1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my 550 ejects spent primers about 10-20 out of a hundred miss the spent primer catcher cup. I couldn't find anything to adjust on the press to remedy this. I've put up with this for years -primers on the floor and under the loading bench.

Today I took a piece of 2 inch wide plastic tape (duct tape would probably work as well) about 2 1/2 inches long, folded it sticky side in not quite in half so I had a 1/2 inch of sticky side out. I stuck it inside the left/back corner of the catcher cup sticking above the top of the cup about 1 inch so it funnels the primers into the cup.

Loaded 200 rounds and not a one missed the cup - maybe this has been fixed on newer models? or maybe it's not a common problem -

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
Mine does the same thing. I started using duct tape about 2 years ago in about the same way you are. Problem solved.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Mine did this back in the 80's when I got my first 550. A call to Dillon and they suggested drilling out the holes where the cotter pin goes through the primer catcher jaw thing---don't know the name of the part.... However I said why don't you guys (Dillon) drill one out and send it to me and I will send the old one back... They did that and I have never had a problem with prmers on the floor since.
Are these new press's you guys are talking about or older models?
If the problem has gone away----great..... If you still have a problem----call Dillon......

As a side note: One thing you will NEVER hear in the south.......
"YOU ALL CANN'T FIX THAT WITH DUCK TAPE" :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
:D
two possible causes for this:First, the aluminum cotter pin the spent primer catcher pivots on may be bent. Replace this with a small safety pin by pushing the pointy end through the holes and snapping it closed. Next, the cast roller bracket assembly may be off to the right a little. If it is too far to the right, then when it contacts the primer slide and opens to drop the primer, it opens over the back of the spent primer cup. Solve this by gently tapping the entire roller bracket assembly to the left. If tapped too far to the left, it will rub on the primer feed body.

·
Banned
2,929 Posts
Had the same problem with my 550. One day the tray itself broke right by where the screws go in under the shell plate. Dillon sent me a new one and since then no more problems. If they would bevel the cup lip at a 45 degree angle where the cup rests against the press this would help. suggested that to Dillon. No response! Primers sometimes collect on lip and eventually start boouncing all over the place. As I said replacement part seems to have stopped all that.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Dillonhelp -

I'll have to take a closer look at the primer catch mechanisim and try your fix.

My press is about 15 years old - probably loaded 40,000 rounds, I haven't done anything other than cleaning - lubing and the maintenance of the primer feed bar. The spent primers spilling is a minor nusiance I would like to solve permanently.

-Art

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
Had the same prob. What dillonhelp said is what was wrong with mine. The cotter pin was bent slightly and had turned and was holding the "trap door" open. I just pulled it and made sure it was straight and replaced it. No problems since.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Cotter pin.... guilty!

Had the same problem. It was the cotter pin not allowing the primer catcher to operate properly. A bit of straightening and all is well. But before I figured it out... what a mess!

·
Registered
688 Posts
Re: Cotter pin.... guilty!

mark1174 said:
Had the same problem. It was the cotter pin not allowing the primer catcher to operate properly. A bit of straightening and all is well. But before I figured it out... what a mess!
Mine does the same thing. In fact the primer catcher put a gouge in the primer slide.
The mount holes in the primer feed body stripped out. (looks like it could use longer bolts). I called Dillon, they sent a new primer feed body, but I had to file down around the gouge in the primer slde where the material had flared up a bit from the primer catcher hitting it all the time.

Dillonhelp, I'll try the safet pin thing to see if that'll help. The primer feed and catch system is kind of a weak spot in the whole 550 press design.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Dillonhelp,
thanks for the tip. I have been wondering where I would get a cotter pin that small!!!!
Dennis

1 - 11 of 11 Posts