1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

Please don't bash The Mfg of the firearm.

I am considering trading my Colt 100th Anniversary Model (Almost identical to the WW1 model) for a Kimber Super Carry Pro 5" ... at least I believe it to be that model. No swartz safety, Fishscale cut on slide front and back and top...I think It's carry melt...bobbed tail, no laser grips, Aluminum frame. Slide is roll marked "Pro Shop"

My Colt has 25 rounds thru it...and it hits very well...The SCP is NIB.

I welcome a simple trade or don't trade and certainly value experience that offers the positive side of your opinion...I got the negatives..

Example: The Colt will increase in Value = Good Advice
Example: The Colt is a POS = invalid opinion for the purpose of my decision.

It's a hard choice...he might even want $200...Haven't got that far...But I kinda hate to shoot the snot out of a collectible, but that's what I will do if I keep it.

3B

·
Registered
336 Posts
First off, I'm not a 1911 aficionado by any means. I had one back in 90's, stupidly sold it and just Sunday righted that wrong with a Kimber Eclipse Custom II. The only reason I'm contributing to this thread is that I was basically in search of only Kimbers and Colts.

I was doing a trade so I couldn't just go and buy anything I wanted. I had interest from a couple folks with Colts. One was an original 70 (w/ 600 rounds thru it) but had been modified over the years and not by Colt. The second one was a Colt Custom Shop gun that was nice, but he was vague about its round count and held it in a too high esteem price wise.

I really like Kimber and still kick myself for selling mine way back but if I had your gun, I'd probably keep it. I mean, what does it matter how much you shoot it if you're just going trade it away now? Sounds like you want a nice full-size gun to shoot and carry, right? You don't "owe" the Colt any disuse because of its potential collector value.

Moreover, if its not the shooter you want it to be out of the box, send it to Colt, have the Custom Shop refine it and you increase its performance while maintaining its pedigree.

Just my thoughts. Regardless, congrats on having such an enviable dilemma :D

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First off, I'm not a 1911 aficionado by any means. I had one back in 90's, stupidly sold it and just Sunday righted that wrong with a Kimber Eclipse Custom II. The only reason I'm contributing to this thread is that I was basically in search of only Kimbers and Colts.

I was doing a trade so I couldn't just go and buy anything I wanted. I had interest from a couple folks with Colts. One was an original 70 (w/ 600 rounds thru it) but had been modified over the years and not by Colt. The second one was a Colt Custom Shop gun that was nice, but he was vague about its round count and held it in a too high esteem price wise.

I really like Kimber and still kick myself for selling mine way back but if I had your gun, I'd probably keep it. I mean, what does it matter how much you shoot it if you're just going trade it away now? Sounds like you want a nice full-size gun to shoot and carry, right? You don't "owe" the Colt any disuse because of its potential collector value.

Moreover, if its not the shooter you want it to be out of the box, send it to Colt, have the Custom Shop refine it and you increase its performance while maintaining its pedigree.

Just my thoughts. Regardless, congrats on having such an enviable dilemma :D
Correct...I just want a shooter and the Colt as is would be just fine for that...I have a Master Carry Pro 4 inch and it carries as good as a 3 inch for me...(I'm 6ft 6inch tall and weight about 280) so that helps...but It's going to be a plinker is why I want a 5 inch...good for the Glove Box too and the Colt really has a decent trigger and hits good out of the box...It has just a touch of creep that is so insignificant it might polish itself out. But you are correct..I am gonna shoot whichever one I wind up with enough to keep a log on it.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I wouldn't do it. I have owned two Kimbers. A Custom II and an Elite Carry. I currently have a 100th Anniversary Colt Rail Gun. I will not go back to a Kimber, ever.

I have about 5,600 rounds through the Colt. Zero malfunctions. If you don't want to shoot the "collectible", trade it or sell it for a Colt XSE, Combat Elite or Special Combat Government. Whatever you do, don't pay a premium for the Kimber!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldn't do it. I have owned two Kimbers. A Custom II and an Elite Carry. I currently have a 100th Anniversary Colt Rail Gun. I will not go back to a Kimber, ever.

I have about 5,600 rounds through the Colt. Zero malfunctions. If you don't want to shoot the "collectible", trade it or sell it for a Colt XSE, Combat Elite or Special Combat Government. Whatever you do, don't pay a premium for the Kimber!
Thank You for you experience...Some of those Colts you listed are $2K and I have no doubt they are fine firearms...I guess I would take you as a "bird in the hand" since my Current New Colt shoots fine...I'm not wanting to throw another $1000 out there at this point.

I would agree that anytime you trade a sure thing for a possibility there is risk of disappointment.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
My advice would be not to trade, I love my Kimbers but not sure I could give up a Colt 100th anniversary model.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Thank You for you experience...Some of those Colts you listed are $2K and I have no doubt they are fine firearms...I guess I would take you as a "bird in the hand" since my Current New Colt shoots fine...I'm not wanting to throw another $1000 out there at this point.

I would agree that anytime you trade a sure thing for a possibility there is risk of disappointment.
I'm not sure how you arrived at that conclusion? I just ran a quick search and found numerous XSE's and Combat Elites that ran $950-$1,150, depending on finish. The Special Combat Gov't was more, but based on features, I'd actually prefer the ZSE or Combat Elite as a shooter. I actually got my 100th Anniversary CRG slightly used at my LGS for just $850. It came with the original box, papers, etc.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not sure how you arrived at that conclusion? I just ran a quick search and found numerous XSE's and Combat Elites that ran $950-$1,150, depending on finish. The Special Combat Gov't was more, but based on features, I'd actually prefer the ZSE or Combat Elite as a shooter. I actually got my 100th Anniversary CRG slightly used at my LGS for just $850. It came with the original box, papers, etc.
It would seem the dealer has them a tad over valued then...That is a different dealer that has the Kimber...His 100th Ann. model Colt was priced at $1300...but again...a different guy with the Kimber...He is asking $1299 for the SCP. Thanks Glock for throwing that out there...I haven't done much research on The Colts...The one I reference is the only one I have.
Edit/Delete Message

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My advice would be not to trade, I love my Kimbers but not sure I could give up a Colt 100th anniversary model.
Ya know...i haven't had the chance yet but to shoot a few rounds indoors and it was a very pleasant experience...my buddies have high end 1911's or HK's and Fn's, all fine firearms....be kinda neat to do some plinking in the woods with a "100" year old gun and out shoot em...

·
Premium Member
5,385 Posts
this is easy. keep the Colt. Buy a Kimber when you want one.
Kimbers are fine. That Colt is a keeper tho. Shoot it a lot.
There will ALWAYS be a lot of Kimbers available. The 100 yr Colt, not so many.

BTW. TONS of quality "shooter" 1911's if just trying to save your Colt, (but I wouldn't)

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
Both are nice guns and since you state the Colt shoots well, I see no advantage in trading.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
this is easy. keep the Colt. Buy a Kimber when you want one.
Kimbers are fine. That Colt is a keeper tho. Shoot it a lot.
There will ALWAYS be a lot of Kimbers available. The 100 yr Colt, not so many.

BTW. TONS of quality "shooter" 1911's if just trying to save your Colt, (but I wouldn't)
yep...it's unanimous and I have no reason to save it...I'm not a collector...just traded into it and every response so far has been reasonable and in fact...I appreciate the thoughtful answers...I knew the answer already on the Colt forum...that's why I put it here...it has a good home and it's paid for!...it will never see a holster but I will shoot it long after the slide rattles. I might as well keep a log too...just for fun.

·
Premium Member
5,385 Posts
yep...it's unanimous and I have no reason to save it...I'm not a collector...just traded into it and every response so far has been reasonable and in fact...I appreciate the thoughtful answers...I knew the answer already on the Colt forum...that's why I put it here...it has a good home and it's paid for!...it will never see a holster but I will shoot it long after the slide rattles. I might as well keep a log too...just for fun.
Slide rattle on a Colt means nothing! Still might shoot ears off a flea...depends on the pistol.
Shoot it a lot, never sell it. Get another. Kimbers are cool, get one, but keep Colt anyway.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Slide rattle on a Colt means nothing! Still might shoot ears off a flea...depends on the pistol.
Shoot it a lot, never sell it. Get another. Kimbers are cool, get one, but keep Colt anyway.
Agreed...I had a Colt that was one of the Springfield Armory rebuilds from the 50's...My dad paid $50 for it....it was loose as a goose. If was within 50 yrds and 3 inches or bigger, it was a gonner...of course my 57 year old eyes were pretty sharp in the 60's...He gave it to me when I was 12...It got stolen (dumbass me left it in a car) but still as good as any shooter I have ever had...Probably 5000 rds and never replaced a part...not even the slide spring...I DID keep it clean...

I'm gonna keep a log on this Colt just for fun...screw the collectible babble...I'm a shooter...I was only thinking trade to benefit a collector because i have 25 rds thru it and runs great and hits right to point of aim...within a 1/2 inch of a Snazzy Nite Hawk a friend has out to 25 yrds maybe...then the Hawk does it's thing...but I think it would be fun to out shoot some of those high dollar guns...ya know...with one that's *100* years old.

BTW I looked up the proof marks on the barrel of that old Colt years ago...was made in Britain (just the barrel) but it wasn't a new barrel...nothing on it was new to my knowledge and it had the REAL Parkerized finish too. Could be a barrel made here supplied to them and returned after the war. I remember standing in the woods in the shade and a buddy was firing it...was a sunny day and when the bullets went thru the sunbeam you could see 'em.

I'm rambling off topic down memory lane...sorry...

·
Registered
40 Posts
the Super Carry "Custom" is the 5" version, i have it in the HD model and i love it, all black, all steel can't go wrong.....belive it or not, its my EDC!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The Colt name will likely always bring a bigger premium. Not going to debate whether that's valid or not.
Well...I am gonna post on the Colt forum here in a bit...Instead of trading the 100 yr Colt, I traded my Master Carry Pro...Man, I going nuts right now...it's a 1980CM Special Government.

I noticed you make grips....cool, My Step Father did too...his name was Vann...I will include my new one with my 100 yr....it has the grip panels he made for himself...his favorites...only ones he never signed...He died last week and I will miss him...My Colt wears his grips in his honor.

Title my post 1980CM Colt Special Government....Gotta get a pic first

·
Registered
40 Posts
condolences to you and your family Z, i am sure your step father was a great man and had some talent if he could make grips. Wear that colt and his grips proudly and don't give them up...he will always be your right hand man (pun) (assuming you are right handed) when you need him, forever be by your side:(

1 - 20 of 23 Posts