1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1991 nrm ss colt with feeding problem consistently on the last round. i brought it to the store where i purchased it and they removed the little bump/ "dimple" on top of the follower thinking that it was the one causing the jam. However it did not solve the problem. It was the magazine's lips that was too tight which caused the jams and a little adjustment solved the problem.

my question now is What's the function of that little bump/ dimple on top of the mag follower if ever there is one? it was already removed from one of my magazines. would there be an effect on my pistol?

thanks

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
vinzmd, I don't know the answer to your question, but one of the smartypants cruising this forum will. The good news is that replacement followers--and magazines, for that matter--are plentiful and relatively cheap, if you come to find out the bump is important.

Since you're a new member (Welcome!), I just wanted to comment on something else. IMO, I would NEVER let a gunstore counter jockey work on my gun, even if it was to remove a little bump on a follower. Lots of these yahoos would have just as easily said "Let's take the Dremel to the feed ramp.....it'll only take a minute!" (That's assuming that they'd know how to disassemble a 1911; a real stretch for many of them.)

Once a pistol leaves a gunshop, I think it should only be repaired in one of two places: 1) At a COMPETENT 1911 gunsmith (which, fairly, might reside in the backroom of your local gunshop) or 2) at the manufacturer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
freemont, wolfgang:

i brought it back to the store and they replaced my magazines. i did'nt know that that little bump on the follower has an important function as far as feeding is concerned until i read the thread that wolfgang posted. those guys at the store doesnt know what they're doing. :(

freemont/wolfgang, thanks alot for the infos..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts