1911Forum banner

Dillon RL550B Lubrication

5K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Toymaker 
#1 ·
I have a 20 YO 550B that I'm disassembling for a complete lube job. Apparently current models have linkage arms that are drilled for grease gun access. What size [diameter] drill is used for the grease holes ?

#2 ·
You need to know the size of the grease fitting

I think the question is what size grease fitting do you plan to install? Check the treads, which will tell you what tap to use and what size drill falls out from that. A lot of grease fittings have tapered threads.

This seems like a lot of work to lubicate something that has worked just fine for 20 years. You might just use some spray grease like Superlube that will penetrate the joint. The bearing surfaces are not under any particularly heavy load, and lubrication theory says use the thinnest lube that will do the job. I think Dillion presses are the best, but grease fittings are more salesmanship than necessity.

#3 ·
RL-550 Lubing

These are notes that I copy from some place:

Reassembly of 550, emphasis on lube points

a) lube shaft (#13775) w/ 30 wt motor oil
b) lube all pivot pins (#13700, #13830, #13834, #13881) with grease
c) lightly grease short end of op-rod (#13869) , where it enters bracket (#13887 )
e) clean primer retaining pin hole, lightly grease head end of pin (#14051)
f) lightly grease underside of shellplate bolt (#13794) , where it recesses into index sprocket
g) lightly grease rails on connector body collar
h) lightly grease roller (#13765) on connector body collar

#4 ·
Oh Oh, guess I've screwed up. My 550 is 20+ years old and I just put drop of gun oil (Mpbile 1) on pivit parts and wipe a little on the main shaft every once in awhile!! Works fine for me. Really fellows, grease fittings are a little to do about nothing.. Just keep a little oil on it and don't go to that much trouble. Ren

#5 ·
One caveat about Mobil 1: If you're reloading in an environment that's colder than -60*F, or hotter than 400*F, then you'll need to use another lube. Otherwise, Mobil 1 is probably about the best there is.

#9 ·
The factory drilled lube holes are the perfect size for the straw that comes with your favorite aerosol spray lube. Break Free, LPS, whatever will inject right into those holes via the straw.
My 550B moves so freely that at about half stroke on an empty machine the handle will move by itself.

Take care,
Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.