1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brownells sells a rod that slides down the barrrel and gauges proper location for the firing pin hole. I'd like to have one, but I think I could make one of these on my lathe. Does anyone know of a drawing I could use to make one?

·
Premium Member
14,581 Posts
Hey! Land diameter = 0.4420 inch unless it's a Nowlin which is smaller at .4405.I find simply using a deprimed resized case,with the firing pin removed gives a good visual of the alignment.

·
Banned
672 Posts
In my deprimed, resized cases I put a little bit of modeling clay in the primer pocket and scrape it off flush. Insert it in the chamber, and I push the firing pin through the breechface slightly until I have a witness mark in the clay. This gives me a pretty good idea of the relationship of the rear of the barrel with the firing pin hole. YMMV.

Dave

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey! Land diameter = 0.4420 inch unless it's a Nowlin which is smaller at .4405.I find simply using a deprimed resized case,with the firing pin removed gives a good visual of the alignment.
Thanks! I'd think that the rod would be sized a little smaller than land diameter to account for the tolerance range for firing pin location. Would the rod really be at the actual land diameter?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Is this the information you are looking for? You can make two rods with each having one size tip on it or you can make one rod with both tips on as in the drawing. The two tip sizes shown will fit most all commonly found current production pin holes and if you come across one that it won't work on you can just make another one. The rod, along with some dykem on the breech face, will let you know how close you are getting to the center of the pin hole as well as if you need to adjust your lug cuts to move slightly right or left. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is this the information you are looking for? You can make two rods with each having one size tip on it or you can make one rod with both tips on as in the drawing. The two tip sizes shown will fit most all commonly found current production pin holes and if you come across one that it won't work on you can just make another one. The rod, along with some dykem on the breech face, will let you know how close you are getting to the center of the pin hole as well as if you need to adjust your lug cuts to move slightly right or left. Hope this helps.
Great! Thanks! I have both volumes of Kuhnhausen's book and couldn't find it in there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts