1911Forum banner

Disabled in IDPA?

1295 8
This might be a strange question, but I E-mailed the IDPA and no one answered. Maybe someone here can help me.

Is there a class in the IDPA for disabled people? Or How high impact would competing be on hip joints? And how much actual running do you have to do?
I am losing the cartilage in my hips, so I have to be careful about the impact that I put them, ie.. I can't run, etc....
Or my hip could just dislocate, and that would suck.

Thanks for any insight.......:scratch:
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
114 Posts
I have a trouble some back and knee, I don't run thru the courses, just walk.
I have fun, learn new things and practice things I can not do at a normal shooting range. I will never win, I know it and so what, at least I'm having fun with good people.

Mikehp

· Super Moderator
13,633 Posts
There is no "disable" division, all shooters are treated equal. There is no running required in IDPA, "moving at a brisk pace" maybe, but no running. That being said, we have two excellent shooters who have prostesis legs and a 70+ year old veterans with creaky joints :) and they do just fine. Go to a match and watch, or better yet, shoot the match at your own pace and enjoy yourself.

· Registered
700 Posts
+1 on RickyT's post.

Just to add this that experienced MD's that have regulars that show up can and should design COF's that won't put them at a significant time disadvantage. Meaning, if you have a COF that requires the shooter to take a knee or go to prone during the COF you can design that position to be at the end of the COF. Or if that position is at the start or middle you can break the COF into multiple strings without taking anything away from the design or challenge of the COF.

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mayonaise said:
+1 on RickyT's post.

Just to add this that experienced MD's that have regulars that show up can and should design COF's that won't put them at a significant time disadvantage. Meaning, if you have a COF that requires the shooter to take a knee or go to prone during the COF you can design that position to be at the end of the COF. Or if that position is at the start or middle you can break the COF into multiple strings without taking anything away from the design or challenge of the COF.
I tried to look this up and couldn't find it anywhere, but what is MD and COF
Med doctor is the only thing I could come up with on the MD.

Thanks

· Registered
23,953 Posts
Match Director
Course Of Fire

You will also see initialisms for:
Safety Officer
Procedural Error
Failure To Do Right
DisQualification.

Rules are online at www.idpa.com

You will be made welcome. You will not be required to move more than ten yards between firing points or more than 15 for a given COF. Usually a good deal less. Move at your own best rate. We won't make you do anything that would be hazardous to your health or unsafe to others. But you will be scored along with everybody in your Division (by gun) and Class (by shooting ability.)

· Registered
335 Posts
IDPA Involvement

Hi Rick,

If you were in this area, it would be fun to have you involved with us at Red Brush. Please let any members or those involved know of any particular questions about your competing in the future.

· Registered
59 Posts
disabled shooters

We have a shooter In Phoenix that competes regularly in a wheelchair. He shoots competetively. The rulebook gives limits on the amount of movement between firing positions and the overall amount of movement on a stage in the section regarding course design.Obvously a person in a wheelchair or with worn out body parts can't move as fast as a 21 year old, Go shoot a match and you'll have fun. That's why most of us shoot anyway.

· Registered
75 Posts
From what I've seen a handicapped shooter will be required to do everything that everyone else does irregardless of bad knees or paralyzed legs.

There are no provisions that I've seen in IDPA (or USPSA for that matter) for the handicapped. I've seen a wheelchair bound shooter shoot stage three of the Classifier by advancing to the barrel through sand.

It would not surprise me to see a handicapped shooter to be penalized for not doing something required that they could not do.

Respectfully,

jkelly

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.