1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, you guys have a really nice and informative site, I have enjoyed my time visiting here. I just bpicked up a 1991A1 Commander and from what I've learned here, I think it may have the "dimpled" barrel. Problem is, all of the links to pics I've found through the search function are too old and are no longer there. Can any one post a pic of what these newer barrels look like from the chamber end? Thanks for any info.

·
Administrator
73,386 Posts
I don't think I have any of my old pics anymore, but the dimple throat is easy to spot. There is a very narrow, steep feed ramp at the 6 o'clock position and a larger, shallower feed ramp that extends from roughly the 4 o-clock through 8 o'clock position. Virtually all new Colts come with this setup. The traditional "wide" feed ramp is usually a single half-moon shaped profile, while the old GI feed ramp is a single narrow profile.

The idea behind the new "dimple" throat is that it allows reliable feeding of JHP ammunition while providing better support of the case head. Some gunsmiths haven't gotten the message, and when they see it they think the barrel is unthroated and charge the customer to alter it to the conventional wide throat profile.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts

Note the new throat configuration on the barrel on the right. Believe it or not, this new setup actually improves reliability and reduces the chances of case blowout by better supporting the case head. All current-production Colts use this new configuration, including the new Series 70 pistols. An original GI barrel is at the far left, while a normal "throated" barrel is shown in the middle for comparison.

This is from dsk's wonderful page that can be found here: http://www.m1911.org/prodte26.htm

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the pic and info guys. From what I can tell, mine is the dimple style, the center ramp looks a little different, but it could be the lighting. One more ?, this looks like a stainless barrel, is it?

·
Administrator
73,386 Posts
Good to see I still have that pic somewhere. I probably need to take a new picture with better lighting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts