1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new SA-35 shoots low. I've calculated the correction needed in my front sight height to be .030" lower than it presently is. I don't want to file the sight so I emailed SA customer service TWICE and asked if they had a lower front sight or a plain front sight without the dot that I could file.

It's been weeks now and all I've heard are crickets. Very disappointing.

·
Premium Member
5,732 Posts
It seems that SA is having lots of bugs they need to work out.

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
These are tough times. Many companies are short on help. I understand and empathize with all who paid their money and want immediate attention - but sometimes we just have to give some extra slack. This seems to me to be one of those times.
Though I don’t own an SA product, I’ve read over the years about their exemplary service. If the past is any indication of the future, it will return to that.
I’d suggest a call(s), more emails and am confident you’ll be taken care of. I know it’s hard sometimes - but some understanding and with extra patience you’ll be a happier customer very soon.
Good luck and hope it works out well and fast.

·
Registered
22,646 Posts
Odds are it was jigged up to "drive the dot". The Kewl Guys don't aim to the top of the post. The Real Kewl Guys are shooting "target focus".

Nobody seems to know what the dovetails are, but I'd be talking to the folks at Dawson, maybe they have it figured out.

·
Premium Member
7,277 Posts
My new SA-35 shoots low. I've calculated the correction needed in my front sight height to be .030" lower than it presently is. I don't want to file the sight so I emailed SA customer service TWICE and asked if they had a lower front sight or a plain front sight without the dot that I could file.

It's been weeks now and all I've heard are crickets. Very disappointing.
The largest fixed sight adjustment that I've ever actually made was for 0.022". That felt like a lot; more typical ~0.01".

Concur on calling ... but these days: on speaker and keep my music playing while I work until somebody answers.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Odds are it was jigged up to "drive the dot". The Kewl Guys don't aim to the top of the post. The Real Kewl Guys are shooting "target focus".
Nobody seems to know what the dovetails are, but I'd be talking to the folks at Dawson, maybe they have it figured out.
I use top of front sight and top of rear sight. Without a reference for the dot on the rear sight, it really makes no sense to me to have a dot on the front. I suppose I could fill in the dot with JB Weld and then file the front sight down but I'd rather save the original front sight and simply replace it. At 22 yards - measured with a rangefinder - I aim at the top of an 8 inch plate and hit it at 6 o'clock on the edge. That's with a 115 grain load. A 124 grain load will completely miss it and go under the plate. I prefer my POI to be an inch or two above POA. That's much easier to use.

·
Administrator
76,465 Posts
When Kimber first introduced their 1911s they all shot really low as well. I had to file down the sight on mine, and the guys who reviewed them in Handguns magazine did the same. Kimber eventually started shipping them with correct-height front sights. How a gun manufacturer can start shipping new guns without even knowing if the sights are regulated is beyond me.

·
Registered
16,301 Posts
Because they either don't know it's happening or they don't care. It's happens more than most people would believe.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I would also call if I were you. I don't think a lot of customer service desks from firearms companies do well with email communication. I emailed Mossberg in 2011 essentially telling them that I was about to buy one model shotgun or another within the next few days but wanted to know the difference between the two.
Still waiting to hear back!😁

·
Administrator
76,465 Posts
When this pistol was first announced I tried to get in line to buy one as soon as they hit the market. With all of these teething pains however I'm now glad I didn't find one, as it looks like I need to hold off for a few months while Springfield gets their act together. To think this is a handgun that's been made in the millions by other companies over the past 80 years, yet Springfield is running into issues as if it's a ground-up design still in the beta test stage.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I learned the hard way on several "new gun" purchases over the last few years.
On the occasions where I just "had to get one of those" I ordered a few of the
first production examples. There was a Kimber, a Sig to name two that I got
burned on only to find out that six months down the road revisions were made
to eliminate the issues I was having.

I wait at least 6-8 months now before I purchase any initial production gun.

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
I had a similar situation with my DW, having to swap out a .160” for a .140” front sight.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts