1911Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ordering a Dillion 550 this week and want to know if it is wise to order any of the options or just the basics. It will be for a .45 and 9mm.

Thanks for any ideas.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have a Dillon 650, but the roller handle and strong mount are worth getting. The bullet tray is handy but you can live without it. I also have the low powder dispenser, but that option is unnecessary.
My 2 cents.....

·
Registered
766 Posts
I love the Bullet tray addition and will suggest the strong mount but that will depend on your on the table or bench you are mounting the press to. If your bench or table is low the strong mount will bring it up to a more comfrotable level for long reloading sessions.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I agree that the strong mount really depends on the height of your bench. I like to be in a position to be able to look into the case to visually verify the powder level before I seat a bullet.

I would suggest having enough extra primer pick-up tubes so that you don't have to stop reloading ammo to reload the tubes during a session of reloading. I keep about 10 of each small and large.

·
Registered
220 Posts
1. Plenty of primer tubes.

2. Complete tool head set up for each caliber.

3. I will probably differ from some here, but I would not recommend the roller handle on a 550. On the 650, it is fine, since your hand stays on the handle, left hand placing bullets. On the 550, your hand comes on and off the handle for every round, reaching for brass, and I found mine to be uncomfortable as could be, and also much slower. I sent it back, and they gave me a credit for something else.

My $.02.

Rich

·
Registered
3 Posts
Originally posted by woodman:
I'm ordering a Dillion 550 this week and want to know if it is wise to order any of the options or just the basics. It will be for a .45 and 9mm.

Thanks for any ideas.
I don't use the low powder dispenser or the "out of primer" alarm. I have found it pays to watch for the primer on the back stoke. On rare occasions primer will not be dropped.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I will agree with everyone so far who mentioned extra primer tubes. I always have four tubes in each size handy.

I have never used the strongmount, roller handle, or bullet tray, but I have about a dozen extra akrobins. These are really handy. When one fills with loaded ammo, I just change it out and keep going. I also use one as my "bullet tray."

The only other accessory I can recommend in the Dillon primer flip tray. It is the best on the market. It works great with the Federal primer packages.

Enjoy you new toy.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Most of the suggestions I would make have already been mentioned, except the electronic scale. IMO it is well worth the extra price. Dillon offers it as part of an accessories package I believe. Unless your bench is anchored in steel & concrete, you will need to frequently rezero the scale. With the electronic scale it is simply a push of the button.
If you will be standing, then get the strong mount. The low powder sensor is not necessary - you can see it clearly.
Add the bullet tray later. It saves a minimal amount of time.
Ditto on the extra primer tubes.
I would say the primer flip tray is the best accessory $ you will spend in terms of the time saved and added safety.
Finally, if you load a second caliber then get the toolhead stand for the extra set up. Once you get your "perfect" load dialed in you will NOT want to have to reset every station.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all that replyed. It payes to have first hand experience from someone who has a 550 before I invest in options that are not needed.
I reloaded my first .38 casing in 1972 so I guess its about time I progressed to something a little faster. Also, maybe it will make more time to shoot.

Again, thanks to all.

Woodman

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have been reloading 9mm and .357 for a year now with my 550. Now, I'm ordering the extras for 45ACP. Toolhead, powder die, and conversion kit.

I like the handle the way it is, I found no need for the Al handle.

I use local procurred trays like the catch tray for cases, bullets for each caliber I have. They run $1.99 each.

My $0.02

·
Registered
126 Posts
Low primer alarm is real nice, but the one thing you REALLY NEED is a plastic milk jug. Cut small tabs out of the flat part, punch hole near one end, put under shellplate buttons .

·
Registered
45 Posts
Dvcer,

The milk jug tabs are a great idea. I've seen it suggested before, but never thought much about it untill now. I recently moved to a Dillon XL650 and am happy as a pig in slop. The only problem I have is trying to remove the buttons without dropping them. I'm all thumbs. Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't understand what the milk jug tabs do for you ? Can someone explain ??

THANKS.

------------------
Dr. Bill

·
Registered
10 Posts
You make a tab that you push the pin through and when you need to lift out the pin you can just lift the plastic tab instead of having to use your finger nails to get it out.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Ditto on the extra primer tubes, Akro Bins and the Dillon flip tray.

I load on a 650 with the casefeeder and so get moving along at pretty good pace. Because of that I do use the low primer warning and I have the powder charge indicators on each of my toolheads.

T

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by woodman:

Thanks for any ideas.
Don't forget to buy a case guage for each caliber if you don't already have them. It makes it so easy to pick out any rounds that
might have a high primer, dinged rim or not taper crimped properly. Next to the primer flip tray its also the best money spent on
any piece of reloading equipment.
Recommend eyeballing your powder as you place the bullet to be sure its charged. A squib load during rapid fire or in a subgun
can be costly.
Enjoy...Ive had mine for a few years and love every minute of using it. Loading for a couple of subguns and several pistol and rifle calibers, it has more than paid for itself.
I agree with a post up the board about the ball handle. I think its much smoother to operate and gives a better feel when setting the primers.
Good Luck, and by all means "Think Safety"
If your not sure...STOP!!!! pull the bullet and dump it out and check what you think might be wrong.

------------------
thesenator

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks eyeryone for all the info. I'm glad I waited to see all the replies because I was visiting a gun shop in St. Louis over the weekend and this particular shop had both the 550 and 650 setup and allowed me to try them out. After much soul searching and digging in my billfold for extra cash I decided to opt for the 650. I didn't purchase any of the extras because my billfold looked like the old proverbial dry well. I am set up to go with .45 and 9mm and can purchase add ons as the Christmas money comes in.

Again thanks, all your information has been appreciated.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts