1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dillon 650 detail cleaning and FP-10 ( 3 year review, Long)

After a year and 25k trouble free rounds loaded my Dillon 650 was getting pretty gummed up. A few of the Plastic parts that operate cams had begun to wear a bit and I want to replace all the small springs. Bottom line is the press was just not working as well as it once was.

So I detail stripped the entire machine down to the bare press. Then I carefully cleaned each part with FP-10. I very gently stoned both side of the primer disk to smooth it. I stoned the underside of the Shell plate to remove some burrs and high spots created by debris that had managed to work it way under the plate and score its surface over time.
I replaced all the Non-metal parts with new and replace all the springs. ( parts and springs free from Dillon.

I wiped the excess FP-10 off of everything except the ram which I left wet and reassembled the press.

BUTTER PURE BUTTER! Using the press is like having sex. Every time you crank the handle you can’t believe how good it feels. This press is now three years old and has roughly 75,000 rounds of 45 ACP loaded on it. In those three years all of my problems happened in the first 6 months while I slowly learned how to make the press work well.

I broke a lot of things when was just starting out on this press, but Dillon was great about it. At first my press mounting was not strong enough. This caused most of my teething issues. The priming system and bullet feed system never worked right. The COL varied more than I liked. As soon as I quite screwing around with substandard loading benches and put the press on a strong mount these issues all disappeared.

Dies, use the Dillon Dies. Other companies make great Dies. I really like Redding dies. I still use the Redding Competition Seating bullet seating die. But the folks save your self some heartburn and when you are starting out use the EXCELLENT Dillon dies. They have large tapers at the bottom which really helps operation in the progressive press.

Use your Dillon press for production runs only. Some will disagree here but I think its wise to mount a small cheap, used, stolen, borrowed or other wise acquired single stage
Press on your bench to do you load development. I use a RCBS Rock Chucker I picked up bare at a gun show for 35 dollars. Bought Hornadys Excellent Locking rings for all of my dies so switching dies takes about 30 seconds on the Rock Chucker. Once I have a load I want in quantity I duplicate it on the Dillon and make a bunch fast.

I could careless how my brass looks but I do care how well it loads. Clean brass goes through the press so much better than dirty brass. Lubing 5000 pieces of brass even with Hornady One shot and the milk jug method is a pain. Letting your brass run for a while in the tumblers is not. I have two tumblers. I use walnut in one to clean the brass up. Then I run it through the other tumble with corn cob to polish it up super shinny. I find if I do this it goes through the press almost as well as lubed cases.

This what has worked for me.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I just got my first progressive, a 550B, two days before Christmas, and started to have primer feeding problems within a couple of hundred rounds. A very thin wipe of FP-10 on the transfer bar and it is perfectly happy now.

Btw, it's Dillon, not Dillion...just one "i". :)

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
EdGCNM said:
Btw, it's Dillon, not Dillion...just one "i". :)
Maybe yours is..... You must have one of the French made copies.

The really sweet and secret American made ones are spelled with an extra "i".

·
Banned
750 Posts
Jim,

Interesting and informative post. I think ya better stop Dillioning around before your wife catches you. She may not be real happy with that kind of relationship between you and your progressive.

(grin)

Dave in Oakwood, GA

·
Banned
1,049 Posts
bigjim, you've inspired me

My 650 is about 12 years old & I'm ashamed to say that I've never given it much TLC. Every once in awhile the ram gets a drop or two of oil (FP-10 nowadays) & the rest of the machine gets a dusting off with a small throwaway paint brush. There's a "hitch" when the shellplate indexes caused by a small notch in the cam. So I guess I'll break out the allen wrenches & give Dillon a call.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
I've never used FP-10 but after George left the forum I went and ordered the "Holiday Special" - 3 bottles of it. Sounds like my 550B will like this stuff! It's new enough not to be all gunked up, but the primer bar needs lubing occasionally.

Most of my initial problems were also caused by me, but it was my technique more than anything. I thought I could sit and reload, and was getting alot of rounds with no primer and getting powder everywhere. Since I went to standing up and getting a consistent "pull" everything works great!

·
Registered
483 Posts
"I wiped the excess FP-10 off of everything except the ram which I left wet and reassembled the press.

BUTTER PURE BUTTER! Using the press is like having sex."

Just wait 'till you're done before you light up a cigarrette, Big J.

;)

·
Banned
855 Posts
Dillon Purchase

Bigjim,

I hate to tear you away from your buttersmooth mistress, but I've got a few questions. :) I've decided to take the "progressive plunge" for my 45acp loading. I've been loading for dozens of rifle and pistol calibers on a Rock Chucker and don't have any complaints other than I want to shoot my 45s more than I want to reload for them. I don't mind reloading single stage for everything else do to my precision (read too uptight) loading techniques. I've been looking at the Square Deal B, for the single caliber/price it looks good, and it's got the Dillon warranty. For a lifetime investment, would it be better IYHO to jump to the 650? I realize that ANY Dillon progressive will seem great for a while, but will I be wanting to trade up after a while?

I can't give you any estimated rounds per year, but would be reloading for my dad and brother (both light shooters) as well as myself. When my new Kimber TLE gets back from the doctor I'd like to start seriously improving my shooting skills, and maybe IDPA on the weekends (like I need another hobby):)
Thanks in advance
Jason

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Dillon Purchase

jmcneil said:
Bigjim,

I hate to tear you away from your buttersmooth mistress, but I've got a few questions. :) I've decided to take the "progressive plunge" for my 45acp loading. I've been loading for dozens of rifle and pistol calibers on a Rock Chucker and don't have any complaints other than I want to shoot my 45s more than I want to reload for them. I don't mind reloading single stage for everything else do to my precision (read too uptight) loading techniques. I've been looking at the Square Deal B, for the single caliber/price it looks good, and it's got the Dillon warranty. For a lifetime investment, would it be better IYHO to jump to the 650? I realize that ANY Dillon progressive will seem great for a while, but will I be wanting to trade up after a while?

I can't give you any estimated rounds per year, but would be reloading for my dad and brother (both light shooters) as well as myself. When my new Kimber TLE gets back from the doctor I'd like to start seriously improving my shooting skills, and maybe IDPA on the weekends (like I need another hobby):)
Thanks in advance
Jason
Hi Jason,

I have a friend with a 550. He is always taking about how he can load as fast as I can on my 650. He can for about 5 mins. But he can not sustain the speed. I can load a a steady rate not pushing my self for hours! I have never owned a Square deal even seen one run. I think reloading is fun. I think shooting is much more fun! Rather have a press that is a bit of a over kill than get one that is to slow. Price should not be a issue of you shoot alot because lets face it you burn up 500 to 1000 rounds a month and your press is paid for in a matter of months, so who cares what it costs!

Heck If I had it to do over agin I would buy the 1050!

·
Banned
855 Posts
Thanks for the imput. I'll start keeping my eyes peeled for a deal on the 650. I want the auto indexing for sure----even more important to me than the case feeder, so unless I can find a cheap Sq Deal some where that I can sell w/o loosing money, I'll just get the 650.
Jason

1 - 11 of 11 Posts