1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a well-used 550 and this problem just cropped up. My primer cup is not picking up a primer. So, I take it apart and clean with alcohol. Still doesn't work. I then notice that the primer bar itself is pretty tightly wedged with the cast part at the bottom of the primer tube. (This cast part is anchored by two Allen head screws which come from the bottom up.) The primer bar does not want to slide; it's like the spring (which forces the bar to slide) is too weak. Any clues?

·
Registered
323 Posts
If there's a weakness in the Dillon system, this is it.

Does the primer bar move back and forth smoothly when there are no primers or primer tube in the machine? If not, a heavier (or new) spring may get the primer bar to move, but since it is spring pressure you may end up flinging primers across the room. With springs and actuators disconnected the assembled primer bar should move smoothly through the entire range by hand. If there is a hang up it will have to be re-aligned or smoothed out. My 550 requires a little lube on the contact surfaces to move smoothly.

If the bar moves smoothly empty but hangs up when primers and primer tube are introduced, You may need a new primer tube end. If the primer tube is heavily over tightened it can crush. This may allow it to interfere with the edge of the primer cup on the transfer bar.

Good luck. Don't get discouraged. It will work and can be fixed no matter what is wrong. Just take it one component at a time.

·
Registered
550 Posts
You can induce this problem by over-tightening the hex screws that hold the priming system to the press. But, for the best advice, call Dillon. They are always happy to help and will likely get you going in short order.

·
Registered
366 Posts
The same thing happened to me. My first guess is that it is dirty & needs to be cleaned then LIGHTLY lubed. Most likely you need to take it apart like you were going to change primer sizes. The video shows you how. First try a quick fix of rubbing alcohol on Q-Tips & patches of cotton fabric. Lightly lube all rubbing areas EXCEPT the primer cup. I have used Tetra Gun synthetic oil for months now. Just about any oil that won't attract a lot of dust & dirt will work. Good Luck! Call Dillon if all else fails.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Stop! Before you do anything call Dillon ask to talk to one of their techs tell them what the problem is and they will help you. If any new parts are needed they will send them to you free of charge. The number is; 1(800)762-3845, also ask them for the free Bluepress catalog it's full of useful info..
Besafe..T.Labren

1 - 5 of 5 Posts