1911Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Before you damage the plastic primer pickup tips to get them off the tubes, try applying just a little heat from either a blow dryer or heat gun. That may allow the plastic to expand enough that they can be removed without damage. I've had my 550B for over 20 years and love the manual advance as it gives me more control of the process, especially when there is a problem, it simplifies clearing the problem round. Only problem I ever had was from me over tightening the (2) primer assembly bolts. I was getting primers flipping over, hanging up and failures to feed and it was driving me nuts. After looking everything over the setup from beginning to end & knowing my tendency to over tighten things I figured out where I was screwing up. Completely from me using too much umph.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I bought a 550C back in November to reload 9mm and .45acp. I too had been using a turret press with RCBS dies. It took me 3 or 4 loading sessions to get "coordinated" in running the press. I experimented to find a sequence of hand movements that was efficient and comfortable at the same time. The idea for me is to run the press smoothly and not try to run it fast. I am now able to load about 325 to 350 rounds an hour and I do not feel at all like I'm in a rush. I spot check charge weights and COL and it's amazing how consistent they are. I thought I would use the RCBS dies and honestly never saw the advantage in seating/crimping separately. But I went ahead and got the Dillon dies and I'm glad I did. I think the larger radius opening helps the press run better and I think seating/crimping separately helps with ammo consistency. I purchased a deluxe quick change assembly which makes caliber changes a snap (no adjusting dies or powder measure) and extra primer pickup tubes. I wish I had converted to the 550 sooner. Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
After reloading on a single stage and turret for decades I went to a 550 a couple of years ago. A 550 is a very nice press and really not all that difficult to run. Still the change took me a while to get used to.

Reloaders are creatures of (good) habits. Takes a while to break habits. Good or bad.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts