances. Brown uses a slip-fit method where the customer is responsible to adjust and set the rear sight. Wilson hand fits most of the pistol and uses Armor-Tuff for a finish. Wilson pistols come with test target and an accuracy guarantee with no further sighting adjustment required by the customer. The bottom line is that Brown makes a really great Apple, and Wilson makes a really great Orange. Either one would be a fine choice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Andy,

Not to be nosey but I am wondering why you are going to part with the Kobra and KZ, but you would miss the KZ. That sounds to me like a preferance for the wilsons. Any particular reason for this?

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Well, the KZ is ... Different. It has never failed to go, "Bang". It's extremely accurate, and I've never had to adjust the sights - nor Loctite them to keep 'em from moving. Lighter than the Ferrous forty-fives, a real neat nylon gun.

The Kobra is nothing more than a tarted-up 1911. A NICE 1911, to be sure, but a 1911 nevertheless. I have a bunch of them, but a polymer 1911 is pretty cool. Beats a Glock.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I personally like Wilson products better. They "look" more appealing to my eyes. They function like butter and ok... I have never really handled a Brown in great lengths...

My shooting buddy carries an Ed Brown Kobra Carry and he swears by the thing. Before that he carried a Les Baer TRS and he said the Kobra Carry is a much better defensive gun. I believe its the same price as the CQB. He LOVES the snakeskin style checkering and feels that Ed Brown has a better custom fit. I don't know about that. I think they are of equal slide to frame fit. And for some reason he loves the "bobtail". He also is big on Brown not using MIM parts.

I've shot it a few times and it is a quality defensive gun for sure but I have to say I like my CQB more. Its what I'm use to and I only carry Gov't size 1911's. The only huge difference is the snakeskin and bobtail. Accuracy wise from a bench rest the CQB did better. Slide to frame fit I honestly didn't see any difference. Both were handfit and both were top notch.

So in a nutshell the only differences I see is the snakeskin checkering and bobtail - everything else faired similar to me. Both are oustanding works of art :cool:

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Actually Browns aren't more expensive than comparable Wilsons. It pays to actually look up the prices involved. ;)

A CQB, Protector or Classic will cost about $1,900 to $2,100 depending on features, etc.

A Kobra is about $1,900 to $2,100 depending on features, etc.

·
Banned
537 Posts
Actually, it depends on the area you're in. Around here you can get CQBs for $1700-$1800 easliy. You can't touch a Kobra for less than $2000-$2100.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Marvel's Quote
"The higher cost of the Brown is probably because it costs more to produce that silly snake skin texture. "

Actually the snake skin is cheaper to produce then the checkering.

:cool:

·
Registered
375 Posts
th55, you do not have a dilemma.

Determine just what you want in a 1911. Find the model in both Brown and Wilson that most closely matches your "wants."

Actually hold each in your hands and give them a close inspection.

Chosing between these fine manufacturers is really in the eye of the beholder.

Both make great pistols. I have a number of products from each. I have never had a part break. Both are reliable and awesome shooters.

My Brown Class A Limited is worth every penny it costs. So is my Wilson 1996A2. Which is better? Every time I leave the range after shooting one of them, I think it is the finest gun I own.

So, as I said, you have no dilemma. If you like the Brown, then it is worth the extra it might cost you.

Andy had a great suggestion. If money is tight, try to find a "used" gun in good condition. Get it tuned if necessary. Knowing both Brown and Wilson, they will return your "used" gun in new condition.

Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
375 Posts
This is the Wilson 1996A2 to which I referred in my earlier post.

As is the Brown, this is a real beauty!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK now, stop it with the pics!

Man, Do I like the look of those two tones!

Unfortunately, I do not live near nor know anyone with one of these guns. (brown or wilson) I did see a poly frame kimber at a local shop and got to feel of it. Pretty tight and overall looked good. Poly is just not for me so KZ is out for now.

Maybe Santa won't hurt me bad this year and will be able to spring for one or the other around first of year till then, will keep looking and trying to keep in mind :

"Having is not allways as a pleasing thing as wanting,
it is not logical, but it is often true" - Mr. Spock

1 - 13 of 13 Posts