1911Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While cleaning a new Defender today I noticed that the throat (6 o'clock position) had, for lack of a better description, and indention in the middle. It is not the smooth throat I am used to seeing on Colts. Is this some sort of improvement to aid in feeding or is it a mistake on my pistol? Anyone else noticed it on a Defender or any other recent manufacture Colt 1911?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
All the new Colt's come with this ramp cut. It gives more support to the bullet without comprimising reliability.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I will second that. I recently obtained a Gold Cup Trophy. When I stripped it down to clean and lube I saw the new throat. I thought that it was going to be a problem and I had resigned myself to possibly getting a new match barrel. Well when I took it to the range the Trophy was very accurate and swallowed everything I fed it. Hollow points, Speer flying ash tray to cruddy reloads. I guess Colt got it right.
I'm a believer.

Long live the 1911.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I agree, I just put a mirror polish on it(did not re-shape) and it feeds anything, mine have been 100%. I don't know how they came up with it, but it feeds super ! These new 1911/GMs are functionally the best they have produced in my opinion (and they don't look to bad either :)

·
Registered
843 Posts
Oops! Please disregard the last part of my previous post. I just noticed where FirearmsPlus says all the new Colts come this way. Sorry 'bout that!-TR

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I believe it was around the begining of the year when Colt started putting stainless barrels in their 1991 series and that's when the change was made. The XSE's also have the cut, but I don't recall if they've always had it or not.
Either way, end of last year, begining of this is about right.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,441 Posts
My M1991A1 was made in '98, and it has the new barrel throat on its blued barrel.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
My Repro has the new-style throat. 100% reliable so far. As dependable as a good revolver, if not moreso.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I looked at a 1991 compact we still have in stock with teh blued barrel, and it does indeed have the new ramp, so it's been a litle longer than I'd thought.
My Defender from the first batch in Dec 97 doesn't though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts