1911Forum banner

Dillon 650XL breakdown /Great Customer Service

5K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  RetiredRod 
#1 ·
Just picked up a used Dillon 650 about a month ago. Reloaded 600 rounds of .223, and 800 rounds of .45 ACP before I started having problems.

I called Dillon and explained the issues with the press having difficulty seating on the upstroke. It was suggested that I relube a few areas and see what happens. Last week I broke the indexing ring in two. I called Dillon and they sent me a new indexing ring and alignment tool.

Yesterday I received the part and wasn't sure about a couple of steps and called Dillon. "Mike" answered and he stayed on the line with me until I had the entire process completed. He was very knowledgeable and it literally felt like I had him standing beside me. The only thing that was missing was a slap aside the head when I forgot to get the spring out of the old part for the "hatchet index arm". Mike was extremely professional and wanted to make sure that it worked right. He insisted that he stay on the line while I reloaded several .45 ACP to make sure there wasn't any hangups.

I was very impressed, plus I got a couple of neat tips. One to share with everyone. If you have to change the indexing ring...make sure you have a section of fishing line. Thread the line around one of the spring loops, and use the line to pull the spring around the piston. It makes re-attaching the spring around the piston so much easier.

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks for the info. I've been loading on a 650 for the last couple of years (and also my 550's), and have never heard of a "indexing ring". I'll have to look in the manual to see what it is. Would it be possible to get a picture of the alignment tool Dillon sent you?

I only have two issues with my 650. First, it seems to spill a little powder out of the cases as the shellplate rotates. After loading 100 rounds, I've got to blow (or vacuum, if I take the time) quite a bit of powder off the shellplate. And, second, I'll "squish" or "mash" about 2 primers out of every 100. But, even with those issues, I still like loading on my 650. :rock:

#3 ·
The indexing ring is the black ring that is at the top of the piston, under the plate. You see it move on the left side of the press each time you cycle the handle.

The alignment tool is essentially a solid powder measure. You have to take the entire top of the powder tube off..and insert it there.

PM me and I'll tell some other tips.

#4 ·
Rod- the 650 does index with "authority". That's why I like to use a little OneShot on the cases to smooth things out. I think you already do this? You can try tightening the shellplate a little to slow it down. But sometimes Rod. My favorite trick is to drag my left index or middle finger on shellplate as it's indexing to slow and smooth it a little. I have this down pretty good. Works well for me. I don't have problems with 45acp. But do have a little trouble with 9mm.

#11 ·
Rod- the 650 does index with "authority". My favorite trick is to drag my left index or middle finger on shellplate as it's indexing to slow and smooth it a little. I have this down pretty good. Works well for me. I don't have problems with 45acp. But do have a little trouble with 9mm.
Bob, yep, I do spray lube my cases. And, you also gave me the tip about dragging the rotation with your left index finger. I do that but it just doesn't seem to be enough. Of course, I'm loading 9mm rather than 45acp, and the powder is closer to the top of the case.

Here is a fix for the 650 spilling powder. Order these parts.
Go to http://www.mcmaster.com (McMaster Carr - a parts supplier, that doesn't have a minimum order requirement)
and order the following parts.

5909K31 1 Each Steel Needle-roller Thrust Bearing Cage Assembly For 1/2" Shaft Diameter, 15/16" OD
5909K44 2 Each .032" Thick Washer For 1/2" Shaft Diameter Steel Needle-roller Thrust Bearing

That's PARTNUMBER, QTY, DESC

Mind you this is an open bearing so you'll need to make sure and keep it clean and lubed.

http://arizonashooting.com/v3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=81244
Thank you, sir. Parts have been ordered from McMaster. This is a great Christmas gift. :rock:

#7 ·
Here is a fix for the 650 spilling powder. Order these parts.
Go to http://www.mcmaster.com (McMaster Carr - a parts supplier, that doesn't have a minimum order requirement)
and order the following parts.

5909K31 1 Each Steel Needle-roller Thrust Bearing Cage Assembly For 1/2" Shaft Diameter, 15/16" OD
5909K44 2 Each .032" Thick Washer For 1/2" Shaft Diameter Steel Needle-roller Thrust Bearing

That's PARTNUMBER, QTY, DESC

Mind you this is an open bearing so you'll need to make sure and keep it clean and lubed.

http://arizonashooting.com/v3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=81244

#10 ·
I have to give a big +1 for this tip. I tried this a few weeks ago along with cutting ~3/4 of a coil off the ball detent spring and now the press indexes very smoothly. It does not 'snap' into position anymore, and no more spilled powder when I'm reloading 9mm. :rock:

#9 ·
Im about to find out.... Dang Red Orifices :biglaugh:

#12 ·
Other than using the fake powder die as a guide, what is changed, in order to make the shell plate advance more or advance less? I need to retard the advance of my 650's shellplate by just a couple of millimeters.

#13 ·
Pull the press down half-way...the indexing ring will expose a small hex screw in the ram on the left side. Loosen that up with a hex wrench...leave the wrench in the screw. Next step...take the large wrench and either loosen or tighten the shell plate. Dillon suggested that I use my finger to index the plate as I tighten the plate down. Once you have the tension where you want it, then tighted the hex screw that is on the ram. It has pretty much eliminated the indexer from jumping. Also, remember to lube the grove that the ring moves on.

The step is also in the Dillon 650XL video too.

#19 ·
WalterGC,
On the left side of the frame adjacent to where the shaft comes out, an arrow-shaped cam is attached with two small bolts. Stock#16671, seen on the machine assembly exploded drawing. The upper bolt is slotted;loosen both bolts slightly, and advance or retard the distance of travel by which direction you tip this camming block. We have a small alignment tool, shaped like a tube, that slips over the primer seating punch, to make this easier. Phone or e-mail your address, and we'll mail one to you.

#21 · (Edited)
Thanks much for the expeditious help. If I'm unable to retard the shellplate accurately, I'll give you guys a call. It's only off a millimeter or two.

Edit: Just made the adjustment. Took a few seconds, and things are lining up perfectly now. I'd originally loosened the two screws, but erroneously thought that the part moved up and down, rather than "sideways". :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.