1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Based on the advice of fellow shooters I recently bought 4 lbs of VV 340 thinking it would be good compromise between the 320 and the 350. I loaded it to 6.1 gr. behind a 230 gr. polymer coated Precision bullet (170 PF).

The VV 340 was so dirty that it left large granules in the gun that actually impeded the feeding. I ended up going back to my old "dirty" W231 which is a whole lot cleaner than the VV 340. I'm guessing that the powder might be cleaner if I pushed it. Anyone have any experience with VV 340?

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I don't have any experience with 340 - but I've found that when I had unburned powder granules and soot in the gun it was usually due to a light crimp. On light loads especially you need to build a little pressure in the case for the charge to burn efficiently. So check your crimp.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
The VV N340 is going to be a lot slower burning than your W231. I have found that VV N320 and W231 are similar in weight required and velocity. I am using N310 and N320 in .45's and like it very much. Both burn clean for me.

------------------
John

"And by the way, Mr. Speaker, The Second Amendment is not for killing ducks and leaving Huey and Dewey and Louie without an aunt and uncle. It is for hunting politicians like (in) Grozney and in 1776, when they take your independence away".
Robert K. Dornen, U.S. Congressman. 1995

1 - 3 of 3 Posts