1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than your basic crosshair, is there a certain reticle that is best used in judging (or attempting to) elevation, windage or distance?

I know about mil-dot reticles but I have no idea how to properly use one.

Here are some pics of some reticles that I found on the Nightforce website...

Which would you prefer and why?

Again, this thread is for research purposes. I figure if I want to know something, it's best to ask people in the know. :)

Thanks in advance for your comments.

·
Registered
23,212 Posts
I just shoot a scope a lot and become familiar with it and how it shoots at different distances and angles. I used to put the same scope on different guns, but then had go to through the learning curve again on the new gun. These days I have the money to devote a scope to a specific gun.

·
Super Moderator
7,794 Posts
For long range I like the Horus H-25. Its cluttered at first, but in no time you get used to it.

Great for multiple targets if you have a rangefinder.

It also has a grid you can use, but my rangefinder is much faster and I dont have to do any math other than looking up what lines to move to.

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Simplicity is what i'm looking for as well.

Does anyone have a link or can give me a quick tutorial on how to use a mil-dot?

It may be quite simple; I just don't know HOW simple.

I'm guessing each dot be it horizontal or vertical, means a certain 'mil' correction in either elevation or windage depending on how you're sighted in. Is there also a way of rangefinding as well? :dope:

·
Banned
8,526 Posts
Johnny Numbers said:
Simplicity is what i'm looking for as well.

Does anyone have a link or can give me a quick tutorial on how to use a mil-dot?

It may be quite simple; I just don't know HOW simple.

I'm guessing each dot be it horizontal or vertical, means a certain 'mil' correction in either elevation or windage depending on how you're sighted in. Is there also a way of rangefinding as well? :dope:

http://www.shooterready.com/mildot.swf

·
Registered
539 Posts
My eyes (I'm farsighted) have a real problem with the mil-dots if I'm not wearing my glasses. They blur away to nothing if I don't try to focus on both them and the target at the same time. May or may not be an issue for you, but it is for me.

Haven't been able to test it out on anything beyond a 100 yards or so, I'll say that.

·
Banned
975 Posts
i like, and use a nightforce with the np-R2 reticle. if you go with a nightforce, they come with a book that explains how to rangefind with each of their available reticles.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Are you married to the idea of a Nightforce?

If not, for most people that are new to ranging reticles a MOA based reticle that adjusts in fractions of a MOA is the easiest to both comprehend and use. While not exactly correct, for all intense purposes that means 1 MOA = 1" @ 100, 2" @ 200, 3" @ 300 ...... and the optic would then adjust the same way - say the optic adjusts at 1/4 MOA per click. Thus 1 click means 1/4" @100, 1/2" @ 200, 3/4" @ 300....

Do not shy away from MIL based rets as they are just working with a value of 3.6" @ 100, 7.2 @ 200, 10.8 @ 300....

Regardless the best system utilizes an adjustment that is a fraction of whatever the reticle's value is - (example) 1/10 MIL for MIL Dots or 1/4 MOA for MOA based.

More difficult and more common are MIL Dots combined with fractionalized MOA adjustments - (example) some Loopy Mk4's are MIL Dot with 1/4 MOA adj.

Either way, its just math. Although dis-similar adj v. reticle is slower b/c you need to convert one to the other.

Again for those that aren't real familiar with ranging reticles I'd encourage them to look at a MOA / MOA system.

I have some that are MIL/MOA and others that are MIL/MIL - again - its just math.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
HP12C said:
Are you married to the idea of a Nightforce?
No, not really.

I'm just basically researching some different ideas and since the mil-dot seems to be a pretty common type of ranging scope...I just wanted to get some idea of what they are all about.

Of the reticle examples I posted, I like the NP-1RR.

i like, and use a nightforce with the np-R2 reticle.
That one looks pretty interesting as well.

I'm not a math wiz, so a scope that can give me a decent range estimate without having to do a bunch of calculations would be more user friendly in my case.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Johnny Numbers said:
No, not really.

I'm not a math wiz, so a scope that can give me a decent range estimate without having to do a bunch of calculations would be more user friendly in my case.
Don't be intimidated by the math - it is a very simple formula.

If you want to make it as simple as possible - get a MOA reticle and MOA adjustments.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts